The Unwritten Rules of Hockey

nni

Dec 29, 2005
in warmups dont shoot at your goalies head. do not immeidately begin practicing your break away moves before the goalie is warmed up.

if you are starting the breakout and are the last man back, DO NOT circle back behind your own net, keep moving forward or dump it.

not every goal you score has to be a breakaway, pass the damn puck and play hockey.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
Any contact with my goalie means your gonna get real personal with me, mistake or not.

Your in the crease, I'm gonna try my hardest to put you on your ass.

If you want to drop the gloves, take off your faceguard/visor/helmet, nobody wants to blow open a knuckle on the side of a helmet.

Don't try to hurt the other guy, but don't be too gentle.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
If you quote Mighty Ducks or try to shoot a knucklepuck, everyone will think you're a newb.

If you quote Slapshot, everyone will think you're hilarious.

If you quote Mystery Alaska, everyone will think you're artsy.

If you quote Youngblood, no one will know what the hell you're talking about.

Haha, nicely done. I own Youngblood on dvd....:D

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
Any contact with my goalie means your gonna get real personal with me, mistake or not.

Your in the crease, I'm gonna try my hardest to put you on your ass.

If you want to drop the gloves, take off your faceguard/visor/helmet, nobody wants to blow open a knuckle on the side of a helmet.

Don't try to hurt the other guy, but don't be too gentle.

You'd hate me....:help:

broski

Jan 31, 2007
Blackstone Ma
I think the mirror visor looks sweet. I'd buy one just to have it! Maybe wear it a few times, but I wouldnt wear it every game. It would be really cool though to wear it a few times. But yea I agree about the 99 thing. Same thing with 66 or 68 or 87. No one else really wears those numbers. 8 and 19 and such are just normal numbers... but those odd high numbers are "taken"
add a 77 in there and i will agree with you fully:handclap:

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
I gotta laugh at some of these rules.
I'm not sure if this thread is just for pro hockey or competitive hockey, but as far as beer leagues go, everyone should relax and have fun.

I play in a pretty competitive mens league. We have guys that have actually played in the NHL, minor pro and about half have played some level of junior hockey.
However, even though it's pretty "serious" my main goal is to go out and have fun. I'm 32 and I seem to be one of the only people that realise I'm not playing in front of scouts (or anyone for that matter), and that standings don't mean squat because all the teams make the playoffs.

Some guys in the league don't even like it if you raise your hand after scoring a goal. I can't believe it. I raise my hand, or pump my fist every time I score (my arms will never have to worry about getting tired - ;)).

People need to relax and enjoy the game for what it is; a childs pastime. Have a coke and smile. There are quite a few people that, unfortunately, aren't physically or mentally healthy enough to play this game. Try not to take it too seriously. It's a game.

P.S. One of the only guys in the league that seems to share my outlook on the game is the one that actually played in the NHL. People who've never played pro want to be superstars so bad, they try to transform any league into their own NHL.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
This happened to me last night, so I'll add this one. My bench made sure we followed up lol.

Rule: If you're losing, and decide to say to the other bench "Call me a mother f-er one more time," expect at least 5 guys on the bench to call you that.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I gotta laugh at some of these rules.
I'm not sure if this thread is just for pro hockey or competitive hockey, but as far as beer leagues go, everyone should relax and have fun.

I play in a pretty competitive mens league. We have guys that have actually played in the NHL, minor pro and about half have played some level of junior hockey.
However, even though it's pretty "serious" my main goal is to go out and have fun. I'm 32 and I seem to be one of the only people that realise I'm not playing in front of scouts (or anyone for that matter), and that standings don't mean squat because all the teams make the playoffs.

Some guys in the league don't even like it if you raise your hand after scoring a goal. I can't believe it. I raise my hand, or pump my fist every time I score (my arms will never have to worry about getting tired - ;)).

People need to relax and enjoy the game for what it is; a childs pastime. Have a coke and smile. There are quite a few people that, unfortunately, aren't physically or mentally healthy enough to play this game. Try not to take it too seriously. It's a game.

P.S. One of the only guys in the league that seems to share my outlook on the game is the one that actually played in the NHL. People who've never played pro want to be superstars so bad, they try to transform any league into their own NHL.

Wow, people give you guff for celebrating a goal? I can understand pulling a Tie Domi riding a broomstick would be frowned upon, but raising arms/being psyched is poo poohed?

And I agree with playing beer league for the fun, comradery, exercise, etc. I love a clean, fun skate. But if somebody slashes me or takes a cheap shot, I'm getting them back no matter what. That's just how I am; play with respect, but don't be a jerkoff and not expect consequences for your actions.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Wow, people give you guff for celebrating a goal? I can understand pulling a Tie Domi riding a broomstick would be frowned upon, but raising arms/being psyched is poo poohed?

And I agree with playing beer league for the fun, comradery, exercise, etc. I love a clean, fun skate. But if somebody slashes me or takes a cheap shot, I'm getting them back no matter what. That's just how I am; play with respect, but don't be a jerkoff and not expect consequences for your actions.

Hahaha. Yeah, I wouldn't like that much either.
But unfortunately, it's true about the celebrating part. I can get away with it because I suck, but if you're one of the better players in the league it's frowned upon. Still don't know why.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006

Agreed.

Leeroy Jenkins

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Awesome rules, but I'd like to add just one more. If your a friend of someone on the team and are playing a game as a ringer, don't be the first guy on and last guy off the ice. If I payed $300 for my season, I sure as hell better be getting more ice time then a guy who hasn't payed jack ****.

fullmetal2405

Feb 3, 2007
Edison, New Jersey
I like the ones that protect goalies :D

I'd pretty much strongly agreewith these, especially: if you come within a foot or so of the crease, don't expect to be there long. (Yes, I get my share of roughing calls...)

And yeah, we hate it when you throw out your highlight reel moves for our first warmup shot.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
In warmups, don't shoot without looking and hit the goalie in the side of the head because he/she is squaring up to someone else to take a shot.

Yeah, I know, you'd think that would be a given...

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
In warmups, don't shoot without looking and hit the goalie in the side of the head because he/she is squaring up to someone else to take a shot.

This should be given, but no one seems to care about it. Wait until the goalie looks you in the eyes and gives you the nod!

Also. It is not funny to be hit by a hard puck in the back of one's legs when one is hammering down the net. Not much protection there...

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
This one kind of bothers me, not sure if I'm missing some rule. I hate during a pick up game when people grab your water and drink it without asking.....

No kidding. Ever heard of strep, or mono.....?

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

That ****ing pisses me off. I bring 2 Gatorade's for MYSLEF on the bench and in the middle of the game I see idiots opening and drinking it...im like, are you serious?

fullmetal2405

Feb 3, 2007
Edison, New Jersey

Yeah. Some people are just Pejorative Slured. I made sure my players know to wait to shoot until i look at you and point at you with my stick. I figure I'll keep it nice and obvious for them. You can really hurt a goalie like that. I've got a nasty bruise on my forearm cause a guy ripped a shot when I wasn't looking. And of course it hits the least padded part on my upper body.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
On the first couple of warmup shots, I try to hit the goalies pads to get their confidence up before I start to bring the heat. But that's just me, I've also seen dudes go Al MacInnis from the get go. It's probably the goalie's responsibility to speak up on how they like to be warmed up.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
easiest way to make it known that the guy isnt with the warm up program...skate out of net when they decide to come skating in to try and deke ya. Talk is cheap but actions speak. Shoot at me when I am not looking...expect me to watch for you to turn your back and return the fav. Last tiem someone did that it went off a post and right into the back of my knee when I was facing a shooter on the opposite side. On that same token I wont stand in the crease and turn my back. Go behind the net or to the corner so the shooters can keep warming up.

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Most people don't understand to not shoot high in warmups. But don't think most goalies I've played with care. And most goalies I've been with chat it up too.:dunno:

it drives me nuts when people take high shots on me in warmups, or come in to deek. warm-ups are just that. warm-ups. i like to get my legs moving, work up a bit of energy/adrenaline.

you can chat it up with me all you want, but it should be about hockey. I don't need to be thinking about you painting your living room when they're coming in on a 2 on 1

i also dont like it when people take slap shots from at or inside the circle. take em from the point. its warm ups. take low wrist shots from the middle to top of the circle, and low slapshots from the point

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
The first time i tried my Sakic curve the shot went a little higher than I was used to and i ended up hitting my goalie in the arm. He looked pissed cause I was the first person to take a shot haha, I apologized though. I keep em low on warmups.

Im not sure if this one has been said yet but,

if you're reffing and two guys are roughing it up....you cant just throw one out. Toss em both or don't toss em at all. Unless they jumped the guy from behind or it was blatantly obvious. But i seem to notice some people even talk their ways out of game misconducts where as the guys who don't say anything still get tossed.

TheSabre

Yeah! I always get mad when someone pulls on #87... Like they can ever achieve the greatness os Brashear!
I wear 87 because it's the year I was born. Sidney Crosby is exactly six weeks older than me. Would you (or anyone else, for that matter), knowing what I've just told you, still be angry at me if / when I step onto the ice / floor wearing 87?

I'm just curious here - I'm not trying to start a fight or anything.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
I wear 87 because it's the year I was born. Sidney Crosby is exactly six weeks older than me. Would you (or anyone else, for that matter), knowing what I've just told you, still be angry at me if / when I step onto the ice / floor wearing 87?

I'm just curious here - I'm not trying to start a fight or anything.

Nope. I was born in 88 but I don't wear that, damn you Lindros. A 99 I'd get pissed at, maybe even a 68 cause im in NY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad