The Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He better bring a couple three guys with him...... My brother in law informed me today that he is done going to games this season......

There is a problem with "fans" who only support a team when they think the team will win.

In order to hold on to a franchise fans have to be willing to hang in there during the bad times and not just be great fans when a team is winning Division and Conference titles and going deep into the playoffs.

There's a term for this and it causes the loss of a lot of teams from a lot of cities, especially minor league teams in small markets.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
There is a problem with "fans" who only support a team when they think the team will win.

In order to hold on to a franchise fans have to be willing to hang in there during the bad times and not just be great fans when a team is winning Division and Conference titles and going deep into the playoffs.

There's a term for this and it causes the loss of a lot of teams from a lot of cities, especially minor league teams in small markets.

Exactly BG ... But he also told me he's not renewing next season. I have another person to take his seat next season, but we will be moving to a cheaper section.

The # of empty seats at games is alarming...... No way they sellout a playoff game.... And I expect season tickets sales to drop also... Unfortunately none of this is the comets organization fault, they are at the mercy of the Canucks......

Reactions: UticaHockey

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
If there is one thing about Benning it is he has worse tunnel vision than Brandon Sutter with the puck on a breakaway. Given the mess the Canucks are in he's probably unable to process the needs of Utica. I'm sure he cares, he's just single tasking in a multitasking job.

Well this summer other than the Sedins , there will be a lot less to do other than focus on depth for Utica... I can't imagine they will be a player for any big name free agents. They need to make room for the kids.......

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Exactly BG ... But he also told me he's not renewing next season. I have another person to take his seat next season, but we will be moving to a cheaper section.

The # of empty seats at games is alarming...... No way they sellout a playoff game.... And I expect season tickets sales to drop also... Unfortunately none of this is the comets organization fault, they are at the mercy of the Canucks......

I can relate. 4 seats for 48 years in the family. Dropped 2 of them yesterday, at $160 a seat. I don't pay for them, friends with money do. The guys with the other seats are talking about a lesser package, cheaper seats and less games. But I will no longer be involved.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Well this summer other than the Sedins , there will be a lot less to do other than focus on depth for Utica... I can't imagine they will be a player for any big name free agents. They need to make room for the kids.......

The only way the Canucks are going to put fans in the seats are if Juolevi Pettersson and Demko are playing. Dahlen could go either way, though he may have an AHL avoidance clause.

Lind Gadjovich Gaudette Palmu and this years 1st rounder could end up with either club, but more likely Utica.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

I've been waffling on it but finally made the decision to reduce the number of season tickets I purchase next year. It is getting harder to sell the extra seats on games that I don't need all of the tickets because the demand is much lower than the supply of extra tickets available. I think it is a combination of the excitement of going to a Comets game has worn off on the casual fans and the product on the ice is just awful to watch much too often for the knowledgeable fans. The sell out streak may be at 125 games but it's deceiving because 90% of the seats are season tickets and some times 1/4 of them do not show up. I expect a big drop in season ticket renewals for next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: go comets

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
He better bring a couple three guys with him...... My brother in law informed me today that he is done going to games this season......
The sadistic side of me would love to see a total collapse and blow a 22 point lead over 5th place that we had a couple weeks ago but Laval keeps losing too. I really have no interest in spending money on playoff tickets and I bet they won't allow season ticket holders to keep their seats by purchasing them one game at a time. We will be forced to buy them in game blocks and have any unused games after they are quickly eliminated applied to next season. I don't want that forced option.

Last edited:
Reactions: go comets

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The sadistic side of me would love to see a total collapse and blow a 22 point lead over 5th place that we had a couple weeks ago but Laval keeps losing too. I really have no interest in spending money on playoff tickets and I bet they won't allow season ticket holders to keep their seats buy purchasing them one game at a time. We will be forced to buy them in game blocks and have any unused games after they are quickly eliminated applied to next season. I don't want that forced option.
You will not be alone.. I'm not planning on keeping mine for the playoffs, should be able to get tickets at the box office anyway. The corporate tickets will be available as they don't usually buy playoff tickets....

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Missed game tonight due to unforeseen circumstances and missed Zilch on radio. Just saw on TheAHL.com the lost to Laval. Did score 2 goals, though. Demko 23 shots 19 saves, Rocket 3 for 6 on pp, Comets 0-4.

Had season tickets every year for pro team here since 1974.

Will not renew next year, miss too many Friday games. More alarming than not being to sell ours...we rarely did, we would attempt to give them away......we simply could not give them away. Hate seeing them unused.

I like the PTO's grit this year, especially on the heals of the most boring and uninspired team in history last season 2016-17. I like this team, like the coach.

Despise the Canucks.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Comets abysmal month continues. This group of forwards lacks any scoring punch what so ever. The work ethic is there, they out played the Rocket in the first period. Unfortunately the Laval snipers came through and the comets have no such players.....

I can honestly see this team losing pretty much every game the rest of this season, there is simply nothing left here.......

Demko continues to play less than stellar and that is not an option.... He has been struggling the past half dozen games or so. Continues to get beat high by AHL players, NHL guys will light him right up..... He's not ready...

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
3/16/18
Laval Rocket @ Utica Comets

Laval 4 Utica 2

Forwards:
Comrie/Chaput/Carcone
Arseneau/Hamilton/Bancks
Molino/Darcy/MacEwen
Camreanesi/Cassels/Cherniwchan

D-Pairs:
Sautner/Blujus
Wiercioch/Chatfield
Brisebois/Sifers

Goal - Demko

Darcy (5) from Wiercioch (21) and Chaput (19)
Cameranesi (3) from Darcy (17)

Demko 19/23
38GP, 97GA, 20-11-2-4, GAA/2.55, SV%/.918

SOG:
Laval 6 12 5 - 23
Utica 11 14 7 - 32

PP:
Laval 3/6
Utica 0/4

3 Stars:
1 - Chris Terry (Laval Rocket) 1G/2A
2 - Zachary Fucale (Laval Rocket) 30/32
3 - Cameron Darcy (Utica Comets (1G/1A)

Consecutive Sellout - #125

Man games lost to injury now at 398.

The Comets have now lost 8 of their last 9 GP.

They have been shutout in 3 of the 9.

The first game of this downfall was to Atlantic Division leader Lehigh Valley essentially 5-4 as they scored an ENG at the end of the game. That loss ended the Comets 16 game streak in which they achieved at least 1 point and stood alone in second place in the North Division. Sinse that pointy they have lost Archibald, Boucher, and Goldobin to the Cancucks and Holm was traded.
Over the next 8 games they lost 7 while playing against an assortment of the AHL's bottom 5 teams and they will play the league's worst team tonight in Belleville, who they have lost once to already on this streak.

In these last 8 games they have scored 11 Goals for a 1.38 GPG Avg. More noticeable is the fact that 7 of those goals came from players who have worn the letters PTO after their name and 2 were from the team's top goal scorer, Reid Boucher.

This is key to the currrent situation in that only 2 goals in the last 8 games have come off the sticks of the Vancouver prospects. These are the guys who by this time in the season should be stepping up and putting up significant numbers as the team pushes towards the playoffs. You would think over that 16 game streak these guys must have been lighting the lamp and have now gone cold. Well cold woildn't be the word for these guys. A deep freeze would be more like it and they were barely warm during the streak.

The Comets have played 29 games since January 1.

MacEwen - He is the best of the bunch. 9m goals in 57 GP, but has 31 points.
6 goals in the 29 GP and he also had 2 in 1 game on 1/24.

Carcone - 12 goals in 55 GP. 4 goals in his last 29 GP and 2 were in the same game on 2/21.

D'Aoust - 8 goals in 49 GP. His last goal was on 12/20.
He has gone 0/29GP since then.

Molino - 3 goals in 36 GP. He's only played 11 games in 2018 due to injury and has 1 goal. He is 2/25 for the rest.

Brisebois - "...is having a great year in Utica" according to Benning.
3 goals in 59GP and 2/29 since Jan 1.

Chatfield - Not a shred of offensive talent in this hard working kid.
0 goals in 47 GP.
I keep seeing questions as to why Benning drafted Kristoffer Gunnarsson since he has 0Pts in 46 GP in the SHL. Chatty has 5 assists.

Cassels - He's on the 3rd year of his ELC. Much better numbers than either of his other 3 seasons and he has 23 Pts this year which is more than double his best total of 11 last year.
6 goals in 56 GP. 4 goals in the last 29 GP. 2 goals in the other 27 GP.

LaBate - 6 goals in 39 GP. This guy has already been extended and will be up for another extension this summer. Not a good risk. Too injury prone.

Goldobin and Boucher are still considered prospects by many. Goldy still has a year on his contract and Boucher will be an RFA as will also be true of Chaput.
Boucher has played 45 games and has 25G/46 points.
Goldobin has only played 28 games, but he has 9g/21A/30Pts.
Chaput has played 43 games and has 12G/19A/31 Pts.
They have more than held up their end of the bargain, but they can't really be called prospects any longer. If not NHL players, then they have become the proverbial tweeners.

Last night the Comets played 5 vets with the return of Carter Bancks to the active status and Hamilton also came back from a short injury. Since Boucher is the only VE in the system 5 is the max # of vets the Comets can play. So, Dziurzynski sat that one out. If Megna is back soon (he's practicing with the team in the no contact red jersey, and Boucher is sent back after April 7th, the Comets will look at having to sit 2 vets every night just like at the beginning of the season when the 3 sitting was even higher with Archibald still on board.

Have to agree with "go comets" on Demko's play. I have posted before that he has never regained the same level of play he had before the All-Star game. The Comets success this season has been heavily on the shoulders of their keepers. I will say it again, the rest is of this season will completely depend on the strength of their goaltending.

The current team is hard working. You can't fault their effort, but it's comparable to sending your foot soldiers into battle with flintlock muskets to take on any enemy equipped with automatic weapons. This team has o players who can be called snipers. The majority have problems even controlling the puck let alone getting off a high percentage scoring chance. I wish shots taken were recorded in this league vs SOG, because the Comets miss many, many more shots than they put on the net.

Those who actually believe Jimbo is a real top level judge of talent should take a long, close look at the crop of signed players he has placed in Utica the past 3 seasons. All have had similar problems. They are poor puck handlers, they are not adept at giving or taking passes, their one on one board work is horrendous, they are inaccurate shooters, and they have to be some of the slowest skaters in pro hockey. Give them 2 or 3 steps leads at center ice and they will be caught form behind before they can muster any kind of threat. Molino was sent here with glowing plaudits as to his speed. He may be very fast straight ahead in a race, but if he has to carry the puck at the same time the speed is gone. He also cannot take a pass. He is also not strong on those fast skates and easily knocked off stride, off the puck, and often off his feet. I would not extend this guy another contract.

I have laid off what I really feel about Carcone until now. simply put this guy is another wasted contract. He can do nothing in traffic. He gives you one or 2 plays in a game that look like he can play hockey and the rest of the game is how did this guy get a contract. He will have to be reborn in order to become a NHL player.

If Benning sends the same guys back here next year, Molino, Carcone, D'Aoust, Cassels, LaBate, Laplante, and builds around them with the likes of Darcy, Megna, Bancks and Hamilton. MacEwen won't grow and Lind and Gadjovich will struggle all year long just like Mac has this year.. Developing players need good players to play with. Without them, the player's individual talents won't mean a damn. When Jim figures that out, his kids might get better. Exact same issue exists with his young D-men.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
3/16/18
Laval Rocket @ Utica Comets

Laval 4 Utica 2

Forwards:
Comrie/Chaput/Carcone
Arseneau/Hamilton/Bancks
Molino/Darcy/MacEwen
Camreanesi/Cassels/Cherniwchan

D-Pairs:
Sautner/Blujus
Wiercioch/Chatfield
Brisebois/Sifers

Goal - Demko

Darcy (5) from Wiercioch (21) and Chaput (19)
Cameranesi (3) from Darcy (17)

Demko 19/23
38GP, 97GA, 20-11-2-4, GAA/2.55, SV%/.918

SOG:
Laval 6 12 5 - 23
Utica 11 14 7 - 32

PP:
Laval 3/6
Utica 0/4

3 Stars:
1 - Chris Terry (Laval Rocket) 1G/2A
2 - Zachary Fucale (Laval Rocket) 30/32
3 - Cameron Darcy (Utica Comets (1G/1A)

Consecutive Sellout - #125

Man games lost to injury now at 398.

The Comets have now lost 8 of their last 9 GP.

They have been shutout in 3 of the 9.

The first game of this downfall was to Atlantic Division leader Lehigh Valley essentially 5-4 as they scored an ENG at the end of the game. That loss ended the Comets 16 game streak in which they achieved at least 1 point and stood alone in second place in the North Division. Sinse that pointy they have lost Archibald, Boucher, and Goldobin to the Cancucks and Holm was traded.
Over the next 8 games they lost 7 while playing against an assortment of the AHL's bottom 5 teams and they will play the league's worst team tonight in Belleville, who they have lost once to already on this streak.

In these last 8 games they have scored 11 Goals for a 1.38 GPG Avg. More noticeable is the fact that 7 of those goals came from players who have worn the letters PTO after their name and 2 were from the team's top goal scorer, Reid Boucher.

This is key to the currrent situation in that only 2 goals in the last 8 games have come off the sticks of the Vancouver prospects. These are the guys who by this time in the season should be stepping up and putting up significant numbers as the team pushes towards the playoffs. You would think over that 16 game streak these guys must have been lighting the lamp and have now gone cold. Well cold woildn't be the word for these guys. A deep freeze would be more like it and they were barely warm during the streak.

The Comets have played 29 games since January 1.

MacEwen - He is the best of the bunch. 9m goals in 57 GP, but has 31 points.
6 goals in the 29 GP and he also had 2 in 1 game on 1/24.

Carcone - 12 goals in 55 GP. 4 goals in his last 29 GP and 2 were in the same game on 2/21.

D'Aoust - 8 goals in 49 GP. His last goal was on 12/20.
He has gone 0/29GP since then.

Molino - 3 goals in 36 GP. He's only played 11 games in 2018 due to injury and has 1 goal. He is 2/25 for the rest.

Brisebois - "...is having a great year in Utica" according to Benning.
3 goals in 59GP and 2/29 since Jan 1.

Chatfield - Not a shred of offensive talent in this hard working kid.
0 goals in 47 GP.
I keep seeing questions as to why Benning drafted Kristoffer Gunnarsson since he has 0Pts in 46 GP in the SHL. Chatty has 5 assists.

Cassels - He's on the 3rd year of his ELC. Much better numbers than either of his other 3 seasons and he has 23 Pts this year which is more than double his best total of 11 last year.
6 goals in 56 GP. 4 goals in the last 29 GP. 2 goals in the other 27 GP.

LaBate - 6 goals in 39 GP. This guy has already been extended and will be up for another extension this summer. Not a good risk. Too injury prone.

Goldobin and Boucher are still considered prospects by many. Goldy still has a year on his contract and Boucher will be an RFA as will also be true of Chaput.
Boucher has played 45 games and has 25G/46 points.
Goldobin has only played 28 games, but he has 9g/21A/30Pts.
Chaput has played 43 games and has 12G/19A/31 Pts.
They have more than held up their end of the bargain, but they can't really be called prospects any longer. If not NHL players, then they have become the proverbial tweeners.

Last night the Comets played 5 vets with the return of Carter Bancks to the active status and Hamilton also came back from a short injury. Since Boucher is the only VE in the system 5 is the max # of vets the Comets can play. So, Dziurzynski sat that one out. If Megna is back soon (he's practicing with the team in the no contact red jersey, and Boucher is sent back after April 7th, the Comets will look at having to sit 2 vets every night just like at the beginning of the season when the 3 sitting was even higher with Archibald still on board.

Have to agree with "go comets" on Demko's play. I have posted before that he has never regained the same level of play he had before the All-Star game. The Comets success this season has been heavily on the shoulders of their keepers. I will say it again, the rest is of this season will completely depend on the strength of their goaltending.

The current team is hard working. You can't fault their effort, but it's comparable to sending your foot soldiers into battle with flintlock muskets to take on any enemy equipped with automatic weapons. This team has o players who can be called snipers. The majority have problems even controlling the puck let alone getting off a high percentage scoring chance. I wish shots taken were recorded in this league vs SOG, because the Comets miss many, many more shots than they put on the net.

Those who actually believe Jimbo is a real top level judge of talent should take a long, close look at the crop of signed players he has placed in Utica the past 3 seasons. All have had similar problems. They are poor puck handlers, they are not adept at giving or taking passes, their one on one board work is horrendous, they are inaccurate shooters, and they have to be some of the slowest skaters in pro hockey. Give them 2 or 3 steps leads at center ice and they will be caught form behind before they can muster any kind of threat. Molino was sent here with glowing plaudits as to his speed. He may be very fast straight ahead in a race, but if he has to carry the puck at the same time the speed is gone. He also cannot take a pass. He is also not strong on those fast skates and easily knocked off stride, off the puck, and often off his feet. I would not extend this guy another contract.

I have laid off what I really feel about Carcone until now. simply put this guy is another wasted contract. He can do nothing in traffic. He gives you one or 2 plays in a game that look like he can play hockey and the rest of the game is how did this guy get a contract. He will have to be reborn in order to become a NHL player.

If Benning sends the same guys back here next year, Molino, Carcone, D'Aoust, Cassels, LaBate, Laplante, and builds around them with the likes of Darcy, Megna, Bancks and Hamilton. MacEwen won't grow and Lind and Gadjovich will struggle all year long just like Mac has this year.. Developing players need good players to play with. Without them, the player's individual talents won't mean a damn. When Jim figures that out, his kids might get better. Exact same issue exists with his young D-men.

The team is basically at an ECHL level right now.. a complete house cleaning is in order for the forwards as most of them are completely useless....

Chaput, Macewen and Comrie would be the only 3 I would even bring back from last night's game... Goldobin will be back if not jettisoned over the summer....

I have a funny feeling Bancks will be back, but that just ties up a vet spot.
The Canucks need to use those vet spots for a goal scorer, a playmaking center and 2 defensman one pp guy and one nasty sob........ And use the last vet spot for someone that can win some effing faceoffs......

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
3/17/18
Utica Comets at Belleville Senators

Forwards:
Darcy/Chaput/MacEwen
Arseneau/Cassels/Cameranesi/
Carcone/Hamilton/Mcmaster
Molino/Cherniwchan/Bancks

D-Pairs:
Sautner/Blujus
Wiercioch/Chatfield
Brisebois/Sifers

Goal -

Scratches:
LTIR_
McEneny
Woods
Laplante

Injured-
LaBate
Megna
D'Aoust

Comrie - Ill. In bed at the hotel.

Healthy-
Demko
Dziurzynski
Lynch
Simonelli

Bachman stops a 3 on 1 less than 1 minute in.

Breakaway and the Sens score.

1-0 at 2:38.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Sooooo.. a team that struggles to score gives up a 3 on 1 and a breakaway in the opening minutes..... Interesteing approach to say the least.... But it is the Canucks......

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets looking like crap to start this one and the Sens have had all the chances.

Last place team in the AHL playing 17 players and a D-man up front.

Now, they score again.
2-0 at 8:57

This team is just flat dead.
Anybody who can skate will eat them up.
The first isn't even half gone.

The Sens only average 2.5 or so per game and give up almost 4 per game.

This period is all Sens getting premium chances from uncovered players. You have to wonder about the quit factor in some of these dolts.

Still cannot handle the puck. Missing passes, sending passes behind and forward out of reach. Misfiring, flubbing and whiffing all over the ice.

The Sens continue to find themselves unbothered in high % spots and only their own ineptitude has this only 2-0.

Sifers is offensively not there. The breakaway goal came off a pass to him at the point that bounced off his stick and Chlapik was gone.

TV TO 5:43 left in the first.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sifers 2 for cross checking on a guy who dumped the puck in. El Stupido.

As I said in my last post, these guys can't be the dressing put in Utica next year to fill out the roster to help the prospects develop. Sifers is actually signed. His game left him a couple years ago. He'll turn 36 next year. Some guys do just fine in the AHL at that age. Others can't do it in the A any more than they can do it in the NHL since the legs are simply gone. That's where I would put Sifers.

Penalty on the Sens to even things up.

Comets now a short PP.

It's just like last night. They cannot even gain entry to the offensive zone. It was boo inducing last night on 4 PPs.

Cherniwchan puts the Comets on the board off a rebound.

2-1

Have to wait and see if that was a PP or ES goal. Not a PP goal. It expired 7 seconds earlier.

Another PTO goal.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets back to the PP.

Blujus is given credit for the goal by AHL.com. Have to get this one sorted out.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

With all the losing I expect Jim will be even more focused on the Canucks and trying to get Kane and possibly Neal, JVR etc and any decent FA Dmen. I wish you guys luck, the Comets best hope is he succeeds in grabbiig his overpriced veteran UFAs, it might mean names like Gaudette and Dahlen go to the AHL rather than get used to fill NHL holes. From a Canucks PoV I'm praying Jim does not blow his cap on 6-7 years to 29-31yo veterans.

He's going to screw one of us.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Mac sends a shot on a net after a whistle for offsides was blown.

Very little action on this PP. Again can't get into the zone.

It really is pitiful that a pro team's PP cannot even move the puck well enough to gain entry and set up. Turnovers in the neutral zone on bad passes, turnovers at the blueline picking passes or worse getting stripped, dump it in and the other team just shoots it right back out, shoot wide and end up clearing it out themselves on the shot, shooting into the defender and it bounces right out and often results in a break, flubbing a pass enabling the defender to get into the flubber before he gain regain control. I can't even tell you all the ways they end up losing the puck while on a PP. They seem to be inventing new ways to kill their own PP.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Period ends with the score 2-1 Belleville.

SOG 13 -12 Comets. Go figure. Flipping or dumping it in on goal count as shots.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
With all the losing I expect Jim will be even more focused on the Canucks and trying to get Kane and possibly Neal, JVR etc and any decent FA Dmen. I wish you guys luck, the Comets best hope is he succeeds in grabbiig his overpriced veteran UFAs, it might mean names like Gaudette and Dahlen go to the AHL rather than get used to fill NHL holes. From a Canucks PoV I'm praying Jim does not blow his cap on 6-7 years to 29-31yo veterans.

He's going to screw one of us.

I'm pretty sure both fan bases will get screwed... He seems to be pretty consistent at that one....

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The comets goal was by Cherniwchan.

Period opens with the Comets on a short PP. First entry shot back out. Comets back in but the puck goes out of play. PP a few seconds left.
Carcone stripped and the puck is cleared.
Carcone now at the half boards and hemmed in, but Hamilton gets it and is tripped.

Back to the PP.

Pass at the blue line tipped out of play.

Comets win the draw and dump it in.

Wiercioch to Darcy and HE SCORES!

2-2.

Darcy with 2 points last night. The guy made the team out of camp on a---- yes, here it comes-------PTO.

Croosbar on a breakaway by the Sens.!!!!

HOW THE HELL DO THESE GUYS GIVE UP SO-O-O-O-O MANY BREAKAWAYS AND UNEVEN RUSHES?????

WAKE the **** up Cull! This can be fixed with some simple coaching. So "Coach 'em up."

The crossbar breakaway is getting a real long look on the replay by the refs. Want to take any bets before the verdict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad