Speculation: This is now the trade thread.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
If someone told McPhee all those assets would bust except one would turn into a player like Karlsson, he would take it. This is the Crosby of defenders.

We have a young team. We have three 2nds and three 3rds in the 2019 draft and three more 2nds in 2020. I think we could work it out for a player of that caliber.

I'm not sure if THAT Karsson would do us any good.

I agree with Lawless, Vegas needs a top tier D-man. Someone who can stabilize the defense and legitimately run the PP. Teams don't usually win the SC with "defense by committee", they have defensemen like Doughty, Keith, Chara, Lidstrom, Niedermayer etc. I know these players are rare, but there are some top level defensemen that are available.

Remember when we drafted Methot? Me neither... xD

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
The prospects and picks we would need to give up, would gut our already limited prospect pool.

If the rumor that Ryan would need to be attached to a Karlsson deal is true that would really limit the teams that could be in the mix and drive the return down.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
That Bobby Ryan deal is about as toxic as they come. That makes what would have been a EK for a bunch of players/picks into EK/BR for prospect and one not necessarily top pick.

If I am GMGM I'm sitting back and saying I have a shot at him in June this year or June next year. If Bobby Ryan is part of it then forget it, I'm waiting until next year because I know I have a real shot at signing him or Doughty with my cap space and core group.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
If someone told McPhee all those assets would bust except one would turn into a player like Karlsson, he would take it. This is the Crosby of defenders.

We have a young team. We have three 2nds and three 3rds in the 2019 draft and three more 2nds in 2020. I think we could work it out for a player of that caliber.

Karlsson looks terrible post foot surgery. He's the last player i would want in a trade.

[MOD]Karlsson is not a generational player that you've read about this season if you bothered to watch a single sens game. Go watch the recent Toronto game vs the sens. Karlsson gets abused on 4 or 5 goals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Supermassive

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't want Karlsson.

I'm just saying that so there's a record. For most of the same reasons as everyone else, dude just isn't the same since he's returned. I'd like to see him do EK stuff a lot more often prior to paying EK costs.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Karlsson looks terrible post foot surgery. He's the last player i would want in a trade.

[MOD]Karlsson is not a generational player that you've read about this season if you bothered to watch a single sens game. Go watch the recent Toronto game vs the sens. Karlsson gets abused on 4 or 5 goals.

Karlsson looked not just broken, but bitterly angry and frustrated last night. He might be too much of a riverboat gambler for the Knights to want to upset their chemistry in pursuit of.

A more affordable veteran d-man would be my target. Someone bigger who can kill penalties and clear the front of the net, and take some d-zone starts away from Hunt.

Oduya?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
How will Winnipeg or Toronto handle it...or Boston? We don't know that either. Yeah, there are always 8 teams that do well and lose in the first round, there are also 8 teams that advance to the second round. The Knights are not a middling team that squeaks into the playoffs, if they were, I'd agree 100% with you. This team, if you look at their contract and prospect situation along with their record and consistency are proving to be as much a Stanley Cup contender as top any team in the league. It makes no more sense (and no less) for Tampa or Nashville to trade away a prospect to make a cup run then it does for Vegas. In fact Vegas has more draft picks in the upcoming years than either of those teams. What if they did trade away a draft pick and didn't win the cup? Would they be any worse off today than we thought they'd be at the beginning of the season? The Knights are effectively playing with house money and could afford to move a prospect or draft pick for a legitimate cup run.

There are always people who argue that deadline trades don't help, sure, that makes sense because only 1 out of 16 teams wins the Stanley Cup. The Knights do have a window to win the Stanley Cup, a window that rarely comes around for most teams and they should realize that possibility. I don't know what team you usually follow, but legitimate Stanley Cup contending teams come along about once every 10 years, if the team is lucky. I have seen once, maybe twice in the history of the Canucks where they were legitimate contenders, Toronto has not in 50 years been a contender, Chicago went about 50 years before they were real contenders too. St.Louis has never really had a contender. I could go on and on, but just because this is a first year team, doesn't make them any less legitimate than other teams who are stacking up for the playoffs.

It's a fair point but I just think most every other playoff team could have more confidence in their ability to handle playoff pressure than we could. The whole team is new and the atmosphere of playoff hockey is something our organization has never experienced.

I'm all for moving good assets or picks and making a splash, whenever (deadline, draft, summer, mid-season) to get a player who we think will work for us and be here for the long term but I don't like giving up 1sts or good prospects for one playoff run rentals.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

And a 27 year old player can't have a few bad games? Can't heal and come back stronger?

Have no idea what the price is going to be for EK, but you guys are comical. He's an elite player at the hardest position to acquire. You all think Schmidt or Theodore are really going to be better players than Karlsson? Just stop it please. If EK can be acquired for a not ridiculous price (like getting saddled with that insane Bobby Ryan contract) I am over the moon and you all should be too. I doubt that's going to happen, but these sort of acquisitions are as rare as can be and will come along once a decade for a franchise if they are lucky.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
And a 27 year old player can't have a few bad games? Can't heal and come back stronger?

Have no idea what the price is going to be for EK, but you guys are comical. He's an elite player at the hardest position to acquire. You all think Schmidt or Theodore are really going to be better players than Karlsson? Just stop it please. If EK can be acquired for a not ridiculous price (like getting saddled with that insane Bobby Ryan contract) I am over the moon and you all should be too. I doubt that's going to happen, but these sort of acquisitions are as rare as can be and will come along once a decade for a franchise if they are lucky.

Karlsson would be a great add to the team. However, imho, the pieces we would have to give to get him would set us back more than EK would advance us.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Agree.

If he came as a FA and it just cost money, I'm 100% down. I'd like to see him play a better game prior to doing it, but I'm down.

If it costs a little/lottle bit of the future of this franchise for a little over a year's worth of his service, I think I'm out.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
dWV74.gif

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I don't want EK65 either. He didn't have regular surgery that people recover from all the time. He had a very complicated foot surgery and it's very possible he will never be the same player ever again. If vgk is overpaying for a dman I rather have mcdonagh.

And I would rather chase JT in the off season if he hits the market than extending EK who looks down right awful as of now.

If GMGM traded for him and extended EK, the contract could be laughable if he never recovers. It'll be much worse than the Seabrook contact.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If I'm Ottawa I'm waiting to see if I win the draft/Dahlin lottery before trading Karlsson. Then I'm fielding offers on July 1st, when he can re-sign with the team he gets traded to. And I'm also not trading him to a team in my own division.

But that's just me. Pundits seem to think he'll be gone by Monday.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Feels like GM Jeff Gorton did Grabner a favor by trading him across the river. Lots of speculation that the Rangers would like to re-sign him come July 1.

On the surface it would seem like the Knights had more to offer the Rangers. Who knows if McPhee was even interested?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Feels like GM Jeff Gorton did Grabner a favor by trading him across the river. Lots of speculation that the Rangers would like to re-sign him come July 1.

On the surface it would seem like the Knights had more to offer the Rangers. Who knows if McPhee was even interested?
That’s always something to consider. Some players are unwilling to move out west for a playoff run. Shattenkirk, those kind of guys. Maybe they can’t handle the travel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad