Confirmed with Link: The Washington Capitals and head coach Peter Laviolette have agreed to mutually part ways. (UPD 4/17: Forsythe and McCarthy gone too)

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Least shocking news of the day.
I dunno, I guess I mistakenly believed the reporting about the team being 50/50 on Lavi and wanting to conduct a thorough exit interview process as being his words. And GMBM has basically always told us exactly what he was planning on doing.
Next coach will likely get 3yrs to coincide with Ovie's current contract.
Wonder if this will hurt them. Will a young up and comer like Carbery only want 3 years when another team could probably offer at least 4? Would a veteran coach accept only 3?

Ted's been cheap with coaching before.

Sep 19, 2008

Younger and faster. It's been the mantra for a while now, and this is a key piece in pursuit of that goal. Younger behind the bench and on the ice. Best to Lavi in his next endeavor.
I see other teams have so much talent like Adam Fox and even the Devils with the Hughes brothers

years of success have prevented us from having young superstars like that

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

I see other teams have so much talent like Adam Fox and even the Devils with the Hughes brothers

Yeah. That's kinda the way. I'm sure Rangers and Devils fans felt the same about the Caps for a lot of years. But to their credit the Front Office brain trust accepted reality this year before it was too late and are moving aggressively to reshape the team, even if they're not getting a Fox or a Hughes necessarily. I, for one, am excited to see what they can do and expect that Ovie will enjoy playing alongside some younger talent and hopefully in a more offensively creative system. Youth brings energy. Veterans bring wisdom. Could be a really nice mix if done right.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I dunno, I guess I mistakenly believed the reporting about the team being 50/50 on Lavi and wanting to conduct a thorough exit interview process as being his words. And GMBM has basically always told us exactly what he was planning on doing.

Wonder if this will hurt them. Will a young up and comer like Carbery only want 3 years when another team could probably offer at least 4? Would a veteran coach accept only 3?

Ted's been cheap with coaching before.

I think guys like Cassidy and Hanlon and Reirden and Boudreau were all "this seems like the best fit for what we're doing right now" hires in their minds. I don't know if they were being cheap. Maybe Oates and Hunter, too.

Trotz and Lavi were definitely "get a veteran to coach these veteran players in their primes" hires. But several of those players phased out of their primes during those periods.

Now they need someone who can manage whatever leftover veterans GMBM keeps around for the Reg Dunlop farewell tour, but also has a forward-thinking style that embraces youth and speed and prospect development.

It's a weird unicorn kind of situation. It would be easier to pick one of the two extremes but it would be a half-measure.

They have to trade Kuznetsov and recoup that salary. Their shittiness without Carlson has convinced me he needs to stay and just learn to not suck in the playoffs. Oshie's breakability can now be dealt with since the Lavi window and all other contracts have rolled over...they should consider moving him now that the season is over and it's a softer landing for all.

That leaves Ovie and Backy and Carlson to ride out the next 3yrs under a new coach, for as long as Nick's hip holds up.

I believe that's a fair compromise if they can find a coach that can keep those three happy and motivated while bringing along a newer, faster, edgier team.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I don't know if they were being cheap.
This was more going back to the Trotz thing, which thinking Ted being cheap may be more a philosophical debate if anything, but also how he's insisted on keeping assistants between coaches. But it's neither here nor there.

I'd also agree with you largely on everything else, though I just cannot imagine this front office having the "courage" to unload Oshie. Not as long as he's willing to go, and he's flat out said he's willing to go.

I'm also full on belief that it's basically Carbery's to decline right now. Fit's just about every single one of Ted's prior MO's while also being a true hot commodity hire.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

This isn't really true. They've had similar talent come up, though not at Fox's level probably, that they've just shipped off in favor of veterans.

I will say I'm not sure any of them would entirely qualify as superstars but that's always a bit of a nebulous title.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00