GDT: This is the GDT

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I don't think this is on Francis. I think the franchise has been long operating in a hold pattern to try and keep the organization's valuation steady through the sale process, which means rocking the boat as little as possible so Karmanos could make the sale. There's no other explanation for the continual acceptance of this kind of piss poor play on the ice. What's most frustrating is that all the advanced stats say this should be a good team, but they're in the basement. How can the organization find it acceptable to have a team that plays well and still finds ways to lose.

Hopefully this deal with Dundon closes sooner rather than later. I want an engaged owner running the show. I want someone who holds this team accountable for its record. I want the kind of acceptance of mediocrity we've developed to be eradicated.

I tend to agree with you....new owners in most sports also like to bring in "their guy" as do coaches so who knows...but no one would take a job knowing a sale is inc and things could change rather quickly.

#Holdingpattern

Reactions: Breakdowns

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
And if he's not playing better than our AHL d-man, then he needs to sit the **** down until he is.

There's no accountability for this bull**** at any level.

Bill Peters needs to do what he said he would:

As with our previous head coach, accountability is already a buzzword. According to Peters, “ice time is the hammer”. If players show him what he needs to see, notably their play without the puck, he will keep sending those guys over the boards. If they don’t, then he’ll “swing the hammer”, aka his “ultimate weapon”.

Section 328

It's Hammer Time, Bill. It is Hammer Time...and the captains can't be exempt.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Oh, I'm not saying that Justin Faulk isn't ultimately way better than Klas Dahlbeck.

I'm saying that last night, he wasn't.

And if he's not playing better than our AHL d-man, then he needs to sit the **** down until he is.

There's no accountability for this bull**** at any level.

It wasn’t even playing poorly. It was playing both lazy and stupid. And what tops the cake is that they went straight back to him to start OT.

I shudder to think what he’s going to look like against Vegas.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
With regard to payroll/budget - yes the Canes have a very low payroll this year...but it's already going up with Slavin and Pesce extensions.

They already have $50M committed to 13 players next season...payroll is going up in the right way...draft, develop, and retain.

It's been a tough several years for HCane-Nation, but RF does have this franchise pointed in the right direction (where is process vs results guy when you need him).

The team is currently outside of PO picture and the result last night was disgusting...I get it...but let's keep our composure.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Exactly ****ing this right here.

The success that Vegas is having may not be sustainable in the long term, but it shows what happens when a team has belief. That team said "**** you, we're better than you think, and we're gonna come out every night and prove it."

This bunch of schmoes play like they're scared to lose, but resigned to losing anyway. Well, **** them. Start riding players hard, start bringing up players from Charlotte who want it, and start sitting players who don't. There is no ****ing way you can tell me right now that Justin Faulk, our ****ing "captain", is a better option than Klas Dahlbeck. Sit his sorry ass down until he remembers that a captain is supposed to go out and leave it all on the ice.

And if our coaching staff isn't ready to demand passion from this bunch of losers, then shoot those mother****ers out of a goddamned cannon and start finding some coaches who will. I'm ready to see Steve Smith be the head coach of this team right now, today.

YOU USELESS MOTHER****ERS. I'M TIRED OF YOU STEALING MY MONEY. I WOULD SERIOUSLY STEP OUT ON TO THE ICE MYSELF AND SLASH YOU ALL TO BITS IF I HAD HALF A ****ING CHANCE.

That's what I'm talking about!

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Move Lindy, Aho, or TT to the middle and call one up. I don't see the point in not trying something, anything, different right now.

How is making both positions worse defensively going to prevent them from pissing away leads with regularity? They need to change the team approach to playing with the lead that currently appears to be when you get the puck, shit your pants, and give it to the other team 10 feet further down the ice.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
How is making both positions worse defensively going to prevent them from pissing away leads with regularity? They need to change the team approach to playing with the lead that currently appears to be when you get the puck, **** your pants, and give it to the other team 10 feet further down the ice.

Well i don't think it's making them worse defensively, in the center at least.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Didn't Mike Keenan just get fired in Russia? I know he'd have a shelf life, but it might be worth a try. I want someone who shows some passion, who can rally the players into caring instead of this shit monotone "oh yeah things just didn't go as we hoped" rinse repeat the same mistakes over and over.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Count me among those that went to bed after the second period. Checked my phone when I woke up in the middle of the night, and I wasn't too surprised.

As much as I'd love to see roster changes or perhaps even a coaching change, I really don't see anything major happening prior to the new owner being put in place. So at that point, I guess call ups or putting Aho at center, or useless scratches or other line changes are the best we can hope for.

Other than that, I don't know what to say anymore.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The way this team plays with a lead is quite honestly embarrassing. And it’s not new. It’s very obviously a strategy of hang on for dear life and try not to lose. It takes everything they actually do well, throws it out the window, and asks them to defend, defend, defend for generally the full 20 minutes of the 3rd period.

The possession numbers bear that out. The disparity in CF% behind, tied, close, overall, vs. ahead is ridiculous. They are top 2 in every situation but all the way down at 11 when ahead.

The ****ty thing about it is that’s how the 3rd period played out statistically and visually, but both goals weren’t 5 on 5 and the plays leading up to them were completely innocuous.

Do you have a link to these stats, btw?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Does he? Really? How would we know? By what objective metric would we conclude that this team is "pointed in the right direction"?

Because the only objective metric I know of that *actually matters* is wins.
To be fair, it took us longer this year to reach the basement than most years. In recent past, we jumped right to it, and got comfy before the end of the year push. This year, we at least tried to flap our wings.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Does he? Really? How would we know? By what objective metric would we conclude that this team is "pointed in the right direction"?

Because the only objective metric I know of that *actually matters* is wins.

RF became GM the summer of 2014...here are the team numbers since:

SeasonPts%Team Cap HitAverage Age
2014/15.43364.526.1
2015/16.52463.426.0
2016/17.53059.425.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Every year they have gotten better, cheaper, and younger. Granted, right now 17/18 is not looking to continue the trend, but I am willing to at least wait out the year before I would advocate for firing someone.

Additionally you can look at objective performance of the AHL affiliate. 2014/15 Checkers were a 69 point team...this year's team is on pace of 96 points.

Last...it's not easy to objectively compare junior/college prospect pool...there's probably a way...but eyeballing current group vs what he started with in 2014 I would easily take today's.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

2014/15.43364.526.1
2015/16.52463.426.0
2016/17.53059.425.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Every year they have gotten better, cheaper, and younger. Granted, right now 17/18 is not looking to continue the trend, but I am willing to at least wait out the year before I would advocate for firing someone.

Additionally you can look at objective performance of the AHL affiliate. 2014/15 Checkers were a 69 point team...this year's team is on pace of 96 points.

Last...it's not easy to objectively compare junior/college prospect pool...there's probably a way...but eyeballing current group vs what he started with in 2014 I would easily take today's.
So at the current rates, we'll be gettin that .600% in Points in the 2027-2028 season! Start planning the parade!

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I might be wrong, but I think Francis said the Plan has us making the playoffs next year which might explain his passiveness. I'm not saying any of that is acceptable. He hasn't made a single major or risky trade in his entire tenure. What's his grand strategy, sign Tavares? Cause on the current path the team isn't making the playoffs anytime soon let alone competing for a cup
I am pretty sure that`s this season you are talking about. I think this line was used at last years end media meeting. I remember Francis saying that we have to make playoffs this season or it will be failure for whole organisation.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

2014/15.43364.526.1
2015/16.52463.426.0
2016/17.53059.425.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I understand the intention of your point: there is evidence that the foundation of the house is "better" if you squint. But "better" does not mean "sufficient". It could very well be the difference between "garbage" and "mostly garbage".

Believing that the team is actually improving meaningfully under Ronnie, at present, is more a matter of faith than of evidence.

Last edited:

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I understand the intention of your point: there is evidence that the foundation of the house is "better" if you squint. But "better" does not mean "sufficient". It could very well be the difference between "garbage" and "mostly garbage".

Believing that the team is actually improving under Ronnie, at present, is more a matter of faith than of evidence.

C'mon man...you don't need to squint...don't let your H-anger blind you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad