The Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Pass it to Bulis has an article speculating on the players that will end up in Utica for the playoff run. He's more optimistic than many would be, I think, about the possibility of the European prospects ending up in the AHL at the end of the season. It would, however, be exciting if he turned out to be right.

The Paper Feature: What will the Utica Comets look like for the AHL playoffs?
How many of these players do you realistically believe will play in Utica this season?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Assuming your post is sincere, you are the one that is missing the point. Go find a post where the Utica fans complain about draftees getting ice time. And while you're at it, please list all the draftees that are playing for the Comets. If you go through that exercise, perhaps you will get the point.

I was trying to quote both timbermen and Pump n Dump, but it appears the multi-quote function didn't work for me this time.

Anywhere, here is the list of Canucks' draft picks presently on the Utica roster, with their draft position and present age.

Cole Cassels 2013-3 22 YO
Guillaume Brisebois 2015-3 20 YO
Joe Labate (injured) 2011-4 24 YO
Thatcher Demko 2014-2 22 YO

The professional tryouts have not stood in the way of any of these four players getting ice time. Where timbermen says in #1793 above "... the AHL is a development league ... That's the reason draftees get ice time over career minor leaguers,they need to develop" it is assuming the draftees aren't getting ice time over the pto's, but that isn't the case. It is just that there are so few draftees to fill in the AHL roster. Some are playing in Europe, some in Vancouver, some in the NCAA, some in junior, but the number of Canuck drafed players on the Comets' roster is really, really low.

That's one of the things you see the Comets' fans bring up. The Canucks neither attempt to build a winning AHL roster nor use their AHL affiliate as the main way to develop their players, which leaves them having to play a bunch of retreads, undrafted free agents unlikely to have NHL potential and ECHL players signed to AHL pto contracts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bad Goalie

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
How many of these players do you realistically believe will play in Utica this season?

I don't have a strong opinion. I'd guess that if Pettersson does in fact play in the World Cup, he won't be in Utica as well, but that's just a guess. I think there's a good chance that several of the prospects in NA will spend time with the Comets at the end of the season. Dahlen, Juolevi, and Palmu? No idea, really. What do you think?

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
You really don't like the canucks much huh.

You also had Virtanen down there. You had to have known Beoser would not be going there. You had Gaunce as well. Boucher was down there.

It sucks the amount of injuries the parent club has had, but, at the end of the day they have to pull players from Utica....they can't just go sign more players to come in.

Hopefully with how some of our latest draft picks have been doing you get more players there, however I suspect a few might not spend much time there.
Gaunce? Big deal....laziest player I've seen in 50 years here.

I liked Jake but watched him for a whole season. Most nights he was difficult to watch.

But I get your point, I simply can't stand the way the Canucks construct THE TEAM THEY OWN IN THE AHL.

Also, the marshmallows up there are so soft, Vancouver is the softest team in the history of professional sports.

Boucher not a draft pick, glad to have him but he certainly isn't a prospect.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Above I copied the Forward and Defense combos Bulis put in his article. Post #1797 and 1798.

1.) Pettersson will not be here.

2.) Zach MacEwen has not played center for the Comets. He's taken a couple draws, but that's been as close to a center he's been. He's got enough problems playing the RW.

3.) If these other guys show up, Molino and D'Aoust and maybe Carcone come out of the lineup. Motte and Dahlen go in for D'Aoust and Molino. That is simple logic.

4.) Juolevi goes into the top 6. Sifers might be the odd man out but it should be one of Brisebois or Chatfield. Both rookies in the lineup weakens the whole defense.

5.) Boucher gets waived and comes down. If he is claimed, so be it. The Canucks don't count on him anyways.

(Do the Canucks get first grabs if a claiming team tries to waive him next season?)

The lineup would be:

Forwards:
Goldobin/Chaput/Boucher
Dahlen/Gaudette/MacEwen
Megna-Carcone/Motte/Lind
Comrie-Gadjovich/Hamilton/Bancks-Palmu

If Megna is healthy he bumps out Carcone and Carcone battles it out with the 4 wingers on the 4th line for a spot.

Darcy - These guys are reserves
LaBate
Dziurzynski
Cameranesi
Cherniwchan
D'Aoust
Molino

D-Pairs:
Sautner/Blujus
Wiercioch/Juolevi
Brisebois/Chatfield/Sifers
Mix 'em up, but that's all there is and it isn't exactly strong.

What do I actually see?
Motte and Goldobin will be here.
Palmu should be here.
Benning won't wave Boucher.
Dahlen won't come over.
Gaudette will be eliminated before the final 4 and Benning will burn off his 1st ELC year and he won't be eligible.
Lind and Gadjovich go deep in the JR playoffs and by the time they are available, the Comets are eliminated by the Marlies.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I don't have a strong opinion. I'd guess that if Pettersson does in fact play in the World Cup, he won't be in Utica as well, but that's just a guess. I think there's a good chance that several of the prospects in NA will spend time with the Comets at the end of the season. Dahlen, Juolevi, and Palmu? No idea, really. What do you think?
I think the Comets will be such a smoldering dumpster fire by the last week of the season that they won't bother sending any of the Euros here. I can't honestly see the Comets winning more than 2 or 3 games the rest of the way. They have just one win in the last eight games and that was a stretch of 7 of 8 against teams lower in the standings then themselves. Now most of the remaining games are against better opponents.

They might get a couple players from the CHL if their season ends before the Comets but even then a player like Lind will likely be still playing after the Comets are quickly eliminated from the playoffs. It kills me that Ryan Johnson went on the radio recently and stated how important it was for the prospects in the AHL to experience a long tough playoff run and then did nothing to help get the team get there. The worst thing that happened was the points streak in January and early February because it made too many people including Vancouver management believe this team was going deep in the playoffs even if they took a couple pieces from it.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
I think the Comets will be such a smoldering dumpster fire by the last week of the season that they won't bother sending any of the Euros here. I can't honestly see the Comets winning more than 2 or 3 games the rest of the way. They have just one win in the last eight games and that was a stretch of 7 of 8 against teams lower in the standings then themselves. Now most of the remaining games are against better opponents.

They might get a couple players from the CHL if their season ends before the Comets but even then a player like Lind will likely be still playing after the Comets are quickly eliminated from the playoffs. It kills me that Ryan Johnson went on the radio recently and stated how important it was for the prospects in the AHL to experience a long tough playoff run and then did nothing to help get the team get there. The worst thing that happened was the points streak in January and early February because it made too many people including Vancouver management believe this team was going deep in the playoffs even if they took a couple pieces from it.
The Comets are stuck in 4th no matter what. Laval is awful, the game Friday will be interesting, at least. Not exciting but interesting.

The thought of going to the Aud for these last 6 games makes me want to puke.

The Comets, like the Canucks, cannot score. The Comets, like the Canucks, are pathetic at home. Like Vancouver, they are soft as well. The PTO's gave it their all but I'm hoping for 1/2 dozen goals this weekend.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Between the Canucks and Comets...last nine games...8 goals for and shut out 5 times.

WOW, very excited for the future! Snipers Galore. Hopefully it will be a quick and painless playoff exit.

Meanwhile, another 50 loss year for the Canucks. Nothing on the farm at all except demko, who I truly believe will be ruined by Vancouver.
That could all change quick when you add in Gaudette,Lind,Gadjvick,(we'll be getting Peterson and Eugene Levi)J.Dahlin scored twice today for Timra in the ALL playoffs.I streamed it,he's a legit top level prospect,mark my words.He might make the Canucks out of training camp though.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

"it made too many people including Vancouver management believe this team was going deep in the playoffs even if they took a couple pieces from it."

You can add their own GM Johnson to that group. He has no idea what is actually going on here and what the actual talent level of each player is. Those in Vancouver haven't a clue. Benning keeps clamoring about what a great year Brisebois is having down in Utica. That in itself tells you how much he really knows about Utica's team that takes the ice every night.

As to thinking they wouldn't miss "a couple pieces" that was true in 14-15 and they didn't when Vancouver raided the cupboard late like they did this year. The Comets simply went on to clinch the Division and then Conference and finally just missed out on #1 overall in the AHL. Henning had prepared the depth to be able to withstand the loss of personnel.

This season Benning didn't know and didn't care. I have repeated several times that since henning left, there has not been one AHL playmaking center acquired in 3 seasons, no actual #1 D-man (weak facsimiles in Fedun, Billins, Robak who was signed while on a PTO with another AHL team because they were all that was left when Benning finally started to put together the Comets .They didn't have one this season either as HOLM was a PP QB but not a top notch defender and Wiercioich is in the same class as those already listed.), has never acquired an in season acquisiton to aid the Comets in a place of weakness which Henning did both seasons he was here, and finally traded players every season and never got an AHL replacement back for the players lost and they were very key members of the team. The only additions to the Comets roster were acquired by Pat Conacher from the ECHL and the AHL swap at the end of 15-16 that sent Jones and Fox to Charlotte for TJ Hensick. Would have been a great deal in December, but was too late to salvage what might have been since Shinkaruk and Jensen had been traded way earlier and his addition was too little too late.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
And this is exactly why young players should not be rushed into NHL lineups.....

McCann better for his stay in Springfield | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Think Benning got to read a copy of this?

You know Virtanen was doing this exact same stuff in Utica. The difference in the 2 may be what we noticed here. There was no shortage on the work side. Jake had a wicked shot. He just isn't the sharpest tack in the box. Smarts are a key piece to success in the game when the talent levels start to equal out.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Above I copied the Forward and Defense combos Bulis put in his article. Post #1797 and 1798.

1.) Pettersson will not be here.

2.) Zach MacEwen has not played center for the Comets. He's taken a couple draws, but that's been as close to a center he's been. He's got enough problems playing the RW.

3.) If these other guys show up, Molino and D'Aoust and maybe Carcone come out of the lineup. Motte and Dahlen go in for D'Aoust and Molino. That is simple logic.

4.) Juolevi goes into the top 6. Sifers might be the odd man out but it should be one of Brisebois or Chatfield. Both rookies in the lineup weakens the whole defense.

5.) Boucher gets waived and comes down. If he is claimed, so be it. The Canucks don't count on him anyways.

(Do the Canucks get first grabs if a claiming team tries to waive him next season?)

The lineup would be:

Forwards:
Goldobin/Chaput/Boucher
Dahlen/Gaudette/MacEwen
Megna-Carcone/Motte/Lind
Comrie-Gadjovich/Hamilton/Bancks-Palmu

If Megna is healthy he bumps out Carcone and Carcone battles it out with the 4 wingers on the 4th line for a spot.

Darcy - These guys are reserves
LaBate
Dziurzynski
Cameranesi
Cherniwchan
D'Aoust
Molino

D-Pairs:
Sautner/Blujus
Wiercioch/Juolevi
Brisebois/Chatfield/Sifers
Mix 'em up, but that's all there is and it isn't exactly strong.

What do I actually see?
Motte and Goldobin will be here.
Palmu should be here.
Benning won't wave Boucher.
Dahlen won't come over.
Gaudette will be eliminated before the final 4 and Benning will burn off his 1st ELC year and he won't be eligible.
Lind and Gadjovich go deep in the JR playoffs and by the time they are available, the Comets are eliminated by the Marlies.

If the NHL season is over I believe Boucher can just be sent down. No other team would be able to use him anyways as he is not eligible for the playoffs in the NHL.

Reactions: UticaHockey

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If the NHL season is over I believe Boucher can just be sent down. No other team would be able to use him anyways as he is not eligible for the playoffs in the NHL.

I think you are correct, but I read somewhere in these threads that he still had to be waived. Someone out there know exactly what the facts are on this one?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
None of the Euros will be coming to Utica the season. Time to stop including them in the calvary that's going to help us at the end of the year.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
None of the Euros will be coming to Utica the season. Time to stop including them in the calvary that's going to help us at the end of the year.

Like I just said in a different thread, Benning just tells people what he thinks they want to hear, but in actuality he has no idea what is going on with the guys in Europe. He has no control or even influence overany of them at all.

If the Comets were the Marlies and those guys were under Toronto management, prospects this highly regarded wouldn't have had to be considered for the AHL playoffs if their European seasons ended in time for them to get here. They would already have been Marlie regulars since October. They would have been given permission to play in the WJCs and then it would have been back to Ontario.

The Marlies are "real gud" right now. Could you imagine that squad with Dahlen, Juolevi and Pettersson as well.

Toronto doesn't put all the European kids in the AHL just the ones of highest promise. They expose them to the NA game young and then at the time most of the NA prospects can become pros, their European kids are NHL ready or the top of their AHL talent pool.

Notice that neither TO nor Tampa have any problems with their Russian players?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

So we get back what the Vancouver followers affectionately refer to as "Utica's AHL plugs" back for the weekend. Megna is still questionable dressed in red on Wednesday. I've seen that go both ways. Guys in red a couple days before a game and then dressed on game day and also dressed in red a couple of days before a game and still dressed in red a couple weeks later.

Have to wait either for an announcement (Birnell will likely have an article in tomorrow's OD) or look at who is on the ice come Friday. I have already said Bancks and Hamilton are assets, but they are only more apt to become goal scorers than Molino and Chatfield.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I think Benning is oblivious to what is going on with his own AHL team, how the He double hockey sticks is he gonna have a clue what his prospects halfway around the world are doing..... he has to wait till THEY tell him what they are doing....

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think Benning is oblivious to what is going on with his own AHL team, how the He double hockey sticks is he gonna have a clue what his prospects halfway around the world are doing..... he has to wait till THEY tell him what they are doing....
If there is one thing about Benning it is he has worse tunnel vision than Brandon Sutter with the puck on a breakaway. Given the mess the Canucks are in he's probably unable to process the needs of Utica. I'm sure he cares, he's just single tasking in a multitasking job.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If the Comets were the Marlies and those guys were under Toronto management, prospects this highly regarded wouldn't have had to be considered for the AHL playoffs if their European seasons ended in time for them to get here. They would already have been Marlie regulars since October. They would have been given permission to play in the WJCs and then it would have been back to Ontario.

And that's based on who? Austen Matthews? Mitch Marner? Carl Grundstrom?

Wait you're talking about Nylander who kept changing teams in Sweden?

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I personally think the only players added will be Lind, Gadjovich, Motte, Goldobin & Boucher. None of the Euro will come, if there is one guy coming is probably Dahlen.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Canucks / AHL Canucks owned franchise Utica Comets last 10 games combined: 8 goals, shut out 6 times. Let that sink in.
I'm excited for the future!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad