Confirmed with Link: The Washington Capitals and head coach Peter Laviolette have agreed to mutually part ways. (UPD 4/17: Forsythe and McCarthy gone too)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Laviolette had youth at his disposal, he refused to use it. The vets looked just as worn out at the end of last year.

Laviolette plays vets, into the ground to some extent. He was a major problem.
Sorry bro, their “youth” is bottom tier. Lapierre needs time. Miro isn’t in the country. Iorio will be good in a couple years.

McMichael is the only argument but he’s still a plug at this point. He may eventually be solid 2nd liner.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Sorry bro, their “youth” is bottom tier. Lapierre needs time. Miro isn’t in the country. Iorio will be good in a couple years.

McMichael is the only argument but he’s still a plug at this point. He may eventually be solid 2nd liner.
Uhhhh.

Okay, but what happens when you play the same game with the guys who played instead? We saying Irwin and Hagelin were anything but bottom tier plugs? They sucked daily and didn't budge from the lineup because... why?

It's not as simple as having no other choice, his other choices weren't even worse than the choices he was sticking with.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
had to move on. Mutual or not. I am sure GMBM has been busy talking to people. Here is to getting the right guy. Carberry is good choice. So is Halpern. I prefer Carberry.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

So he wanted out.

I'll still stand by there was a good enough team here all year that he wasn't able to tap into.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The only right move. Thanks to Peter Laviolette.

Welcome back, Spencer Carbery.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Laviolette's a good coach, just not the right coach for this team.
I think he was, years ago. Now he's just okay, at best. He got the very little out of his lineup all three years and ran off some of the best young players.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Later Lavi! You might have worked out during the Reirden time when team was high from 2018. You've accomplished everything in game a coach can achieve and will remember you for your Olympic playing days. Farewell.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Still a bit hard to evaluate Lavi with those covid seasons in the mix and I hate hindsight 20/20 but yeah didn't work out. Lavi is a Pro he can read the tea leaves proactively moving on.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

So he wanted out.

I'll still stand by there was a good enough team here all year that he wasn't able to tap into.

eh, he knew they weren't bringing him back so he initiated it to get it over with. This is just PR choreography for both sides.

Reactions: usiel
Sep 19, 2008
I had heightened expectations as he was the best coach hired in the ovi era arguably and the only one that won a cup. he made more finals appearances than trotz did when he was green and just hired by the Caps.

On paper it was a slam dunk hire. I was very excited.

On the ice it wasn't. First and second years were fine but no playoff advancement. 2nd year honestly they got a bad matchup with Florida. I admit I was all in on Lavi and Cobra Kai year 1.

Third year everything just went off the rails. Was partially not his fault, Caps got cursed with an extraordinary amount of injuries, but the team just stunk at times and had these 6 game losing funks that kicked them out of any viable playoff positioning.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
If Lavi wanted out is that an indictment on management or the players? Or both?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad