GDT: This is the GDT

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
You know I'm just glad that Peters have Faulk the road C. He's been such an unbelievable leader on the road and has really taken the team under his wing this year. We wouldn't in this kind of position without his wonderful contributions

I like Faulk, I really do and it's not completely his fault but it's very difficult to be a leader when you've rarely seen team success. That's why Williams should be the captain. He may be less familiar with this current team but at least he knows how to win.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I like Faulk, I really do and it's not completely his fault but it's very difficult to be a leader when you've rarely seen team success. That's why Williams should be the captain. He may be less familiar with this current team but at least he knows how to win.

What it isn’t very difficult to do is not take a completely idiotic penalty in the 3rd period with a 2 goal lead and then get caught on the rush with a 1 goal lead in the 3rd period when overstaying a PP shift so long you get beat back down the ice by a 36 year old who isn’t much of a skater to begin with.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I've got nothin'.

What's funny is I thought in Metro we'd be fighting Philly for WC2 while NYI and NJD would stink...but they made huge improvements. Heck Weight is working out pretty darn well in NYI...and their goalies both suck too.

That's the problem with improvement in this league if you make 3 one inch improvements and your opponents make 3 7 inch improvements you're even further behind.

So far Aho, TT, and even Lindy have shown improvement (Lindy less than the others but he actually had points in Oct/Nov). The goaltending might be a little better? Hanifin has been improving his game. The bottom pairing is improved. All little wins. On the other hand NJD found a way to double their offensive output and NYI added two guys who will put up 60+ points in Eberle and Barzal and their HC seems to have them playing really well.

We could've been in the market for Eberle but I get the impression it wasn't going to happen for cost reasons? *shrug*

At this point it looks like the year may be lost....great time to call a HC and give him a 50 game audition. I don't have anyone in particular in mind..but maybe Suter as was suggested. Sell him on the doctors etc here for his son and a young defensive team he can molded to his style. I don't see the point of going to the offseason with this same coaching staff. Really don't want to lose Skinner he's probably aware changes need to be made after being here the last 5? 6? years.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The way this team plays with a lead is quite honestly embarrassing. And it’s not new. It’s very obviously a strategy of hang on for dear life and try not to lose. It takes everything they actually do well, throws it out the window, and asks them to defend, defend, defend for generally the full 20 minutes of the 3rd period.

The possession numbers bear that out. The disparity in CF% behind, tied, close, overall, vs. ahead is ridiculous. They are top 2 in every situation but all the way down at 11 when ahead.

The shitty thing about it is that’s how the 3rd period played out statistically and visually, but both goals weren’t 5 on 5 and the plays leading up to them were completely innocuous.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I've got nothin'.

What's funny is I thought in Metro we'd be fighting Philly for WC2 while NYI and NJD would stink...but they made huge improvements. Heck Weight is working out pretty darn well in NYI...and their goalies both suck too.

That's the problem with improvement in this league if you make 3 one inch improvements and your opponents make 3 7 inch improvements you're even further behind.

And the problem I feared most after the league reorganized a few years has come to fruition. A cap floor team cannot be successful in the Metro without being absolutely perfect with all their moves. There are too many big money franchises in this division to think small incremental improvements will get you anywhere. Philly, Pitt, NYR, NJ, and Washington will spend whatever it takes to be successful, and in most years 3 or 4 of them will get it right. And while Philly doesn't have it right at the current time, their franchise has a prolonged history of knowing how to make the playoffs, they'll get it right sooner rather than later. That means you're asking, of the remaining, the Canes, while spending at the Cap floor, to come out above the Isles, Columbus, and the lesser of the big spenders. It was set up from the beginning to punish teams that didn't spend, and sure enough, its killed us every year since we left the Southeast.

Hopefully Dundon comes in with an awareness that being cheap will hurt you in the Metro. We can't keep going for the cheap version of player A or B in hopes of hitting the lottery again like we did in 2006. We have a defensive core, its time to get aggressive with building out the rest of the roster, through trades and Free Agency.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
My thoughts after the game- AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Me after first period -

Blank+_30f715076dde91b756fe62dd53aeb20f.jpg

Me after game -

hqdefault.jpg

In the end- Canes gonna Cane
Experience Canes hockey!
#Redvolution

Ad

Upcoming events