Speculation: This is now the trade thread.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Neal went on IR after morning skate according to Karp. :D

(If it's true, it's likely retro to whenever he last played, meaning he's off today or tomorrow.
)

I don't understand the details about IR.... like what exactly is the point of putting someone on IR retroactively.... especially if you can theoretically take them of the IR that day? Doesn't make sense to me.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't understand the details about IR.... like what exactly is the point of putting someone on IR retroactively.... especially if you can theoretically take them of the IR that day? Doesn't make sense to me.
It opens up a roster spot.

You can only have 23 players on the team at a time, 20 dress and the others are scratched. With Neal on IR, he doesn't count toward the 23 limit, so there's a spot for someone without having to send someone on the 23 man roster to Chicago.

Once you're on IR, you can't play for seven days. If you add them retroactively, the seven day timer starts from the last game they played, which is the date you put on the IR assignment.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
It opens up a roster spot.

You can only have 23 players on the team at a time, 20 dress and the others are scratched. With Neal on IR, he doesn't count toward the 23 limit, so there's a spot for someone without having to send someone on the 23 man roster to Chicago.
Yeah but we didn't need a roster spot a week ago.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yeah but we didn't need a roster spot a week ago.
Depends on which day you're talking about, but Hyka and Matteau are up from Chicago right now, so they're taking up spots on the 23. The ones opened by Theodore and Bellemare going on IR.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Trying to find someone worth posting a tweet from, but rumors around Reaves coming to the Knights.

Doesn't make a ton of sense to me, anyone else seeing it? Other than GMGM fearing St. Louis and Dallas?

It would make sense if he were going to Ottawa, and Ottawa sent someone like Pageau to us. (Well, maybe that wouldn't be too smart on our part considering all the players that need to be re-signed.)

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It would make sense if he were going to Ottawa, and Ottawa sent someone like Pageau to us. (Well, maybe that wouldn't be too smart on our part considering all the players that need to be re-signed.)
He's a rental, he doesn't do anything except hold a spot in Ottawa, one that could be filled with one of their prospects.

Ottawa is done winning this season.

ETA: If Reaves is coming here, it means Bellemare is probably out for a long while.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He's a rental, he doesn't do anything except hold a spot in Ottawa, one that could be filled with one of their prospects.

Ottawa is done winning this season.

His term is why it would make sense. Ottawa either flips him or keeps him but either way it's palatable, and right now it's looking like Pittsburgh has to send more cap to Ottawa to get the deal done.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Stole this from reddit. It's from the Penguins, and is now deleted.
POuEWYr.jpg

Safe to assume this is the rejected deal, I suppose.

Reaves and a 4th for retaining salary.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
from Cole to Reaves and a 4th

CkyUXq5n6mtag.gif

This deal is getting worse all the time
Meh, if P-EB is out for a while, we kind of need a banger. We'll see if he can play well with more minutes like everyone else on the team.

Plus, it kind of helps having him if we see St. Louis, Anaheim, or Dallas in the playoffs, and he's a rental we're essentially getting for free.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I'd love to hear the specific reasons the deal was rejected. Cap circumvention by VGK retaining (all) salary, and none by OTT?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'd love to hear the specific reasons the deal was rejected. Cap circumvention by VGK retaining (all) salary, and none by OTT?
You can't retain on a guy that was never on your roster, so I'm guessing Ottawa has to trade us Brassard for something, then we'll have to trade Brassard to Pittsburgh for the 4th and Reaves as well as whatever we had to give Ottawa to get Brassard.

ETA: I keep forgetting Cole. I imagine we get Cole and Brassard for something, which means we might just get Reaves and the 4th in return.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Meh, if P-EB is out for a while, we kind of need a banger. We'll see if he can play well with more minutes like everyone else on the team.

Plus, it kind of helps having him if we see St. Louis, Anaheim, or Dallas in the playoffs, and he's a rental we're essentially getting for free.

I don't like that thinking. We are who we are, not 3 lines of one thing and a 4th line of another. If those teams come at us banging in the playoffs we just blow by them and win. If you are the superior team the last thing you do is change your strategy to be at your opponents level.

Reaves is nothing like PEB, he's more like Carrier with more size and less skill. He's not a leader, he's not a strategic player and he may be out of the league soon because that's the opposite of what most teams are going to. I'm just hoping and praying GMGM isn't falling into the nonsense that you need grit and size to win in the playoffs.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I don't like that thinking. We are who we are, not 3 lines of one thing and a 4th line of another. If those teams come at us banging in the playoffs we just blow by them and win. If you are the superior team the last thing you do is change your strategy to be at your opponents level.

Reaves is nothing like PEB, he's more like Carrier with more size and less skill. He's not a leader, he's not a strategic player and he may be out of the league soon because that's the opposite of what most teams are going to. I'm just hoping and praying GMGM isn't falling into the nonsense that you need grit and size to win in the playoffs.

GMGM doesn't know how to win the playoffs. He builds teams that wins regular season games. That's always been the knock on him and the reason he got fired.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I suppose this is the year we figure out of GMGM can make a playoff team, or if it’s just a Washington playoffs issue.

Until we lose in the playoffs, it makes no sense to bring the past up. Especially since the Caps are probably just cursed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad