GDT: This is the GDT

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Sharks vs the team that just got shutout by Jackob Markstrom at 10:30pm est on Fox Sports Carolinas

I miss this
I miss being able to yell "Faulk Yeah!" All the Faulking time when Faulk actually used to be good.

Why are we sucking?
I blame Lee Stempniak for us sucking. He's contributed absolutely nothing to the team this year, get your act together dude...

Do I still believe?
Yes I still believe in Santa and that the Canes will win just enough games to remain in mediocrity.

Keys to victory?
How about getting 35-50 shots on goal and have more than 3 of those shots go into the freaking net.

Find a sumo wrestler to play goalie

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I know it’s weird, but this is genuinely less than I’ve cared about this team in awhile.

I think it’s because I stupidly let myself actually have expectations this year, so I’m disappointed.

Like, I wouldn’t normally think twice about watching this game (it being so late means I can watch undisturbed, it’s too late for any social things to be going on).

But it will probably be a very boring 3-1 loss.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
I know it’s weird, but this is genuinely less than I’ve cared about this team in awhile.

I think it’s because I stupidly let myself actually have expectations this year, so I’m disappointed.
i think thats most of us anton... but for me every time i think that something about the hurricanes selling happens, ect. something always makes me care again and make them relevant to me

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Like, I wouldn’t normally think twice about watching this game (it being so late means I can watch undisturbed, it’s too late for any social things to be going on).

But it will probably be a very boring 3-1 loss.
You can only have someone try to sell you snake oil so many times before you just turn away. Apathy is a big problem with this franchise right now. It needs a lightning bolt spark, and we've been rubbing wet wood together for 9 years trying to make a fire. Hopefully the sale can help rejuvenate the fan base. I mean, we're still here, but we need something more than the usual "oh no, we're totally serious this year, this is the year we make the playoffs!" statements... We need a legitimate change.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
This is a follow-up comment to the GDT.

enhanced-buzz-20740-1424881176-34.jpg

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I had a dream we outshot the other team 90-70 and still lost 8-2. But I knew it was a dream because realistically that's too high a save percentage
I had a dream they immediately went down 4-0 and I shit it off in disgust. Then woke up again be checked at it was 4-4 in the 2nd. Then I actually woke up....

A true, and wholly entertaining story

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It's clear as day to me. We have less talent because we spend less money, and that means that we can "play the game the right way" -- i.e. be fancystat darlings -- and still lose more than we win. (Because overtime losses are still losses, f*** this "NHL .500" bullshit.)

If I'm wrong, and we're moneypucking the shit out of this bad boy and we just haven't seen a large enough sample size for the inevitable 10-game winning streak to kick in, great. Prove it.

If we've been waiting for new ownership to go get more talent, and a big money deal for a stud forward is right around the corner, great. Prove it.

Until then, I'm tired of the same old story, and I'm not going to games, and I'm not watching games on TV. I'm fed up with these motherf***ers.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
It's clear as day to me. We have less talent because we spend less money, and that means that we can "play the game the right way" -- i.e. be fancystat darlings -- and still lose more than we win. (Because overtime losses are still losses, **** this "NHL .500" bull****.)

If I'm wrong, and we're moneypucking the **** out of this bad boy and we just haven't seen a large enough sample size for the inevitable 10-game winning streak to kick in, great. Prove it.

If we've been waiting for new ownership to go get more talent, and a big money deal for a stud forward is right around the corner, great. Prove it.

Until then, I'm tired of the same old story, and I'm not going to games, and I'm not watching games on TV. I'm fed up with these mother****ers.

Take a gander at the list of top scorers in the league...let's say the top 60. What percent of those players were drafted and developed by the current club and what % were purchased on the open market away from their original club?

Teams don't let good players make it to FA....the Canes NHL roster, specifically the forward group is probably bottom quartile in the league...but it's mostly because the drafting was garbage for a long time....not because of a tight budget.

The core plan still needs to be draft, develop, and retain...fixing it with high dollar FA signing is not likely.

When RF took over, this franchise was god-awful in terms of NHL roster and prospect pool talent. I know the results aren't there to show it right now, but he has slowly been improving it each year. Results on the ice will lag good D&D by a few years.

Anywho...to paraphrase the great PK, we're gonna need the fans to be a little more patient...

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Take a gander at the list of top scorers in the league...let's say the top 60. What percent of those players were drafted and developed by the current club and what % were purchased on the open market away from their original club?

Teams don't let good players make it to FA....the Canes NHL roster, specifically the forward group is probably bottom quartile in the league...but it's mostly because the drafting was garbage for a long time....not because of a tight budget.

The core plan still needs to be draft, develop, and retain...fixing it with high dollar FA signing is not likely.

When RF took over, this franchise was god-awful in terms of NHL roster and prospect pool talent. I know the results aren't there to show it right now, but he has slowly been improving it each year. Results on the ice will lag good D&D by a few years.

Anywho...to paraphrase the great PK, we're gonna need the fans to be a little more patient...

36 of the top 50 scorers play for the team that drafted them. Of the 14 that weren’t, 2 are Vegas players, and only 3 were UFA signings (Staal, Radulov, and Oshie)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
In general, I agree but currently in the top 10 of NHL scorers, there are 4 guys not on the team that drafted them: Wheeler, Kessel, Voracek, Schenn. While it's true most of the top 50 were drafted by the team that they are currently on (Joe's number above), there are plenty of examples over time where teams traded for a guy that was a key piece (Kessel, Jeff Carter, Forsberg, Seguin, etc..).

Sometimes it's not just about signing an expensive UFA, it's about using the assets garnered via draft to make a key trade. With that typically comes more salary burden, or the need to spend more salary once the guy acquired becomes a UFA. I really think PK was not wanting to do that in recent years.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Its been 9 goddam years, how much more do we need to wait before this god for saken franchise shows a pulse again?

I mean Christ, we've seen other franchises get good, suck horribly, and then rebound to being respectable again in the time its been since we last saw the postseason in Raleigh. In any other situation, sure, patience is needed, but my god, you can't keep spinning tires in wet mud screaming "just be patient, it'll all be good soon enough".

There's a reason we're getting less than 9k people in the arena some nights. Its because our patience has reached its limit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->