This is a Bad Hockey Team 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That's been happening in the NHL...
So there are no teams that are that impressive yet the same few teams are marked for the finals each year? How are the teams marked for the finals every year not that impressive?

The league is fine Imo, NYR is as uninteresting as they've been in many, many years.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So there are no teams that are that impressive yet the same few teams are marked for the finals each year? How are the teams marked for the finals every year not that impressive?

The league is fine Imo, NYR is as uninteresting as they've been in many, many years.

They're above average teams in a league of garbage. They don't hold a candle to dynasties from the past.

The Penguins don't even compare favorably to the Flyers of the early 2000's, let alone teams that actually won the Cup.

All anyone was talking about last year was how easy it would be for the Rangers to potentially sneak through the Eastern Conference. And a dismal Senators team almost did. What does that say about the league?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
They're above average teams in a league of garbage. They don't hold a candle to dynasties from the past.

The Penguins don't even compare favorably to the Flyers of the early 2000's, let alone teams that actually won the Cup.

Don't compare to the flyers of the early 2000s how? They have 2 cups. They have at least 2 point per game players.

And I think it's a positive we don't have past dynasties. The league is too dynastic as it is.

Just so I understand, you want the league to have a few teams who are head and shoulders above all others? That would make the league better to you?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just so I understand, you want the league to have a few teams who are head and shoulders above all others? That would make the league better to you?
I will say that the watered down mediocrity (attempts at league-wide parity) does not produce a better product. At least IMO.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I will say that the watered down mediocrity (attempts at league-wide parity) does not produce a better product. At least IMO.
I don't really see it honestly. What do you think the league is doing to force parity? Arizona has less than half the points TB does.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Don't compare to the flyers of the early 2000s how? They have 2 cups. They have at least 2 point per game players.

And I think it's a positive we don't have past dynasties. The league is too dynastic as it is.

I want there to be 7-8 contenders instead of 3, I want those teams to be together longer, and I want them to be more impressive than the other 20+.

A team like the Senators shouldn't come close to the Cup, a team like Penguins shouldn't win two straight, and an expansion team shouldn't be in the Presidents Trophy hunt.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

There isn't really parity.

They've just made the top teams above average and the rest of the teams unwatchable.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I want there to be 7-8 contenders instead of 3, I want those teams to be together longer, and I want them to be more impressive than the other 20+.

A team like the Senators shouldn't come close to the Cup, a team like Penguins shouldn't win two straight, and an expansion team shouldn't be in the Presidents Trophy hunt.

Who do you think are contenders this year? And what do you mean together longer? PIT, CHI, TB, LAK, WSH, etc have had the same essential cores for years.

A team with the best defender in the league shouldn't be able to get hot and make a run at the cup? They're garbage this year now with minor tweaks. Didn't LA go from a mediocre regular season to the most dominant playoff run in recent memory a few years back? Unlikely teams making runs isn't new or bad imo.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Who do you think are contenders this year? And what do you mean together longer? PIT, CHI, TB, LAK, WSH, etc have had the same essential cores for years.

A team with the best defender in the league shouldn't be able to get hot and make a run at the cup? They're garbage this year now with minor tweaks. Didn't LA go from a mediocre regular season to the most dominant playoff run in recent memory a few years back? Unlikely teams making runs isn't new or bad imo.

Teams have the same essential cores but the rest of the roster is in constant turmoil. Compare the Rangers now to the 14-15 Rangers. It's been two and a half years.

No, a team with one player that becomes garbage with "minor tweaks" should absolutely f***ing not be making a run. They shouldn't even sniff the Cup. They shouldn't even dream about the Cup. LA being a dynasty when they were a shit regular season team the entire time is exactly the problem.

I think the contenders this year are probably Tampa, Boston, and Pittsburgh. That's it. Some dead team walking will crawl out of the West and lose in 6 boring games in the fifth consecutive sleep-aid Stanley Cup Finals.

I'll be watching regular season baseball.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Teams have the same essential cores but the rest of the roster is in constant turmoil. Compare the Rangers now to the 14-15 Rangers. It's been two and a half years.

No, a team with one player that becomes garbage with "minor tweaks" should absolutely ****ing not be making a run. They shouldn't even sniff the Cup. They shouldn't even dream about the Cup. LA being a dynasty when they were a **** regular season team the entire time is exactly the problem.

I think the contenders this year are probably Tampa, Boston, and Pittsburgh. That's it. Some dead team walking will crawl out of the West and lose in 6 boring games in the fifth consecutive sleep-aid Stanley Cup Finals.

I'll be watching regular season baseball.
This is less a problem with the hard cap, and more a problem with the fact that most GMs have no idea how to build a team.

The Edmonton Oilers have had arguably the best player in hockey on an ELC for three seasons, and they're going to come away with one playoff series win out of that.

That's ****ing horrid.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is less a problem with the hard cap, and more a problem with the fact that most GMs have no idea how to build a team.

Edmonton was building something real nice and then McDavid and Draisaitl got a third of their cap.

The guillotine is waiting over Toronto's head just chomping at the bit.

Exciting young teams that are built right don't get a chance to mature.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think this is a great point, and it is certainly an issue throughout the league. If you can't build a successful team around the best player in the league who is still on his ELC, there's no chance you should be a GM, for example.

But I do agree with MH that the cap really does unfairly hurt teams who have built highly talented teams that have to be torn down because the rest of the league can't sustain itself, it's crap.

Reactions: Igor Shestyorkin

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's very simple.

Have a salary cap, but instead of banning teams from the ice for going over, just tax them and then share revenue with the smallest teams.

Dragging everyone down into mock poverty just gives you 31 problems instead of half the teams being problems.

Here's some shocking news - people don't like giving away money for nothing. Most owners won't violate a soft cap. The important thing is, they can if they have the promise of several years of contention.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Edmonton was building something real nice and then McDavid and Draisaitl got a third of their cap.

The guillotine is waiting over Toronto's head just chomping at the bit.

Exciting young teams that are built right don't get a chance to mature.
Toronto is another hilarious f*** up, but at least they have another year to get it right. Only Nylander is due for a new deal this off-season.

But to get slightly back on topic, I do believe that the league is set up for failure. If I was commissioner, I'd do everything in my power to cut this league down to 24 teams. Would be legitimately impossible, the PA would never allow it, but that's what needs to happen.

Maybe there's enough talent to fill 32 teams, but why does there need to be 32 teams? Cut that shit to 24. Imagine the talent, then? Except we go back to the original problem, and for some reason, even in a 24 team league, the Rangers would claim McLeod on waivers, and ship an actual hockey player like Stempniak to Siberia.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

The Edmonton Oilers have had arguably the best player in hockey on an ELC for three seasons, and they're going to come away with one playoff series win out of that.

That's ****ing horrid.

Yes, but you know as well as I do that they're better than their record this year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Toronto is another hilarious **** up, but at least they have another year to get it right. Only Nylander is due for a new deal this off-season.

But to get slightly back on topic, I do believe that the league is set up for failure. If I was commissioner, I'd do everything in my power to cut this league down to 24 teams. Would be legitimately impossible, the PA would never allow it, but that's what needs to happen.

Maybe there's enough talent to fill 32 teams, but why does there need to be 32 teams? Cut that **** to 24. Imagine the talent, then? Except we go back to the original problem, and for some reason, even in a 24 team league, the Rangers would claim McLeod on waivers, and ship an actual hockey player like Stempniak to Siberia.

This is very true, and it's a huge problem, but the product was more entertaining when teams had an entire line of goons, so it can't really explain why the league is boring.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
At the very least, Arizona has to go. It's over, Gary. It failed.

The team is constantly atrocious and they're a money faucet. It's over.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Toronto is another hilarious **** up, but at least they have another year to get it right. Only Nylander is due for a new deal this off-season.

Maybe there's enough talent to fill 32 teams, but why does there need to be 32 teams? Cut that **** to 24. Imagine the talent, then? Except we go back to the original problem, and for some reason, even in a 24 team league, the Rangers would claim McLeod on waivers, and ship an actual hockey player like Stempniak to Siberia.

i dont think the problem is having too many teams, 32 is a good number....the bigger problem is idiot GM's and coaches thinking that mcleod deserves a shot on any roster. a perfect example of that is vegas, they are an exciting team because they were put together with a plan

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This is very true, and it's a huge problem, but the product was more entertaining when teams had an entire line of goons, so it can't really explain why the league is boring.
Is it possible that you're just older than you used to be? I've found that my interest has waned in recent years compared to when I was a child, or even in college.

Also, there's the fact that we've been pretty spoiled the last few years. Henrik Lundqvist has played 128 playoff games since he entered the league. That means we've watched at least 128 playoff games in the last 12 seasons. There is a marked difference between watching a playoff game, and watching a regular season game. I feel it. I think everyone else does, too. You don't get up for a regular season goal like you do a playoff goal. And since we've had so many playoff games, and some great ones, especially recently, it dilutes the regular season.

This is all me personally, though.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Great idea. NEVER is happening. Not only because of the PA, but also because of owners. In fact aren't they supposed to expand again?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Great idea. NEVER is happening. Not only because of the PA, but also because of owners. In fact aren't they supposed to expand again?
Yes, they're going to Seattle. 32 teams. Dumb as hell.

Give me 24 teams and a 60 game schedule.

Can't do it though. Money makes the world go around.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is it possible that you're just older than you used to be? I've found that my interest has waned in recent years compared to when I was a child, or even in college.

Also, there's the fact that we've been pretty spoiled the last few years. Henrik Lundqvist has played 128 playoff games since he entered the league. That means we've watched at least 128 playoff games in the last 12 seasons. There is a marked difference between watching a playoff game, and watching a regular season game. I feel it. I think everyone else does, too. You don't get up for a regular season goal like you do a playoff goal. And since we've had so many playoff games, and some great ones, especially recently, it dilutes the regular season.

Fair point, but my interest in other sports has gone way up. Probably not a great sign.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Fair point, but my interest in other sports has gone way up. Probably not a great sign.

to be fair ones interest in other sports doesnt really mean that your not into hockey anymore....i follow multiple sports but hockey is 1st, if your not watching hockey at all thats a completely different story

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

I have felt this somewhat but only because I feel the team isnt good enough to compete for a cup so it kind of sucks the joy out of the games. If I never heard of corsi I'd probably still be as intense as used to be honestly. Still watch every game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad