This is $8.00 in French Fries at a Canucks game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
so is this legit or did she like eat some first and then take the pic? I know its expensive and Pizza slices are tiny but this feels.... unrealistic

Id be willing to put money down she ate some first or her bf or something got it and ate some on the way back and just told her this is all they gave us
Further along in the twitter thread she mentions the canucks reached out on Sunday and assured her thats not what a serving is supposed to look like and she is meeting with a canucks rep on Thursday.

No question that arena food is overpriced, but I agree, something is up.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
American Major pro sports concessions are an absolute joke.

I always eat before, or bring in your own food in your jacket. Same with booze.

They rape you with insane prices for mostly terrible quality food that you can make microwaved from your freezer for a quarter of the price.
I mean some places have really good food, but I agree on the prices . But they’ve got you captive so either pay for it or go hungry / thirsty. Or have a good pregaming plan.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
I get more fries from five guys…… Ans they charge about what a sporting event does for food.

$8 is also what I paid for a 20oz bottle of sprite at the Lightning game I went to a couple weeks ago.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Further along in the twitter thread she mentions the canucks reached out on Sunday and assured her thats not what a serving is supposed to look like and she is meeting with a canucks rep on Thursday.

No question that arena food is overpriced, but I agree, something is up.
They want her to give a description of the concession stand worker who gave her way too many fries in that tub so they can fire them.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
...inflation caused by fiscal irresponsibility for one. Sure, very literally you can say "just don't buy it", but similar to the "just build your own twitter" retort it's silly because these people have to buy food somewhere and if it's not ridiculous pricing at an arena game then it's ridiculous pricing at the grocery store or restaurant.
Again, what is the causal mechanism between "fiscal irresponsibility" and an individual spending 8 bucks on fries at the hockey game. You have not articulated this.

Yes, people have to buy food. They don't have to buy the most overpriced options available.

And was the alternative, at the onset of the pandemic, to simply let everyone whose jobs were shutdown go without income? Would that be more fiscally responsible? To impoverish a large segment of the population?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3074326

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
so is this legit or did she like eat some first and then take the pic? I know its expensive and Pizza slices are tiny but this feels.... unrealistic

Id be willing to put money down she ate some first or her bf or something got it and ate some on the way back and just told her this is all they gave us
This is definitely a very reasonable possibilty.

Whenever I see stuff like this on the internet that was clearly posted to be engagement bait, my default assumption is it was faked/staged or greatly exaggerated.

I've also been to many Canucks games. My dad usually buys from the White Spot/Triple O's there. I've definitely seen him get more fries than that.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
This is a $22 draft at the Scotiabank Arena.

proxy-image.jpg

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I know this is crazy but hear me out. Maybe they were hungry. Maybe they didn’t have time to eat before they left. Many possibilities. Crazy!
Did the game sneak up on them? If you know you're going to a hockey game tonight, it takes 5 minutes to plan ahead and get food or bring food with you to work.

Even if they were hungry those 13 fries ain't going to cut it, and unless it's their first time going to a game, they should already know this.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Did the game sneak up on them? If you know you're going to a hockey game tonight, it takes 5 minutes to plan ahead and get food or bring food with you to work.

Even if they were hungry those 13 fries ain't going to cut it, and unless it's their first time going to a game, they should already know this.
Maybe they got last minute tickets? Maybe they came right from an appointment/work and we’re going to be late? Maybe it was their first time cause they had no choice and had a hungry kid. No one wants a hungry kid in public. There is numerous reasons people might have to buy food at the game and I’m sure they learned their lesson. Either way it’s not on them it’s on the donkeys selling this garbage.

Reactions: Oryxo

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford

Saw it on the reddit mainboard.
Thought it was worth discussing what the concession has been up to the past couple of years.
It's getting out of hand at Rogers Arena for sure - I am sure this isn't the only city with a terrible rate of return on food, but in my experience at least in American arenas you at least get a decent portion despite paying hand-over-fist.
In Canada you just get the worst of both worlds.

In one way good. Less junk food in your system. In the other it's a rip off. Just like tourist traps. And it applies to many sports. Fans are just seen as cash cows while players get even bigger salaries. Be it this, ticket prices, merchandising fans need to band together over tribal rivalries and organize action. Be it boycotts or walkouts and say enough is enough.

It's the only thing owners of whatever team or whatever sport it is that will make them sit up and notice.

In the good old days certainly here at football and rugby union you could bring in your flask of tea and sandwiches and have a nibble at half time. Now they'll frisk you for food like you're a terrorist threat. The infamous debacle of the tea flasks at Watford last season for instance. Or dispose of your branded drink if it clashes with the sponsor.

They hope that over 120 minutes or so you'll make the decision to then buy their overpriced often tasteless disgusting beverages or food. Sport has become so far removed from the essence of what it was and the what it meant to communities and the relationship between fans and players.

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Maybe they got last minute tickets? Maybe they came right from an appointment/work and we’re going to be late? Maybe it was their first time cause they had no choice and had a hungry kid. No one wants a hungry kid in public. There is numerous reasons people might have to buy food at the game and I’m sure they learned their lesson. Either way it’s not on them it’s on the donkeys selling this garbage.
Personally I'd rather be a couple minutes late than pay their prices, 100% agree about the bolded though.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Pretty sad considering you can buy a 1 kg bag of Compliments frozen french fries at Freshco for $2.49

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Food at arenas in general is stupidly expensive. Even going to 2010 a hotdog at my local sports arena was about $5. It was the kind of hot dog you can as a bundle at your local grocery store for the same price.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
This is $8.00 in fries at the Costco food court:

1710887278285.png
1710887285975.png

1710887339276.png

The trick is to find a way to sneak them in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad