Confirmed with Link: The Washington Capitals and head coach Peter Laviolette have agreed to mutually part ways. (UPD 4/17: Forsythe and McCarthy gone too)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I wish Laviolette the best because he seems like a nice enough dude. But some of his personnel decisions hurt the team quite a bit in the medium and long-term.

I wonder where he’s going to go next. I don’t see an obvious opening that makes sense except maybe Calgary if Sutter is fired but I don’t know if he’d be interested in that position.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This was more going back to the Trotz thing, which thinking Ted being cheap may be more a philosophical debate if anything, but also how he's insisted on keeping assistants between coaches. But it's neither here nor there.

I'd also agree with you largely on everything else, though I just cannot imagine this front office having the "courage" to unload Oshie. Not as long as he's willing to go, and he's flat out said he's willing to go.

I'm also full on belief that it's basically Carbery's to decline right now. Fit's just about every single one of Ted's prior MO's while also being a true hot commodity hire.

I don't know much about Carbery but I'll take your word for it. I'm pretty sure GMBM and Ted and Dick Patrick have a very short list of candidates and it's been that way for at least a few months. They knew what the end of this season would look like if things went the wrong direction and have had plenty of time to prepare for this.

I love Oshie. He's one of my favorite Caps of all time. But his injuries are a real problem. I've argued against trading him because it wasn't the right time and he's been a playoff warrior. Now that they've shown they're on a downward trend they need to rebuild or retool a bit, and they can't afford to stash Oshie in the press box for half the year and hope to make the playoffs. Maybe before, but not anymore.

Kuzy is just done. If "mutually part ways" were an option with him it should be done already. LOL

I wish Laviolette the best because he seems like a nice enough dude. But some of his personnel decisions hurt the team quite a bit in the medium and long-term.

I wonder where he’s going to go next. I don’t see an obvious opening that makes sense except maybe Calgary if Sutter is fired but I don’t know if he’d be interested in that position.

Anaheim? Nowhere to go but up.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I never liked the hire in the first place. I wish they would not have wasted the final prime years of OV but at least we can move on now.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Carberry is my preferred option, but I wouldn't mind Vellucci. Mixed feelings on Brunette. Don't want Halpern until he has some head coaching experience (even at lower levels he's only been an assistant).

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Someone mentioned Brunette in the other thread. I think that makes a lot of sense, too. Ticks off a lot of boxes.

I could see this. I imagine they’ll want a dude who emphasizes a modern offense and his stints with Florida and NJ the past two seasons have been impressive.

He also straddles a nice line between fresh blood and experienced. Also a former Caps player.

Only big downside is that I thought he got outcoached last postseason but I guess cross that bridge when they get there again.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I could see this. I imagine they’ll want a dude who emphasizes a modern offense and his stints with Florida and NJ the past two seasons have been impressive.

He also straddles a nice line between fresh blood and experienced. Also a former Caps player.

Only big downside is that I thought he got outcoached last postseason but I guess cross that bridge when they get there again.
I also like that Brunette has actually been an NHL HC, albeit briefly. Agree about the playoffs, but it was his first bite at that apple, so hopefully some lessons were learned. In addition to the balance of new/experienced, he's also got a nice balance of modern offense as you say and perspective on the defensive schemes of the past. Could be a good fit.

Carbery is super interesting, but I do worry a bit given our track record with rookie coaches. Still, he's the homegrown talent and so it makes some sense.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Carberry also makes too much sense, he might actually be attractive to Anaheim as well. He’s well recognized as one in the next tier of head coaches, not just for Washington…

Carberry got Toronto to the top of the league with their powerplay ranking. Yes they have far greater talent but also were pretty mid in that regard before he showed up. So if our recipe for success is gonna come from there, he’s one to lead the ship. Add that to prior head coaching experience and NHL assistant experience and prior org ties, he’s the guy

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I’d imagine Carbery is towards their top targets anyways. Familiar with some of the players, the organization, former AHL coach of the year (and signed an extension with the bears before leaving for toronto, so we had at least some interest in him before he left.) Players also loved him in Hershey, although hard to find a player who wont say they don’t enjoy their coach publicly. I’d pleasantly enjoy his hiring, but am well aware that we definitely aren’t the only team seeking his services and could be weary of a first year nhl HC in Ovi’s last years.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Carberry also has had success as a head coach in ECHL and AHL though so I don’t really worry about the Rookie HC factor, he knows how to run a team. And he’s also been an NHL assistant now so he knows the show. That’s good enough for me

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hopefully Tampa knocks out the Leafs so we can start negotiating with Carberry ASAP and don't lose out on the coaching carousel (plus it helps avoid the Halpern mistake if Tampa is still playing ;) ).

Reactions: John Price

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010

I see other teams have so much talent like Adam Fox and even the Devils with the Hughes brothers

years of success have prevented us from having young superstars like that

Sometimes quality youth comes from trading vets with value. Bye Seth Jones, hello Adam Boqvist. And others. High picks aren't required to keep the pipeline flowing. [not meant to suggest boqvist is on a level with fox or hughes]

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Who kept this roster together the last 5 years, giving out legacy contracts and pissy away value?

5sVj51c.png

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Who kept this roster together the last 5 years, giving out legacy contracts and pissy away value?
Laviolette had youth at his disposal, he refused to use it. The vets looked just as worn out at the end of last year.

Laviolette plays vets, into the ground to some extent. He was a major problem.

Reactions: Hivemind

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Hopefully Tampa knocks out the Leafs so we can start negotiating with Carberry ASAP and don't lose out on the coaching carousel (plus it helps avoid the Halpern mistake if Tampa is still playing ;) ).
If Tampa knocks them out too quickly, leafs might be looking for a new coach themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00