Speculation: The Worst UFA contract of 2016

Evergreen

Matt Martin is a fourth liner who is about to be paid like a high end third liner.

Group Chat Legend*

Hate to say it because I love him but I think Okposo.

I think whoever loses out on both Lucic and Ladd is going to look to Okposo to fill that contract slot and with two immediate comparables getting slightly overpaid Okposo as a 'backup plan' will likely command silly money and term.

I dont agree, I think he signs with NJ July 1st since he is local and Shero will pay him enough

Thats how I see it at least

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
So many contenders for worst contract that it's impossible to pick. I expect we will be looking back in a few years and wonder what the hell these GM's were thinking. I know people will be quick to declare free agency winners and losers. The Winners will be the teams that don't get involved in this **** show and the losers will be the teams that handout ridiculous contracts.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011

First off i have a hard time seeing Demers getting 5 million dollars per season especially when somebody like Seth jones just signed for around 5 million and also Lucic is going to have an opportunity to play alongside Mcdavid, he wants to be here.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I think it's safe to say all of Lucic, Stamkos, Okposo, Brouwer, Ladd, Eriksson, and Demers' new contracts will be regrettable in 5 years.

Edit forgot Russell.

Last edited:

Group Chat Legend*

First off i have a hard time seeing Demers getting 5 million dollars per season especially when somebody like Seth jones just signed for around 5 million and also Lucic is going to have an opportunity to play alongside Mcdavid, he wants to be here.

Seth nones was eating up RFA years while Demers is 28, and Lucic doesn't care abour McDavid he is going from sunny beautiful LA to the tundra of Edmonton, you think he is going to take a paycut AND listen to his wife whine about it?

Youre imagination runs wild, at least having an imagination is a good thing. Some dont.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Lucic. He's already got a lot of mileage on him and he's been fortunate to be relatively injury-free. But his run over everything playing-style will catch up to him soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see a major drop in his production within the next two years and whoever signs him will be disappointed by his numbers next season.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Every big contract will probably come back to bite the teams in some form or fashion. It's tough to not get involved in the craziness when you're a GM/owner. Which is why players wanted free agency to begin with. The talent can be so enticing, because it's right there, and all you have to do is get the guy to sign his name.

Everything can fit for that first year. The new big name, the excitement of the unknown, the promise of that next season. It's only when that big contract guy stops producing, or blocks you from getting or keeping another player, that the hangover begins. You couldn't not go to the party though. Who wants to sit at home quietly on a Saturday night by themselves? Sure, you save some money, you don't have to deal with too many potential consequences, but that's boring.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I can see where people are coming from with Lucic, but Demers?

He would need to be up over 7M to be the 'Worst UFA contract of 2016.' Nobody is going to offer him that.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Seth nones was eating up RFA years while Demers is 28, and Lucic doesn't care abour McDavid he is going from sunny beautiful LA to the tundra of Edmonton, you think he is going to take a paycut AND listen to his wife whine about it?

Youre imagination runs wild, at least having an imagination is a good thing. Some dont.

Demers has never broke 30 points. Time will tell, i remember when people expected Mark Fayne to get 5 million, Dougie Hamilton was supposed to get 8 million Anton Stralman was supposed to sign for 6 million and Sekera was supposed to get 7 million. HF is historically bad at predicting contract values. Edmonton is very attractive to free agents at the moment, Lucic i think would be willing to take a paycut especially if the oilers offer a long term deal.

EDIT: he did get 34 points one year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad