Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Point is Chabot has sucked the past couple of seasons, doesn’t take a genius to figure that out.

Another anchor contracts for a guy who doesn’t care on the ice and is soft.
Good rule of thumb here - people who "figure out" things that are completely, blatantly, demonstrably false are often not geniuses.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Point is Chabot has sucked the past couple of seasons, doesn’t take a genius to figure that out.

Another anchor contracts for a guy who doesn’t care on the ice and is soft.
So in response to another poster claiming he just needed a reliable partner, the point of you showing his most common partners , two of which are less than ideal and the other who his metrics are actually pretty good with was to demonstrate he has sucked?

I guess the point Im making is you aren't doing a very convincing job of supporting your point.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
So in response to another poster claiming he just needed a reliable partner, the point of you showing his most common partners , two of which are less than ideal and the other who his metrics are actually pretty good with was to demonstrate he has sucked?

I guess the point Im making is you aren't doing a very convincing job of supporting your point.
The team paid him $8M and paid a 1st + 2nd + 2nd to get a legitimate top 4 dman. Sounds like you’re making excuses after excuses for his crap play and that Chabot needs to figure it out and make it work.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
The team paid him $8M and paid a 1st + 2nd + 2nd to get a legitimate top 4 dman. Sounds like you’re making excuses after excuses for his crap play and that Chabot needs to figure it out and make it work.
Exactly he needs to figure it out and make it work

He's a loser

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Would it help if they mentioned Chychrun again, and said that Chabot is crap? Surely those two arguments will win you over. Or maybe it's just over your head...?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What does paying a 1st 2nd and 3rd for a guy that plays the wrong side of the ice and is the exact opposite from a stylistic perspective to the teams needs or what would be an appropriate partner for an offensive minded Dman, have to do with whether Chabot sucked or not, or whether he needs a reliable partner?

Sounds like you're having issues supporting your position.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I like Chabot’s game a lot more since Martin showed up. I’d be fine to move him but I’d rid myself of Chychrun first.
I thought Chychrun started off ok, he wasn't fantastic defensively, but at least he was contributing, but after about a dozen games, he's been outright awful

Just looked it up, first 13 games, 12 pts and +4.
Last 54 games, 20 pts, -25

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I thought Chychrun started off ok, he wasn't fantastic defensively, but at least he was contributing, but after about a dozen games, he's been outright awful

He’s not a good fit.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

I was pretty negative towards Chychrun even before the season began…. But even with low expectations I’ve been astounded at how bad he’s been.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

I don't know if it's possible to find a worse fitting dman for our team than Chychrun. I genuinely don't care what we get for him at this point, I'm convinced trading him will be an addition by subtraction. He hasn't just been disappointing for us, he has been actually terrible.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This year and last year he played with these dmen the most:

1 - Chychurn
2 - Zub
3 - JBD

Everything doesn’t have to do with his d partner. He’s seriously been bad and lazy. There were times when people would compare Chabot to Karlsson lol.

You're making my point honestly. Chychrun is not the best partner for Chabot that's the first thing but Chabot has been playing well since Martin took over, much better than Chychrun actually. Chychrun is an offensive defensemen though so he's not the best fit and he's playing his opposite side so it often puts that pair in compromising situations - not optimal for the defense aspect.

Zub has been the best defensemen that Chabot has played with hands down and they have been for the most part a pretty good pairing together.

JBD is young and makes mistakes. He's come into his own only in the last 15-20 games. Before that he didn't look like a NHLer which is why he was barely in the lineup.

Get another Zub type for Chabot so he can play with him all the time and that will make the team much better. Also consider that even if Zub was his most common partner in previous years he was not playing with him all the time either which impacted his performance pretty significantly if you compare the numbers.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Chychrun hasn't looked great. He's playing a lot on his offside and I think he'd be more comfortable on the left.

Chabot hasn't been great either. Guys want a partner to stabilize Chabot. How about an RHD to stabilize Chychrun? Then what do you have?

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Chychrun hasn't looked great. He's playing a lot on his offside and I think he'd be more comfortable on the left.

Chabot hasn't been great either. Guys want a partner to stabilize Chabot. How about an RHD to stabilize Chychrun? Then what do you have?

The problem with that approach is Chychrun needs a new contract. So do you get him a RD and then wait to see how he performs before locking him up? Or do you sign him and hope for the best? Keeping in mind that if you’re trading Chabot, you’re very likely either retaining or taking back bad money in the form of a forward. So if Chychrun gets a new deal and he still isn’t good, and you have money on the books from the Chabot trade, now we’re in a worse position than simply paying Chabot 8 million.

If you wait and he performs well, great - but there’s also risk in not being able to agree to a deal and you lose Chychrun too.

Chychrun’s value has a huge risk of getting worse if he signs a big contract he doesn’t live up to. I don’t see Chabot’s value getting worse really - he is what he is, but with less term and more likelihood for retention on our part, if anything he might be more valuable in two years than he is now. Doubly so if he plays well with a new partner.

I also just personally think the things Chabot does well, he does very well. So if both players have their warts defensively, give me the guy whose strengths are greater.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and DrEasy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

……yup

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The problem with that approach is Chychrun needs a new contract. So do you get him a RD and then wait to see how he performs before locking him up? Or do you sign him and hope for the best? Keeping in mind that if you’re trading Chabot, you’re very likely either retaining or taking back bad money in the form of a forward. So if Chychrun gets a new deal and he still isn’t good, and you have money on the books from the Chabot trade, now we’re in a worse position than simply paying Chabot 8 million.

If you wait and he performs well, great - but there’s also risk in not being able to agree to a deal and you lose Chychrun too.

Chychrun’s value has a huge risk of getting worse if he signs a big contract he doesn’t live up to. I don’t see Chabot’s value getting worse really - he is what he is, but with less term and more likelihood for retention on our part, if anything he might be more valuable in two years than he is now. Doubly so if he plays well with a new partner.

I also just personally think the things Chabot does well, he does very well. So if both players have their warts defensively, give me the guy whose strengths are greater.
well, i agree, what Chabot does well he does very well. 100%. I agree. He transitions well and he reads well when he has the puck. What he doesn't do well is compete. And he is a leader. For me personally you cannot have that in your leadership group because the coaching staff and the leadership group lose the authority to address lack of compete elsewhere on the roster. And that's the issue to me.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
well, i agree, what Chabot does well he does very well. 100%. I agree. He transitions well and he reads well when he has the puck. What he doesn't do well is compete. And he is a leader. For me personally you cannot have that in your leadership group because the coaching staff and the leadership group lose the authority to address lack of compete elsewhere on the roster. And that's the issue to me.

I think this is fair, I’d like to see his compete level higher on a consistent basis. But I’m also willing to see what the new coaching staff can do with him, it is the better choice than acquiring another variation of bad money and/or keeping Chychrun imo. There are so many things that can lead to lower compete than you’d like beyond laziness, so maybe the new coach can get to the bottom of it, for the whole team as a whole too.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So there is some fans who claim that Chabot has sucked the past couple of seasons...

In terms of production, his PPG has been very consistently between 0.60 and 0.64 every season the past 4 years. He's Top-20 this season, was Top-30 last year and also Top-20 the 2 seasons prior.

2/3 (66%) of his points are at Even Strength which seems pretty reasonable. In comparison, 55% of Quinn Hughes pts have been at ES these last 4 seasons...

So what is the problem? Defensively? Among 237 D-men with at least 1000 ES minutes overall in the last 3 seasons :

CA/60 : 58.67 (144th)
SA/60 : 30.67 (136th)
xGA/60 : 2.92 (187th)

It doesn't look disastrous for a play-driving D-man playing a LOT of minutes on a rebuilding team that has struggled defensively for years (Chabot on the ice or not)

@Micklebot, can you dig some with Chabot vs without Chabot stats?

Oh oh a part of the fanbase won't be happy with that...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad