Pre-Game Talk: The Wild invade Ottawa, Tues. 7:00 pm on TSN

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Honestly, they are not terrible. They are just weak willed. I am quite disappointed with Duchene, I was expecting more for what we traded to get him. If he walks away from Ottawa I am going to troll him on Twitter for a year.

He could always just block you.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I really never cared about physical play and think it's vastly overrated, but even by my standards... watching this season I can't get over how soft this team is.

Reactions: coladin

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Team has no grit and have mostly given up.
Only bright spot was watching Chabot skate and move the puck. He’s gonna be real good.
Team needs a major overhaul, hopefully starting from the top. It’s gonna get real ugly otherwise.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
It's sad watching this team try to deal with a cycle. Big, strong opponents can whatever they want down low.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Team has no grit and have mostly given up.
Only bright spot was watching Chabot skate and move the puck. He’s gonna be real good.
Team needs a major overhaul, hopefully starting from the top. It’s gonna get real ugly otherwise.

Yup. I genuinely believe, unless we see a change in ownership, this team is headed for an Edmonton like decade of darkness.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Team was soft last year with Neil and Boro in the lineup. You simply can't make a team tough by adding a few token tough guys. It has to come from within every player on the roster. That doesn't necessarily mean guys need to drop the gloves and fight or throw out hits every shift....it means guys need to forecheck consistently, battle in the dirty areas of the ice, make a point of giving that extra effort when soft players would have a letdown (aka, right after a goal against, or poor penalty call, etc). We have no swagger on the team.

Reactions: God Says No

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There were at least two goals that Minnesota scored, and I think there were more, where the Wild had extended zone time and eventually just funneled the puck back to the point for the screened goal.

It was frustrating to watch from the stands because there was this air of inevitability about it.

I thought Andy actually wasn't that bad (at least compared to previous games) but our in-zone puck pressure and coverage was brutal. Lazy, just following players around.

Reactions: Alex1234

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Team was soft last year with Neil and Boro in the lineup. You simply can't make a team tough by adding a few token tough guys. It has to come from within every player on the roster. That doesn't necessarily mean guys need to drop the gloves and fight or throw out hits every shift....it means guys need to forecheck consistently, battle in the dirty areas of the ice, make a point of giving that extra effort when soft players would have a letdown (aka, right after a goal against, or poor penalty call, etc). We have no swagger on the team.

I disagree. This team with Methot and Boro looks totally different. They aren't skilled, but they allow the rest of the guys to play the system by taking guys off of pucks in the middle and home end of the ice and setting up the counter-offense.

Replacing Methot with old Oduya has a huge impact on how we play. I agree the team as a whole could play more physical, but having two tough LDs like those two to play along with EK, Claesson, Wideman or Chabot is essential imo.

Reactions: Jorge Garcia

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Funny yet sad that Vegas came in and picked up others teams cast offs and has put together a stronger defense in their first year than we have had in our last 10?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Funny yet sad that Vegas came in and picked up others teams cast offs and has put together a stronger defense in their first year than we have had in our last 10?
They’re playing on a high. That team will be terrible next year . Just like Leicester in soccer.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Have to see I guess, everyone thought they would be bad this season as well, maybe the experts aren't as smart as they or we think they are.
Agreed. But I would say, and I will get flamed for this, that Ottawa would easily beat them in a playoff series right now

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That's exactly my point though. How is it a "stat-padding goal"? Do you know what that means? His goal gave the team a better chance to win the game. It's not a stupid empty net or a goal with 3 seconds left down 3 goals. I just don't usually call players out right after they score a goal like Brass did.
No one is making fun of brassard for scoring. I would never hold scoring by against a player. But don't act like it was an important goal. He took a pass. Shot it. It went in. GReat. But it was a stat padder. He got called out right after the goal because Its his first goal in how many games?

He's playing poorly. Just because he's playing poorly though doesn't mean he isn't allowed some nice plays here and there. Nice shot. Gotta say. Doesn't take away from his poor play.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yes good on you to mention that Boudreau has a good regular season success because his playoff record ain't worth a bag of ****.
Heck, Boucher has had more success in the post-season then Boudreau!
Right getting his teams to game 7s where they mostly always dominate and his goalies can't stop a puck.

He can't get out there and stop the pucks and shoot them. He's an amazing coach.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Coyle seemed to have his way with us on the cycle. We just couldn't handle him in the DZ. That whole line we just didn't have an answer for. 3 big forwards that were just able to shrug off our small checking line.

Smith Pageau and Pyatt could work fine against skilled guys, but they just can't handle three 220 pound forwards cycling the puck.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Ceci and Phaneuf -3 and -4...
Chabot 0
You know the guy with flashy moves in the Ozone that get turned over sometimes but rarelly cost any goal

I know he plays less minutes then the 2 other but still...

Phaneuf and Ceci are a mess in the Dzone

Its like they put 6 hours to prepare the slot with decorations and a good meal for the opponents to have fun and stay in front of our goalie for as long as they want

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad