Speculation: This is now the trade thread.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
ANY trade seems very very unlikely.

Even though everyone and their mom wants to play for Vegas now, there is no way you would like to danger the team chemistry in any way.

In the extreme case that we get, say E.Karlsson... the only way I could see him to NOT disturb the chemistry is to sit him until some other D gets injured. Just straight up replacing a D would give a signal that their work isn't appreciated. And that really is the extreme case, who the heck doesn't like E.Karlsson? Very few. But when you have a D that was supposed to be the Achilles heel and they perform like super stars.. that is what carries the team spirit in the long run.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
I wouldn't mess with the top 2 lines. A third line center, maybe a 4th liner with some toughness, but I could live with all our forwards going into playoffs. What we need is a Top tier d-man who can run the PP and make the quick outlet passes. My first choice would be Duncan Keith, and I think he can be had as the hawks will likely miss the playoffs. After that, maybe Karlsson, Green, Weber, McDonagh, Faulk.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
ANY trade seems very very unlikely.

Even though everyone and their mom wants to play for Vegas now, there is no way you would like to danger the team chemistry in any way.

In the extreme case that we get, say E.Karlsson... the only way I could see him to NOT disturb the chemistry is to sit him until some other D gets injured. Just straight up replacing a D would give a signal that their work isn't appreciated. And that really is the extreme case, who the heck doesn't like E.Karlsson? Very few. But when you have a D that was supposed to be the Achilles heel and they perform like super stars.. that is what carries the team spirit in the long run.
If you get Karlsson, he plays the very next game. You're not gonna play Hunt or Garrison over Karlsson.

Reactions: derriko

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Seen close to every game Karlsson has played in his pro career. He had offseason ankle surgery to repair his ankle if I remember correctly.

Don’t let the stats fool you, this is not Erik Karlsson playing this season. Normal Erik Karlsson skates the puck end to end 5-6 times a game. This current version isn’t even the best skater on his team.

Normal Erik Karlsson has the most confidence in the league, this current version dumps the puck in at the blue line.

Normal Erik Karlsson successfully makes a risky move as the last guy back on the blue line that every other d-man in the league would leave their coach pulling out his hair...this one dumps it into the corner.

Normal Erik is the best transition player in the game, and arguably in history. If he didn’t have the pass, he would just skate by 2-3 guys. This one chips it off the glass and turns the puck over.

What I’m trying to say is that, until the Karlsson we know shows his face, this would be an extremely risky move to trade for him.

If I’m Ottawa, I’d ask for Glass, Brannstrom, next years 1st, and a 2nd to get the conversation started. The team that trades for him will then sign him to like a 7x12 contract.

That is way too much value, and too much risk for a guy that could sadly never be the same. He already lost a half step after Cooke cut his Achilles. He adjusted to that, but he is still struggling to adjust his game 2/3rds into this season...if he ever does.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Seen close to every game Karlsson has played in his pro career. He had offseason ankle surgery to repair his ankle if I remember correctly.

Don’t let the stats fool you, this is not Erik Karlsson playing this season. Normal Erik Karlsson skates the puck end to end 5-6 times a game. This current version isn’t even the best skater on his team.

Normal Erik Karlsson has the most confidence in the league, this current version dumps the puck in at the blue line.

Normal Erik Karlsson successfully makes a risky move as the last guy back on the blue line that every other d-man in the league would leave their coach pulling out his hair...this one dumps it into the corner.

Normal Erik is the best transition player in the game, and arguably in history. If he didn’t have the pass, he would just skate by 2-3 guys. This one chips it off the glass and turns the puck over.

What I’m trying to say is that, until the Karlsson we know shows his face, this would be an extremely risky move to trade for him.

If I’m Ottawa, I’d ask for Glass, Brannstrom, next years 1st, and a 2nd to get the conversation started. The team that trades for him will then sign him to like a 7x12 contract.

That is way too much value, and too much risk for a guy that could sadly never be the same. He already lost a half step after Cooke cut his Achilles. He adjusted to that, but he is still struggling to adjust his game 2/3rds into this season...if he ever does.

You really wrote all this for a trade that has no chance of happening and is not in any way shape or form being considered by the Senators, let alone VGK? Then another clown writes if they trade for him they should healthy scratch him until someone gets hurt. What is it amateur day on Super Bowl Sunday?

Reactions: Catbug

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I'd rather see Hyka or Perri get call ups and see if they can add some offense to the 3rd line. Tuch needs to be playing with better linemates to unlock his potential.

Agreed. Eakin is a fine defensive center, but Bellemare does everything he does, and is more physical. You don’t need two 4th line centers, and don’t even get me started on Carpenter. Don’t understand why he was claimed on waivers over literally anyone else in the system.

Grabner would fit the team like a T, and be the perfect 3rd line wing, though he is having such a great year he would cost a 1st, and I wouldn’t do that. Nash would be good in that spot too. While he’s not fast, he’s a good puck possession player like Perron. Having a down year, he would be cheap.

Someone who could be a good under the radar acquisition would be Letestu. Versatile in that he can PK, play on the PP, win draws, and is solid in both ends. Having a down year (as everyone is in EDM) so he would be super cheap. Think 4th-5th round pick.

In that same category, Plekanec would be a good pick up. He has lost about 3 steps in the past couple years, but is still very good defensively, and a smart, veteran presence. He may be able to find his offense a bit getting out of the dumpster fire that is Montreal.

Nash - Letestu / Plekanec - Tuch would be an upgrade for just mid round picks.

If you really want to go for it, I would offer two 2nds for Grabner. NY might bite on that, and then you have one of the best goal scorers in the league that doesn’t need PP time and is a top PK’er. Not to mention an elite skater that would be good in a puck possession / transition team.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
You really wrote all this for a trade that has no chance of happening and is not in any way shape or form being considered by the Senators, let alone VGK? Then another clown writes if they trade for him they should healthy scratch him until someone gets hurt. What is it amateur day on Super Bowl Sunday?

Funny thing is you just took the time to read it andrespond to it. We might as well start a circus because you are a clown too. I don’t know if you even realize how dumb you just made yourself look.

And you know it’s not being considered how? You just know a lot of NHL GM’s? What do you think we are all doing on here anyway? You think GM’s are reading our comments and are like...oh yeah...good idea? We’re killing time, entertaining ourselves a bit. So take the stick out of your butt.

And this season hurts as a Sens fan...let me vent.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Funny thing is you just took the time to read it andrespond to it. We might as well start a circus because you are a clown too. I don’t know if you even realize how dumb you just made yourself look.

And you know it’s not being considered how? You just know a lot of NHL GM’s? What do you think we are all doing on here anyway? You think GM’s are reading our comments and are like...oh yeah...good idea? We’re killing time, entertaining ourselves a bit. So take the stick out of your butt.

Because there is no way the Sens are giving up on Karlsson, that's why. As a Sens fan you should know that. I don't mind you venting, but stating what is nonsense and getting people onto this idea that a trade could even be considered is wasteful. Post something that is reasonable. Not post how about trading the Sens every future asset you got for a guy you may take a lukewarm interest in during free agency.

And the other post was total foolishness. Who trades away every asset and then says to the acquired player well we hear you are good, but we don't want to upset the fringe players on the roster, so you'll wait your turn. What's next, trade for McDavid and say you have a spot now, but once Nosek is back you'll have to go wait your turn in the press box?

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Because there is no way the Sens are giving up on Karlsson, that's why. As a Sens fan you should know that. I don't mind you venting, but stating what is nonsense and getting people onto this idea that a trade could even be considered is wasteful. Post something that is reasonable. Not post how about trading the Sens every future asset you got for a guy you may take a lukewarm interest in during free agency.

And the other post was total foolishness. Who trades away every asset and then says to the acquired player well we hear you are good, but we don't want to upset the fringe players on the roster, so you'll wait your turn. What's next, trade for McDavid and say you have a spot now, but once Nosek is back you'll have to go wait your turn in the press box?

To your first point, it’s fun to just throw out possibilities. But there is a real chance Karlsson gets moved this summer. He is in his prime, and is looking to contend. Ottawa, if they don’t land Dahlin, is not going to be that team + Ottawa is going to try and move talent just to free up the money to sign Erik. That team is flooring it in reverse.

Vegas was also rumored to be on his list, though I don’t see a good, mutual trade that doesn’t drain Vegas’s future.

To your second point, I think we all know that was ridiculous. But give the person a break. Not to sound condescending, but they may be a new fan or something like that.

You just don’t need to be a dick when we’re all on the same team here. That’s all I’m saying. Now if you want to talk to Toronto fans like that, go for it haha.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Logic says the trade wouldn't happen. I don't think LV has the assets to acquire him.

You don't need to know NHL GMs to arrive at a pretty logical conclusion.

It's pretty stupid to suggest to sit Karlson. Just asinine.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Reactions: Nevada Jones

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I don't understand why you put this guy on blast for posting about a trade that has no chance of happening, when his post delineates the reasons it has no chance of happening.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Nash intriguing, but how much left in the tank, and at what cost.

While not necessarily advocating acquiring this specific player, acquiring someone shows confidence in team.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
First off, I apreiciated the insight into Karlsson, thank you. Second, I believe that with Karlsson's demands and his recent injury that Ottawa could well move him for a very nice return. Third, the post about sitting Karlsson was a little naive, but as i've seen on other postings, Vegas has a lot of non-traditional hockey fans that are learning and I keep that in mind when responding.
Anyway, I agree that Tuch is playing with weeker linemates so an upgrade to the third line winger would help. I like Eakin, he gets the puck and gets it where it needs to go and is reasonably safe without the puck. It's the other winger (whoever that is on the day) that concerns me. Bellemare is great, wouldn't move him. Rick Nash has never impressed me, he always looks like there should be more there, but there never is.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
It is an interesting spot, and I don't know enough about the names being tossed out as trade possibilities to really comment. I just think it is important to keep and eye on the future more than the present still. As others have said, we can't afford to trade future assets for a rental. We'd be toast in a few seasons and I think GMGM is more long-term focused than that. Honestly, I'm expecting them to not make any moves at all outside of continuing to sign our current UFAs.

Reactions: derriko

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
It is an interesting spot, and I don't know enough about the names being tossed out as trade possibilities to really comment. I just think it is important to keep and eye on the future more than the present still. As others have said, we can't afford to trade future assets for a rental. We'd be toast in a few seasons and I think GMGM is more long-term focused than that. Honestly, I'm expecting them to not make any moves at all outside of continuing to sign our current UFAs.
Normally I'd agree, but the fact is this team is more Stanley Cup contender than it is expansion team. I would'nt give up Glass or Suzuki, but we do have some draft picks that could be good trade bait for the right player.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Normally I'd agree, but the fact is this team is more Stanley Cup contender than it is expansion team. I would'nt give up Glass or Suzuki, but we do have some draft picks that could be good trade bait for the right player.

Honestly, like I mentioned in my post above, there’s a couple solid vets that could be acquired for virtually nothing.

The team has 8 NHL quality defenseman, so there’s no need there.

They really could use a 3LW and get one for cheap as there are a lot of sellers this year.

Having Carpenter / Leipsic / Carrier / Nosek types as healthy scratches that could step in and play is solid playoff depth.

I fully expect there to be a veteran presence added to the forward ranks by the deadline.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Maybe something very minor like adding Cammalleri or something more obvious like Wingels. I have a feeling Cammy would have a great playoff run.

You know the Habs would ask for Suzuki or Brannstrom for Pacioretty. Not worth it for a year and a half IMO.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
I don't care for Pacioretty. Justin Williams out of Carolina would be a good playoff addition.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Corey Sznajder on possible Vegas Trade Deadline targets like Mike Green, Michael Grabner, Max Pacioretty,...
As a longtime Caps fan the thought of getting Green makes my skin crawl!!! (PP yeah, even strength defense, no.)
Grabner? A cheap 25-goal scoring zombie away from the puck. No thanks.

Patches? A 30-goal scorer having an off year for a team in chaos, yet under contract for next season? THAT sounds like a Golden Knights type of steal! LOCK & LOAD.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Not sure what McPhee said about picking guys who would have good chemistry is really true, but the fact that we have a team full of B class players playing close to A class is something special.

There will not be any big trades, I was just making an example that some took the wrong way. They will only trade for cheap young talents.

The strong lineups that we have, all the draft picks, cap space, hype and all the interest to get into the team... They have to make some REALLY BAD and expensive contracts to not have the Knights on top of the conference for the next 5-10 years.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
After the last couple games, I think we need someone steady to lead the defense group. They're all pretty decent, but the last couple games we've seen the wheels come off a little in the D zone. Too much running around, they need someone calm who can stabilize the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad