Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He looked like he was focused on someone in the crowd in the far corner, maybe family/friends there for the game? But yeah, odd that he didn't acknowledge Kastalic at all until they gathered by the bench..

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
There is absolutely no way that I am going to trade Chabot unless we are getting a top4 defenseman back.

Just get rid of Chychrun and find a steady top4 RHD to play with Chabot or Sanderson

I am very confident with the bottom top4

Sanderson - RHD (acquired via trade/signing)
Chabot - Zub

Now our core forwards need to get their defensive act together. I am mainly looking at Batherson, Tkachuk and Stutzle
That’s the point of trading him so yeah it’s a requirement.
Get back or sign a top 4 RHD. Would have 8 mil! to spend.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yes this is probably the best way of putting it. There is no way any of our current players are a core member on a contending team.

I think guys like Stu and Sanderson can get there (although they are not right now), but I don't think we have anyone else on the roster capable of that (including Brady, Chabot, Norris, Bath etc).
'
Stutzle and Sanderson are elite talents, they were only 21 y/o this season. They will get there or another team will snag them (see Zibanejad for example) and get them there.

Elite players : Tim Stutzle - Jake Sanderson

Star players : Brady Tkachuk, Drake Batherson, Thomas Chabot

High End players : Shane Pinto?

Great Support players : Ridly Greig, Artem Zub

Great Role players : Mathieu Joseph, Zack Ostapchuk? Tyler Kleven?

* Josh Norris should be a star but as of now a big question mark going forward with his injuries (the guy paced for 43 goals and 68 pts at 22 y/o while facing top competition every night)

* Claude Giroux has been an Elite pretty much all his career but is 36 y/o now, hopefully he still has a few great veteran years to offer

* Jakob Chychrun is supposed to be a high end player but maybe more with another team

* Erik Brannstrom could be a great role/support player but maybe more with another team

I don't think we need a ton of elite and star players, but a bit more high end and great support/role players.

Reactions: NB613 and Flamingo

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
'
Stutzle and Sanderson are elite talents, they were only 21 y/o this season. They will get there or another team will snag them (see Zibanejad for example) and get them there.

Elite players : Tim Stutzle - Jake Sanderson

Star players : Brady Tkachuk, Drake Batherson, Thomas Chabot

High End players : Shane Pinto?

Great Support players : Ridly Greig, Artem Zub

Great Role players : Mathieu Joseph, Zack Ostapchuk? Tyler Kleven?

* Josh Norris should be a star but as of now a big question mark going forward with his injuries (the guy paced for 43 goals and 68 pts at 22 y/o while facing top competition every night)

* Claude Giroux has been an Elite pretty much all his career but is 36 y/o now, hopefully he still has a few great veteran years to offer

* Jakob Chychrun is supposed to be a high end player but maybe more with another team

* Erik Brannstrom could be a great role/support player but maybe more with another team

I don't think we need a ton of elite and star players, but a bit more high end and great support/role players.
I disagree with some rankings here. Batherson I'd move to great support player/higher end, Chabot I'd put into Support Player. We probably need 1-2 more higher end guys at least I'd say.

Agree that you don't need a ton of elite players or anything, but most contenders do. The only recent Cup winner without several elite/star players would be St. Louis and that was more of a one-off really. They had a crazy amount of high-end two-way players and a great d-core.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Correlation always equals causation here
You tend to let is slide in his causation when he is absolutely atrocious in games they win. I think most posters can recognize when a player has a bad game and they win and a good game when they lose. I think in general the team takes on his laissez fair attitude when he is in the lineup.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You tend to let is slide in his causation when he is absolutely atrocious in games they win. I think most posters can recognize when a player has a bad game and they win and a good game when they lose. I think in general the team takes on his laissez fair attitude when he is in the lineup.
I'm not sure what any of that has to do with what I responded too aside from the thought that they take on his attitude when he's in the lineup, which I definitely don't agree with

If you think I'm letting Chabot slide vs others, not sure what to tell you. He has some very bad games, like all the guys on the team.

I definitely have a higher opinion of him than the general sentiment on the board, though that's not to say that opinion is extremely high, just that the sentiment on the board is much, much lower than his actual play IMO

I’d be very happy to send him on his way if it improved the team.

Last edited:

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Really believe this teams issue is deeper than a Chychrun trade

We need to really think about moving Chabot to change the culture problem this team has. Chabots been part of the fabric here for long time, time he moves on. He's got great skill, but this team needs a MAJOR shake up that a Chychrun trade won't have an effect on.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

We need to really think about moving Chabot to change the culture problem this team has. Chabots been part of the fabric here for long time, time he moves on. He's got great skill, but this team needs a MAJOR shake up that a Chychrun trade won't have an effect on.
I think it’s less about who we move out, and more about who we move in, from coach to players.

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida

He’s basically the face of everything that’s gone wrong since 2017. The guy was in that infamous Uber just to put things in perspective. He’s been around for the entire dark age.

Yeah, I’m calling it a dark age. 2017-Present….

We have 5 guys making 8M. None of them are carrying the team.
Sad story

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
He’s basically the face of everything that’s gone wrong since 2017. The guy was in that infamous Uber just to put things in perspective. He’s been around for the entire dark age.

Yeah, I’m calling it a dark age. 2017-Present….

Sad story
Chabots been here since Chris Widemans uber ride

All he's seen is losing

At some point it gets ingrained in you

Almost forget how to win

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
was pretty harsh to see guys like Karlsson and Stone be shipped off.

but im so over this core and sort of excited to see them phased out and finally see the new, new Senators.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Based on discussion on Tij Iginla, I was checking out Jerome Iginla and his draft year stats and such. What stood out to me and is in line with this discussion, is that when he first came into the NHL, his first 2 games were playoff games and then he went 7 straight years without making the playoffs and the first year that they did after the 7 years, they went to the Cup against the Lightning in 2004 (see below).

I guess that the point is that the team and the player need to stick with it and ride out these lean years. That said, 2024 is much different than 2004 and both sides no longer have the patience to do so.

View attachment 837902

I was a big Jerome Iginla fan and all I thought when he was in Calgary was get this guy to a playoff team. Cup finals run was fun but Iginla deserved playoffs in his prime and I wanted that too.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Call me crazy but I think a good (and consistent) D partner for Chabot and a good coach can make a world of difference. We’ve already seen flashes since Martin came in.

Probably the smarter investment than selling him off for another bad contract just to say you changed the make up of the roster.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Call me crazy but I think a good (and consistent) D partner for Chabot and a good coach can make a world of difference. We’ve already seen flashes since Martin came in.

Probably the smarter investment than selling him off for another bad contract just to say you changed the make up of the roster.
Not crazy whatsoever, common sense really.

A guy who can naturally play on the right side and contrast his game. Shouldn’t be very hard to find. But we’ve recycled guys into that role for the past 5 years. Then for some reason thought adding another left handed offensive D on the right was a wise decision.

There was a time our GM told us that Zubs contract coincided with Thomson and JBD transitioning into the top 4. That’s where we put all our eggs for the right side, and we are feeling those effects now.

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Who needs a specific partner when you are that good
Look at Sandy
Just need a bit more time to adapt to new coaching
Norris winner in 2025 book it

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Who needs a specific partner when you are that good
Look at Sandy
Just need a bit more time to adapt to new coaching
Norris winner in 2025 book it

Because no one is Sanderson, he’s a special defenseman with very few flaws. Holding Chabot to that standard just because he’s overpaid is pointless.

Chabot has flaws but if you pair him with a guy that actually complements him, you can minimize them rather than accentuating them. The hope that everyone can perform regardless of who they’re playing with is idealistic, for most players it’s not realistic.

Reactions: DrEasy and bicboi64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad