This team needs a shakeup. What do you do?

What do you to this team after losing to the Kings when leading by 3 goals in the third period?

• Take the captaincy away from Boone Jenner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heavy Metal Jackets

Jan 9, 2021
Land of Cheese
Y'all are just f***ing relentless and I can't take it anymore.
Mostly this. Hard to come on here and read anything positive.

Jiricek has improved a lot the last week or so.
Fantilli!!!
The Russians

I'm enjoying watching them since so many of these kids can be game changers and are figuring it out. Some of the chemistry that was lacking is becoming cohesive with two of the lines. Being super young overall, they're not gonna learn how to win without these heartbreaking losses.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
All I have to say is that I haven't been around lately because I've found that if I stick around here it makes it impossible for me to enjoy the games, and it's already difficult enough what with having to fight every single g-ddamn streaming provider in the world. Nobody seems to have anything to say about what goes well, all the emphasis is on the negative, and every single thread is a Fire Everybody thread. My favorite guys keep either getting dumped on or traded away or becoming hated villains that nobody can ever say anything good about around here, and nobody's been allowed to step up to replace them.

It's depressing as f*** and it's making me seriously re-evaluate whether or not I still want to do this 'hockey fan' thing. Y'all are just f***ing relentless and I can't take it anymore.
Feel largely the same way. I've steered clear of posting in GDT's because its mostly the same stuff (on top of other things that happened in a prior GDT). Even wins are dissected with what went wrong. Every loss is followed by a new fire/trade everyone post/thread. I get that everyone is impatient with the "rebuild" and Jarmo and company have completely lost the trust of the fanbase, and I think that's all fair. But I just don't find it entertaining to engage with.

I get things aren't great here right now. Losing sucks, continued losing is even worse. Blowing leads is incredibly frustrating especially at a chronic level. But when you take a step back and look at things in a broader outlook, things aren't as bad as they seem. Fantilli, Werenski, Jenner, Gaudreau, Voronkov, Marchenko, and Jiricek is a hell of a core to build around. IMO at least.

I don't know when it'll happen but theres a good hockey team coming here in the not too distant future.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Feel largely the same way. I've steered clear of posting in GDT's because its mostly the same stuff (on top of other things that happened in a prior GDT). Even wins are dissected with what went wrong. Every loss is followed by a new fire/trade everyone post/thread. I get that everyone is impatient with the "rebuild" and Jarmo and company have completely lost the trust of the fanbase, and I think that's all fair. But I just don't find it entertaining to engage with.

I get things aren't great here right now. Losing sucks, continued losing is even worse. Blowing leads is incredibly frustrating especially at a chronic level. But when you take a step back and look at things in a broader outlook, things aren't as bad as they seem. Fantilli, Werenski, Jenner, Gaudreau, Voronkov, Marchenko, and Jiricek is a hell of a core to build around. IMO at least.

I don't know when it'll happen but theres a good hockey team coming here in the not too distant future.

I expanded it beyond the GDT thread. Watching games I suspected these forums would be a mess and basically took a two month break from reading this one. The Russian line forced me to start commenting again though.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
@Viqsi @CBJWerenski8 I just can't understand what your frustrations are with the sincere objective postings on this board :sarcasm:

I've never posted much here anyway compared to others but this year it's even less. I remember posting not long after this season started when things didn't get off to the start that everyone was hoping for and about the toxicity that was starting to creep in on the board. But nobody seemed to care except to double down and complain about things even more.

Some of the "myths" being posted earlier on this board that are still dominating conversations in some threads and that some on here will never change their personal opinions on no matter what:

Vincent doesn't know what he's doing or how to coach
Elvis sucks
Werenski is the reason the PP sucks
Laine offers no value to the team and has no value in a trade
Gaudreau doesn't care about winning and his production is only because of his former teammates

These are topics that we could have reasonable debates around. But there is no longer reasonable debate on this board as it seems debates are more based on strong personal grievances and opinions rather than on reality itself. It's more or less one opinionated poster tryng to one up the other opinionated poster so they look "smarter" than the other or that they themselves somehow know the magic solution on how to make this team a winner or they may post some overly extreme opinion to get others reactions even if it's ridiculous on its own merit.

There have been plenty of things that haven't changed on the ice but some of the good things that have improved and are visible on the ice aren't being discussed because dumping negatively on a losing team or on certain players is easy and it gives other posters additional fuel to continue adding to the negative drama (ie: besides a one off comment or two in the GDT where has the discussion been of the PK and how great it's been or why it isn't transferring to 5v5 situations? PK is 5th in the league, I mean why discuss positive things?.......after all they are still losing!!!).

Losing sucks. It's unacceptable and posters are tired of it, myself included. I still come here to read about the team even if I don't engage much anymore or knowing that I will have to skim through the excessive "junk posts" to engage the topics that are meaningful to me. The negativity lately in most of the threads here is beyond obnoxious.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
After reading Porty's article today, I've landed on this team needs sold to new ownership. The current structure does not work and none of the answers provided seem to convey they understand it doesn't work.

I would clean house of everyone associated with this loser franchise - at least, non-player personnel. Then I'd hire a deep cleaning service to scrub the whole damn arena just to prove a point.

Absentee ownership at the top, followed by a bean counter who's currently blaming the losing on the guys in the locker room - guys put together by a couple of bumbling idiots in the front office.

This entire franchise is rotten to the core. The best way out is to clean house entirely.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
After reading Porty's article today, I've landed on this team needs sold to new ownership. The current structure does not work and none of the answers provided seem to convey they understand it doesn't work.

I would clean house of everyone associated with this loser franchise - at least, non-player personnel. Then I'd hire a deep cleaning service to scrub the whole damn arena just to prove a point.

Absentee ownership at the top, followed by a bean counter who's currently blaming the losing on the guys in the locker room - guys put together by a couple of bumbling idiots in the front office.

This entire franchise is rotten to the core. The best way out is to clean house entirely.
I've been calling for new ownership for quite some time. Nothing in the article has persuaded me away from that. However.......

What I got from the article is that the ownership is so split among well-heeled Columbus-based individuals and companies (McConnell/Nationwide/etc.) is that there is little probability that it's going to be sold. I didn't know that McC only owned 30%-I had thought that he had a much higher stake.

The good news is that the team has as close to zero probability of moving as is possible for a low revenue team. The other good news is that JD and JK are pretty much gone at season's end if I read Priest's tone right. The ownership group knows that the natives are getting restless and that something needs to be done. The bad news is that it's hard to be optimistic about the hiring acumen of ownership.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

"There are a lot of posts in this thread complaining about the excessive negativity. I know what to do - double down on it even more!"

Reactions: CBJx614

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
"There are a lot of posts in this thread complaining about the excessive negativity. I know what to do - double down on it even more!"
You can ignore it.

A lot of things to be upset about, and other things to be excited about. Go read the WJC threads they are positive and more fun I’d say.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If you want me to double down on the negativity I can point out the last Russian who wanted to stay in Columbus was Tyutin. (And the team bought out his contract.)

But I’ll try to be positive and get excited about the Russians. One of them has not been publicly rumored to want out of Columbus this season. So there is that. Yay team!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There is a ton of optimism around Anaheim this year.

They have virtually the same record as the Blue Jackets. Both teams are built around incredible young talent (Zegras, Mintyukov, Carlsson, McTavish vs Fantilli, KJ, Jiricek, pick a Russian).

Some differences - they have a new GM that has yet to soil his record, our GM is thoroughly soiled. Our FO laid out high expectations for this year, theirs did not.

But in the end does the verbiage really change the outlook?

I really like who the Ducks have drafted and I really like what Verbeek has done so far, and I don't trust Jarmo, so I'd modestly tilt towards the Ducks. But the outlook for the two teams is really close. If they can be optimistic, so can we.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
There is a ton of optimism around Anaheim this year.

They have virtually the same record as the Blue Jackets. Both teams are built around incredible young talent (Zegras, Mintyukov, Carlsson, McTavish vs Fantilli, KJ, Jiricek, pick a Russian).

Some differences - they have a new GM that has yet to soil his record, our GM is thoroughly soiled. Our FO laid out high expectations for this year, theirs did not.

But in the end does the verbiage really change the outlook?

I really like who the Ducks have drafted and I really like what Verbeek has done so far, and I don't trust Jarmo, so I'd modestly tilt towards the Ducks. But the outlook for the two teams is really close. If they can be optimistic, so can we.
The contracts and team structure change the outlook, atleast short term. Anaheim was supposed to be bad, we all knew that. Columbus was supposed to show some growth, maybe even to a bubble team. Almost all of us thought this was a better team but 95% of folks thought goaltending would kill any chance of imrpovement but so far goaltending is not our issue.

But for me whats discouraging is how we find ways in 3rd periods to completely undo the often good work this team does in the 1st 40 of games. This team should not be as bad as it is.

Anaheim has a couple rookie defensemen every night and their highest paid guy would be our 4th highest so I think its fair for us to be more disappointment even though the results are similar

Reactions: Napoli

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
I know I've said a crazy thing or two lately out of anger, but I do still stand by saying them (though wishing Jarmo would "go to hell" is maaaaybe stronger than I think is fair). Going into the season I had really hoped that the Babcock fiasco would have the players coming together and surprising people, and the ensuing mess was a bitter pill of disappointment. But the past week has been like crossing some sort of despair event horizon where there's some clarity. The young players showing their stuff and finally being given some leeway is helping that. This team has a long way to go, and in my opinion, a changing of the guard in the FO and a fresh outlook will do wonders for this franchise.

KCbus

Someday, we’ll have an NHL team.
Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
All I have to say is that I haven't been around lately because I've found that if I stick around here it makes it impossible for me to enjoy the games, and it's already difficult enough what with having to fight every single g-ddamn streaming provider in the world. Nobody seems to have anything to say about what goes well, all the emphasis is on the negative, and every single thread is a Fire Everybody thread. My favorite guys keep either getting dumped on or traded away or becoming hated villains that nobody can ever say anything good about around here, and nobody's been allowed to step up to replace them.

It's depressing as f*** and it's making me seriously re-evaluate whether or not I still want to do this 'hockey fan' thing. Y'all are just f***ing relentless and I can't take it anymore.
Fire @Viqsi .

I see where you're coming from. I'm Mr. Glass Three-Quarters Full for the most part. But I'm with the angry majority here. We've spent way, way, WAY too much time trying to pick tiny nuggets of success out of the neverending piles of disaster. At a certain point, people get tired of looking through their cat's litter box for the jelly bean they dropped; they just consider it wasted.

Nobody wants to enjoy the little things because the little things never develop into the big things that we actually need to have happen. This team has systematically beaten all hope and all expectations out of its fanbase. And by the way, we shouldn't have to explain or apologize for the frustration. We're not a team that routinely racks up 110 points a season, and we're complaining because it isn't 115. We're unruly because this team sucks.

Reactions: aRussian

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Nobody wants to enjoy the little things because the little things never develop into the big things that we actually need to have happen.
Very plausible psychological explanation for most of the inflated negativity we see around here. It's basically a defense mechanism.

This post is mostly off-topic but since people keep mentioning and complaining about these issues, I would like to say a couple of things about the negativity and alleged toxicity on this board.

I've learned recently that some of my posts have been viewed as negative and toxic. That's fine. I go re-read some of my garbage and try to think critically what I could have said better there or if I should not have commented anything at all. Some things I may regret saying, some things I certainly don't. It's obvious I have made mistakes and I have no problem admitting that.

But then there are posts that look fine to me but the other poster doesn't interpret it similarly, and soon one poster is calling out the other poster(s) for being negative and toxic. Those situations are confusing to me for several reasons: 1) I don't know what said thing was negative and toxic, 2) is toxicity a problem that should be eliminated from the site and 3) is calling out others for being negative and toxic -- without explaining why it was negative and toxic -- a good way to deal with the problem?

I think I have a good general idea of what negativity means, but the definition of toxicity might be a bit trickier. Which of these listed HFCBJ board phenomenons could be seen as toxic?

- trolling
- posting about the team that's real and new information but also happens to be negative in essence
- posting about the team that's real but which isn't new discovery and also happens to be negative in essence
- constantly posting about the team that could or needs to be better with good reasoning
- constantly posting about the team that could or needs to be better with poor reasoning
- sarcastic or friendly jab at someone or something
- constantly committing to logical fallacies (creating straw men, moving goalposts, intentionally dodging other's core questions/criticism, misrepresenting others' opinions etc)

If we scroll through last night's GDT, how many of all 200 or so posts were negative and toxic? What would be an acceptable % of negativity in all threads?

I enjoy reading and posting on this board, but I won't lie in saying that sometimes certain type of posts and debates depress me a little, usually when people refuse to acknowledge their bias and flaws in arguments. Making the effort to find stronger objective support for your argument and being open to self-criticism is more important to me than avoiding negativity / being artificially positive. Maybe it could even solve part of the "toxicity" problem.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Here is one of the most positive facts about this season:

Elvis has gone from unacceptably bad to almost tolerably mediocre. For goalies who have started ten or more games he is 19th in save percentage, just behind Mrazek in Chicago and Binnington in St. Louis.

Some could see this is a positive. He was a buy out candidate. Now he is an ok goalie for a non playoff team.

Others will see it as a negative. He is nowhere near the type of goalie who can steal games and take a team on a deep playoff run, and we don’t know that we have a future NHL starter quality goalie in the pipeline.

How are we supposed to react to this improved Elvis? Oh, and by the way, he is missing games again.

Is not being happy with mediocre Elvis considered toxic?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Here is one of the most positive facts about this season:

Elvis has gone from unacceptably bad to almost tolerably mediocre. For goalies who have started ten or more games he is 19th in save percentage, just behind Mrazek in Chicago and Binnington in St. Louis.

Some could see this is a positive. He was a buy out candidate. Now he is an ok goalie for a non playoff team.

Others will see it as a negative. He is nowhere near the type of goalie who can steal games and take a team on a deep playoff run, and we don’t know that we have a future NHL starter quality goalie in the pipeline.

How are we supposed to react to this improved Elvis? Oh, and by the way, he is missing games again.

Is not being happy with mediocre Elvis considered toxic?
Now if you look below him in SV% youll see Shesterkin and Saros.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
And Oettinger. But Elvis at his best in years is still 19th and currently on IR.
For illness, dont think missing 3 games is the end of the world.
We kind of are in a goalie era where not many are actual high end work horses anymore and maybe thats a lesson to Jarmo or the league. Pretty much what you need from goalies now is to not lose games as much as win them. Even last years hero and guy leading most goalie stats this year was a waiver claim less than a year ago. There is also the matter of the play in front of your goalie. Cant be giving up 15+ shots in the 3rd regularly and expect good results. Context matters as much as the numbers

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Ah, so we're limiting posts now like it's July 2023 Elon Musk's Twitter?

I didn't realize. Please send me the updated T&C of the site.
No one is "limiting" anything. If they were, do you think Vix's rant would have happened?

It's a poster expressing an opinion about the overall tone and tenor of the conversations being had on this forum. (Is this where I ask if that's allowed any more?) That opinion seems to have been triggering for some other posters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad