This team needs a shakeup. What do you do?

What do you to this team after losing to the Kings when leading by 3 goals in the third period?

• Take the captaincy away from Boone Jenner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
They better be ready to pay about 1.4 Billion at minimum then to outright buy the team (probably about 700mil at the absolute minimum though its gonna cost much much more than that as the team is worth roughly $620 now), pay back the arena loans (about $130mil) and then settle with the service agreement to the state (about $100mil) for breaking lease early (2041?) on top of waiting 6 months to compete against Nationwide who will probably drive their own investor group and abuse the Art Model law to keep a permanent tenant at Nationwide Arena because the shows/music acts alone don't drive enough revenue during the peak times of Dec-March (which is why our home schedule is always so front loaded). That's only the expenses to clear out of Ohio you still need to set up service agreements to your new location and pay the league a relocation fee ($500 million)
Thanks for the math. Essentially, someone would have to pay (under current lease arrangements) twice what the team is worth.

No reason that part of any sales agreement couldn't be some absurdly high relocation fee ($2 billion or more) to be paid to whomever (Nationwide Arena, State of Ohio, McConnell) which would effectively amount to a permanent stay in Columbus for the CBJ.

Also, the league has shown an incredible resistance to relocation (see Arizona). There is no compelling reason that the CBJ should be moved so I doubt anyone who would buy them could demonstrate a legitimate reason for relocation.

Reactions: CBJx614

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yet, when it comes to the EXTREMELY UNIQUE situation of a head coach essentially giving up on his current team/organization where he coached for an extended period of time and essentially “rejuvenated” his coaching career…only to then go on to coach an inter-divisional rival in a year….oh NOTHING to see here….
This is a great point. Add in the fact that Torts was already 62 years old when he decided he wanted out-an age where getting another HC job in the NHL isn't the easiest of things to get and it's obvious that he wanted to continue coaching given he's back in the game as one.

hire me as GM, I have ideas
Even they're bad ideas, you're hired!

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Fixed it for you. It’s fascinating that people still think Larsen was a (or THE) problem. He was a huge part of the organization’s coaching staff’s that had the most success in both the AHL and NHL.

Vincent’s lineup decisions, and apparent tactics and strategies are NOT any better than that of Larsen or Torts. His defensive zone strategy is quite literally WORSE and more “passive” than anything Torts or even Hitchcock employed, and yet, their “defensive mindset/focus” is quite literally 1 of the main or only things many people held against those guys and their apparent coaching “style”.

Fascinating that people have made such a big deal about all the players that have “wanted out” in the recent past, often ignoring many personal/individual factors and the fact that players selecting to move from team to team is quite a common occurrence.

Yet, when it comes to the EXTREMELY UNIQUE situation of a head coach essentially giving up on his current team/organization where he coached for an extended period of time and essentially “rejuvenated” his coaching career…only to then go on to coach an inter-divisional rival in a year….oh NOTHING to see here….

The system may be more passive but it has also made that zone more predictable which over the last batch of games has made play more controllable and led to some wins and leads.

They've given up 3.37 goals/ game so far (91 in 27 games). That's 276 over the year if that rate holds for 82 games. Last season that was 4.01 and 329. It could be debated the difference is our D being better ( couldn't tell from how people post on these forums some days). But also our goaltending had a .887 save percent last season. That's .900 currently and that's been trending up so far this year. I don't think it's unreasonable to say the system has helped though isn't the sole factor.

They definitely need a new strategy for defending a lead though.

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
As for what the ideas are:

- Andrew Peeke... has sucked this year. If we can offload him to another bad team, then that would be great. Someone on CapFriendly proposed a deal where we trade Peeke and a 7th rounder to San Jose for Radim Simek and a 5th round pick. I have been very high on Simek for a long while, he's a physical defensive stalwart that eats minutes like candy (when he's healthy). A defensive 3rd pair/PK1 of Simek-Gudbranson is an idea I really like.

- Jake Bean is gone for picks. At one point, I could have seen us getting for Jake what LA got for Sean Durzi (a 2nd round pick), but those days are long gone. At this point, I think we could fetch a 4th or 5th for him.

- We have all been screaming about taking Zach off of PP1 since the season started. I'll be the one to have the balls to say something about it to Mark Recchi/Pazzi/whoever runs the special teams. Hand the reins to PP1 to Boqvist (when he's not made of glass) and PP2 can go to Jiricek or Provi, whoever looks better.

Just for the short term.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
hire me as GM, I have ideas
1701965161437.png

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I don't believe there is any reasonable chance of competing for a playoff spot this season. At risk of repeating myself for perhaps the 10th time or more over the years, I think this team is lacking vision. Vision that has to come from the top of the organization. Who are the Blue Jackets? How do the Blue Jackets play hockey? Once that is clear to everyone in the organization, what kind of players fit in that vision?

Maybe John McConnell has communicated that internally, maybe not. The on ice product doesn't look like it has been built to any vision that I can see. I've followed the CBJ since their very first game. The only time I've truly seen a vision was when Hitchcock and Tortorella were the coaches and it looked to me that those two were the ones who had that vision. It didn't come from above them. I wonder if Torts left because the team wasn't being built to his vision for them?

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I've been Team Jarmo for the longest time but it's high time he gets the pink slip. The Babcock fiasco was completely unacceptable; this is a team that has a lot of vets with diverging playstyles on top of youngsters competing for ice time, they really needed to be well prepared and drilled for the season and the coaching situation made that impossible. We can complain about Vincent or Boone or what have you but I'm totally in line with the people saying that it starts from the top.

I also disagree with the people saying firing Jarmo soon wouldn't do anything because the season is already lost. To the contrary, it would give the new GM (or team if JD & co. also gets shitcanned) a long look at the current roster. allowing them to evaluate fit and make informed decisions either at the TDL or the off-season. I don't think keeping Vincent around would be a problem, though.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
The Babcock stuff was a major blunder from HO for sure. Not being in the playoffs after first quarter wasn't in my book of expectations so the product on ice kinda reflects what I expected (with somewhat better goaltending I expected, and a worse PP).

The team is very deep, but the pointy end has not been sharpened to the kind of edge it can have. That's what needs changing and I'm afraid it's just up to the coaching now to mold that material into a better team.

Depth scoring isn't an issue, now the issue is getting more out of the supposed difference makers, get them playing closer to their level. PK is working great, defense has some success in limiting chances, we're improved on keeping the shots to more distance than last season and it shows in better goaltending numbers too. But they need to get the lines to a point where players are better able to play to their strengths and help the team. It's a lot of small adjustments and testing to find it but that's what I feel they are trying to do now. Sometimes it's 1 step forward and 2 steps back but there's no magic solution to it. Trial and error until you find it.

They should not ignore past results though. We KNOW what works on PP and what doesn't. FIX IT.

Last edited:

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Absolutely speaks to the poor judgement of this entire front office. The evaluation of coaching and playing talent is ridiculously terrible.
I will miss Ville Siren's amateur scouting once the Jarmo regime is gone, though. That is one thing I think this FO really excels at.

Reactions: LJ7

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Wouldn't one of the hiring requirements for a new GM be showing how they are going to bring in a strong scouting staff?
Point to where in my comment I said anything about that. I am simply expressing that I will miss Ville Siren. I haven't been disappointed in any picks the team has made with him in charge of scouting, and I think that is a strength of the current FO. You don't have any idea who the next GM or scouting staff might be. We could hire Chiarelli.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Hiring a guy who's needing to feel his way around the job to coach a team where most are feeling their way around the pro game is a bad recipe. Add in underperforming professionals(?) and its toxic.

They took a flyer on Babcock because he was the type of guy needed. But... your plan B was a guy with ZERO to little pro experience? Rushed, panicky hire.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I've been Team Jarmo for the longest time but it's high time he gets the pink slip. The Babcock fiasco was completely unacceptable; this is a team that has a lot of vets with diverging playstyles on top of youngsters competing for ice time, they really needed to be well prepared and drilled for the season and the coaching situation made that impossible. We can complain about Vincent or Boone or what have you but I'm totally in line with the people saying that it starts from the top.

I also disagree with the people saying firing Jarmo soon wouldn't do anything because the season is already lost. To the contrary, it would give the new GM (or team if JD & co. also gets shitcanned) a long look at the current roster. allowing them to evaluate fit and make informed decisions either at the TDL or the off-season. I don't think keeping Vincent around would be a problem, though.
And if you think he is done after the year, you don't want him f**king with the roster that might be here next year.

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Having next season be an "evaluation year" for the new GM would be a disastrous waste of time for a team that has the talent to be on the upswing.

We need our new GM in place this season.

I will miss Ville Siren's amateur scouting once the Jarmo regime is gone, though. That is one thing I think this FO really excels at.

It's hard to say who is responsible for what decisions. Our Russian drafting has been amazing value, so I suppose our Russian scout should be kept (Boris something?).

But whoever decided that Will Smith was a better pick than Leo Carlsson should be banned from any future scouting. If Siren had his hand in that then I don't want him here.

Reactions: LJ7

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
All I have to say is that I haven't been around lately because I've found that if I stick around here it makes it impossible for me to enjoy the games, and it's already difficult enough what with having to fight every single g-ddamn streaming provider in the world. Nobody seems to have anything to say about what goes well, all the emphasis is on the negative, and every single thread is a Fire Everybody thread. My favorite guys keep either getting dumped on or traded away or becoming hated villains that nobody can ever say anything good about around here, and nobody's been allowed to step up to replace them.

It's depressing as f*** and it's making me seriously re-evaluate whether or not I still want to do this 'hockey fan' thing. Y'all are just f***ing relentless and I can't take it anymore.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
All I have to say is that I haven't been around lately because I've found that if I stick around here it makes it impossible for me to enjoy the games, and it's already difficult enough what with having to fight every single g-ddamn streaming provider in the world. Nobody seems to have anything to say about what goes well, all the emphasis is on the negative, and every single thread is a Fire Everybody thread. My favorite guys keep either getting dumped on or traded away or becoming hated villains that nobody can ever say anything good about around here, and nobody's been allowed to step up to replace them.

It's depressing as f*** and it's making me seriously re-evaluate whether or not I still want to do this 'hockey fan' thing. Y'all are just f***ing relentless and I can't take it anymore.
Fans are sick of losing, its not surprising. Other forums of good teams after loses or bad play are usually worse. But yeah Im sure many find these last couple years depressing, I cant even watch every game anymore as its not worth ruining my mood for. I dont see how its unfair to want change.

It gets old for all of us when the same issues creep in game after game and now for a 2nd year in a row. We are all excited for the kids, just wish they had a better veteran prescence to insulate them but they have been the bright spot on this season along with Boone.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Relax Viqsi, don't take any that is written on this board seriously (other then Majormajor). There is talent all over the ice and more still coming up from the Monsters and Canadian Juniors. It takes time for all of this to jell, particularly when you have a first time head coach who was given a full three days to put his plan together for this season. This is a year that needs calm stability, not wild ass firings and demotions. I think it is a good idea for everyone to calm down and wait to see what we have a at the end of this year.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Having next season be an "evaluation year" for the new GM would be a disastrous waste of time for a team that has the talent to be on the upswing.

We need our new GM in place this season.

It's hard to say who is responsible for what decisions. Our Russian drafting has been amazing value, so I suppose our Russian scout should be kept (Boris something?).

But whoever decided that Will Smith was a better pick than Leo Carlsson should be banned from any future scouting. If Siren had his hand in that then I don't want him here.
The Jackets were so lucky Fantilli fell to 3rd as I believe they would have picked Smith over Carlsson which would have been terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad