Online Series: The Wheel of Time (Prime Video, Nov 22)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's only 3 episodes but I thought it was a strong introduction. We see all the main characters. We understand where they will end up - at least in the short run- and we have a decent idea of what is trying to get to them.

They've covered a lot of ground in 3 episodes all things considered.

In terms of Game of Thrones comparisons it's premature. The first 3 episodes of Game of Thrones weren't spectacular or a masterpiece on their own or something. The key is more how it tells a story over multiple seasons (and built a massive audience doing that over 7 seasons)

And for Wheel of Time hopefully Amazon hangs on for 3 or more seasons and we can get a fairer comparison at that point when looking at how the crew adapted the book and told its story.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Watched the first 3 episodes this weekend. I read the books a few years ago and absolutely loved them.

I think the first 30 minutes of the show was not great. The episodes felt heavy-handed and on the nose in a lot of scenes. I think they are struggling with trying to provide exposition while making it seems natural. I think they would have been better just letting showwatchers be in the dark about some things until a few episodes down the line when it can be explained naturally. I also worry that the showmakers are trying to hard to push "girl-power" narrative rather than just showing naturally through the plot that is where a lot of power lies. I hope they explain the difference between Saidin/Saidar rather than the "men shouldn't use this power, they'll dirty it" line we got in the first scene of the show.

The scene in Wintersnight where an all female group of villagers takes down a Trolloc felt as cheesy as the Avengers scene where all the woman Avengers group up at the finale of Endgame

I think things got a lot better in episodes 2 & 3 as the show got its legs. A scene between Moraine & Rand in episode 2 (I think?) showed me that the guy cast as Rand was an excellent choice and I cannot wait to see him a few seasons from now.

Definitely doesn't have the quality of production value of Game of Thrones, but I think its a really good start and hopefully closes out strong.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I hope they explain the difference between Saidin/Saidar rather than the "men shouldn't use this power, they'll dirty it" line we got in the first scene of the show.

I think they did a pretty good (if obvious) job of it in an early scene in terms of Egwene fighting the river before giving up and submitting to the power of the current.

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I think they did a pretty good (if obvious) job of it in an early scene in terms of Egwene fighting the river before giving up and submitting to the power of the current.
Yes, I liked that and I think they handled it well. I more meant that the early scene with Liandrin, she made a comment about how men aren't meant to use the power and they will make it unclean. I very much hope they explain that men can't use Saidar, and them using Saidin doesn't make it unclean (its already unclean). I saw that scene and was worried they were going to remove Saidin/Saidar completely and just make it one power that is easier for show-watchers to understand. I imagine by the end of the season we should know exactly how they intend to handle it.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I struggle to understand Amazon's decision to give this only 8 episodes instead of 10. If they want this to be their GoT, then give the producers the resources to make that happen. As I've understood it they have invested quite a lot of money into this, so why constrain them with a shorter season? Time is extremely precious in these types of series imo, far more so than how much money you have to use for fancy setting or special effects. You have to let the story breathe a little.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think what you're getting at is that's 'Roose Bolton' as Rand Al'Thor's dad.
I'm not familiar with the actor's full body of work but it was cool to see the range of being an excellent villain in GoT to being, for my money, the most warm and likable character in the first three episodes. I hope he wasn't limited to just one episode.

Reactions: Make

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I struggle to understand Amazon's decision to give this only 8 episodes instead of 10. If they want this to be their GoT, then give the producers the resources to make that happen. As I've understood it they have invested quite a lot of money into this, so why constrain them with a shorter season? Time is extremely precious in these types of series imo, far more so than how much money you have to use for fancy setting or special effects. You have to let the story breathe a little.
6-8 episodes seems to be becoming the standard for big budget series.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm not familiar with the actor's full body of work but it was cool to see the range of being an excellent villain in GoT to being, for my money, the most warm and likable character in the first three episodes. I hope he wasn't limited to just one episode.

He's good in pretty much everything I've seen him in, and I think was a good fit for Tam. I really liked the castings for him, Moiraine, and Lan (even though admittedly he looks a lot different than I pictured him reading the books). I was less enthusiastic about Rand, Perrin, and Mat, but admittedly I've only seen the first episode, so we'll see how the rest of the season goes.

Reactions: HanSolo

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Me watching the first episode just now:

"What's a trolloc?"

One minute later...

"Ohhhh... that must be a trolloc."

Also, the girl dumps her boyfriend for her girlfriend, but then runs back into his arms after her girlfriend is dragged off. Typical.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Really liked the first 3 episodes, really does look like Amazon didn't skip for sets and CGI, etc.

"What's a trolloc?"

One minute later...

Also, the girl dumps her boyfriend for her girlfriend, but then runs back into his arms after her girlfriend is dragged off. Typical.

Huh what gf left for bf?

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Really liked the first 3 episodes, really does look like Amazon didn't skip for sets and CGI, etc.

Huh what gf left for bf?
Pretty sure they're refering to
Egwene telling Rand they were through so she could train as a Wisdom under Nynaeve, and then going back to Rand after Nynaeve is taken and they are fleeing Two Rivers.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Pretty sure they're refering to
Egwene telling Rand they were through so she could train as a Wisdom under Nynaeve, and then going back to Rand after Nynaeve is taken and they are fleeing Two Rivers.
That's what I thought but don't get the whole gf thing when it was about training yada yada.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

"What's a trolloc?"

One minute later...

I still haven't watched the opener yet so only have the trailer to go by, but that's one thing where I feel like I'm the only one who thinks Jordan overdid it. They're supposed to be the 'orcs' of the series, but he made them was too terrifying as they're supposed to be like 8-10 feet tall. That's just way to terrifying, I don't see how human armies could possibly stand up against them.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Why because no sexy time and boobs? The violence is pretty much R level in the old movie rating system.

It currently is hyper-focused on your prototypical cast of attractive young people that is consistent with a lot of young adult franchises (e.g. Twilight, Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Harry Potter etc.).

Game of Thrones had its share of young protagonists but this was fairly well balanced with a large number of older authority figures (Eddard, Catelyn, Littlefinger, Tywin, Tyrion, Cersei,etc. etc.) whereas right now there's Moiraine and Lan who are like camp counsellors shepherding them around.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It currently is focused on your prototypical cast of attractive young people that is consistent with a lot of young adult franchises (e.g. Twilight, Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Harry Potter etc.).

Game of Thrones had its share of young protagonists but this was fairly well balanced with a larger number of older authority figures, whereas right now there's Moiraine and Lan who are like camp counsellors shepherding them around.
True but that is like the novels...though I had only read The Great Hunt many moons ago but just ordered and received New Spring which I am told is a prequel that should be read before the first real book of the series. I mean Jordan didn't write this as a young adult novel like the shimmering vampire one or the Hunger Games.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
True but that is like the novels...though I had only read The Great Hunt many moons ago but just ordered and received New Spring which I am told is a prequel that should be read before the first real book of the series. I mean Jordan didn't write this as a young adult novel like the shimmering vampire one or the Hunger Games.

I mean, GoT is also focused on young protagonists as well for the most part (e.g. the Stark children, Daenarys), it's just that there's a bit more balance in the early going.

Obviously the WoT crew is going to interact with the larger world and with authority figures as the story progresses, and this should help balance things out a bit.

Reactions: beowulf

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I think holding the show to the standard of Game of Thrones is just folly in itself. Despite the bad last two seasons, I feel like Game of Thrones is a once-in-a-decade type of show in terms of quality and adaptation (similar to how LoTR is for fantasy movies). I think if that is the bar set for WoT to match, you have nowhere to go besides disappointment.

Reactions: beowulf

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Season 2 is already confirmed. The Wheel of Time: viewers are saying the same thing following its release

Seems even long time fans of the books like the series including some of the changes from the books.

One person tweeted: "#TheWheelOfTime is becoming the new talk of the town. It totally deserves it. The world-building is so great, and I love how it focuses on so many characters. The magic sequences were absolutely amazing," while another added: "I love everything about the show, I can't believe the quality, the characters, the set-ups it's AMAZING."
A third person agreed, writing: "#TheWheelOfTime is ESCAPISM at its finest. It’s just so well done."
The new Amazon Prime series is based on Robert Jordan's novel series of the same name, and some fans have noticed the slight changes in the television adaptation from the series. One person tweeted: "Really enjoying #TheWheelOfTime show so far. I love the whole book series. So far, I think I see why they've made the changes from the books that they have, and I'm fine with those. Looking forward to the next episodes and hopefully seeing the show all the way to the Last Battle," while another added: "As someone who has been living with these books as a HUGE part of my life for 30 years, I can say in all honesty... I love it. I love them. I understand the changes. I'm invested. I want more."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad