Speculation: The Worst UFA contract of 2016

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
May not count but I don't think FL will be happy with yandles contract.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Stamkos could soak up a TON of cap, limiting how well a team can build. But at the same time he'll be a 40+ goal scorer.

As excited as I am to possibly have him, I'm going with Lucic. I'm fine with giving him 5.5-6 mill. But I'm seeing a 6 year term bring thrown around and at that length I don't know.

Demers will also likely be overpaid. But I just don't feel as nervous about that deal for whatever reason

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Okposo will be over paid big time.

Lucic will be overpaid but not too badly.

Stamkos at 26 years old will not be as bad of a deal as most think. He's not a guy towards the end of his years and looking to get that last big contract... Even with seven years it only brings him into his early 30s

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
I think Boedker is going to be a real bad contract. Still youngish but is pretty much just a PP producer.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
E Staal, Martin, Backes, Vrbata, Brouwer, Chimera

images.jpg

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Demers seems very likely right now. He's gonna be paid more than many first pairing guys dispite beeing closer to third than first pairing.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
The only reason it won't be MB is because the Oilers will overpay more for one of Lucic /Demers or both.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I know I already mentioned him, but there is not enough Backes in this thread.

He is a worse player than Lucic with just as bad(or worse) of a decline risk and is going to get a similar contract.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
May not count but I don't think FL will be happy with yandles contract.

The way the league is evolving at least I see Yandle being a good player down the road. Also need to consider the fact that the Dman market is extremely poor, and Yandle was probably the best option out there. Defensemen, generally speaking, will get overpaid in the next few years because there just isn't enough quality Dman.

I remember people saying the same thing about Brian Campbell when he was in Chicago after signing that monster deal. They basically traded him for nothing to get rid of his contract. Reality is the game is changing to a faster pace where possession is key and having a guy like Yandle that can get the puck out of the zone with ease and that has good offensive tools will be more and more important. Given the fact that he should be a solid partner for Ekblad is great and it should help Ekblad grow his offensive side too.

Not that Yandle's contract isn't a little too much, that I agree, but down the road I don't see this deal as one they'll regret as much as people think.

The deals that teams will regret are for guys like Backes and Lucic who are on the backside of their career and will get paid big money compared to what they provide as far as on ice product. These guys will be worth their contract for the fisrt few years but after that I think they'll be some of the worst ones, not Yandle IMO.

I know I already mentioned him, but there is not enough Backes in this thread.

He is a worse player than Lucic with just as bad(or worse) of a decline risk and is going to get a similar contract.

Agree completely, especially on Backes.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The only reason it won't be MB is because the Oilers will overpay more for one of Lucic /Demers or both.

I really doubt we will. That's the whole point of the arena visits, and of course we're selling them on that we're a team on the rise. We have cap space today, but Chiarelli will be talking to them about our long term cap situation. I think that matters more than most think, and might be a big reason that Seth Jones signed for a bit less in Columbus.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I predict Staal to Detroit. I feel like they'll do something silly in order to try to fill the Datsyuk void.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Just food for thought,

say a player wants 5 M a year for 5 years.
Is there a way to structure this such that you instead offer/do 4 million/yr for 7 years,
and with the salary, a buyout on those last 2 years doesn't crush you?

So you kind of know ahead of time that i'm likely only going to get this player for a good 5 years at 4 Million (meaning he will pay above that contract for 5 years), and then when they fall off the cliff the buyout portion doesn't cripple you?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Demers. There are teams desperate for defensemen and he's the only real good option on the market.

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
i think Shaw is in the lead right now (sorry hab fans i know you guys don't believe so), but will be eclipsed by Ladd/Lucic/Demers, i think Russell will get stupid money too.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Brandon Mashinter. Everything over league minimum is way too much.

:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad