WWE: The Undertaker Appreciation Thread

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thanksgiving 1990, a family friend was hosting and one of the older kids managed to order Survivor Series. 9 year old me got to see Ted DiBiase introduce a debuting Undertaker as a surprise partner.

Just kinda hit me that I saw Taker's first and (likely) last WWE match. I'm at that age now where some of my favorite athletes are retiring and I can distinctly recall their rookie seasons. Pretty much the same feelings with Taker now.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Thanksgiving 1990, a family friend was hosting and one of the older kids managed to order Survivor Series. 9 year old me got to see Ted DiBiase introduce a debuting Undertaker as a surprise partner.

Just kinda hit me that I saw Taker's first and (likely) last WWE match. I'm at that age now where some of my favorite athletes are retiring and I can distinctly recall their rookie seasons. Pretty much the same feelings with Taker now.

Remember that debut including Piper doing his best to ruin it.

No one could of guessed where he would go.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Can't be understated that he propped the company up in some dark times.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
One of the best matches I have ever seen was their hell in a cell match in 1997, WOW what a match I loved it!

Anything Taker did with Foley or Michaels was amazing.

Check out his two Mania matches with Shawn he had in the 2000s. The last one was Shawn's retirement match and they were both legit amazing.

Easily Taker's two best matches. Maybe Shawn's too.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Cool ending to an okay show...how do you not like Taker? That match moving to the end was a dead giveaway we were getting a sendoff.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Taker honestly deserves his own wing in the HOF.Or floor.Or building.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah my favorite match of all time is WM25 w/ HBK. Made me feel like a kid again. Taker deserves so much for his service. A true dedicated worker and WWF/E guy. Pretty impressive. And all along, he's never been selfish and always helped out other guys along the way.

Impressive career. Nobody can doubt that. GOAT career, if you ask me. I highly doubt anyone else could make that gimmick work for as long as he did.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Absolutely loved him as a kid from the moment he was introduced as the heel, fully-gimmicked Undertaker. Never disliked him, but didn't care much at all for the American Badass thing. Glad he went back to being more "The Undertaker" after that.

just the mere idea of a guy who bags up his opponents after matches, draws power from an urn and has a strange relationship with this ghostly fat guy named Paul Bearer (as if it couldn't be cliche enough) is probably the hokiest thing I have ever heard.

That sounds like the coolest thing ever, aside from how you described the Paul Bearer part :lol: On that note, can you imagine if they had Reigns put Taker in a bodybag after that? That could have been the most astonishing thing ever, and if everyody didn't hate him already they sure would now.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Absolutely loved him as a kid from the moment he was introduced as the heel, fully-gimmicked Undertaker. Never disliked him, but didn't care much at all for the American Badass thing. Glad he went back to being more "The Undertaker" after that.

My thoughts exactly.

"Ministry of Darkness" era 'Taker will always be my favourite. Although his iconic trench coat and hat look is/was badass as can be as well. :yo: :yo: :yo:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I was 9 when he debuted and at first he creeped me out always getting up, putting jobbers in body bags, and the way Paul Bearer and him spoke, plus he was feuding with Ultimate Warrior who was my childhood favorite and I was pretty pissed when he beat Hogan for the Title. So basically as a heel, he was doing his job pissing off kids :laugh:. I started liking him after The Bezerker tried to stab him with the sword. By the time the Attitude Era rolled around, he was the establishment.

I give him a lot of credit for sticking with the company through some lean times (93-95), not jumping ship to WCW, leading the locker room, and going 5 1/2 years without a title and not having an ego or complaining about it. He also slightly modified the character changing the gloves to purple, or even speaking a little more human during the Attitude Era, and then the few years he did as the BikerTaker which was basically Mark Calaway playing himself.

There were times I think we all took him for granted because like a Doctor Who, Star Trek, Niklas Lidstrom, or some band we all love, he was just thought of as always being there and he became just part of our lives. But anytime he was out longterm (WM X, late 99-mid 2000) it wasn't the same.

His dedication to the character was pretty amazing, for the first ten years, the fans knew barely anything about his real life, and besides the BikerTaker days, didn't give many interviews. Now that it's over, hopefully we get to see more of Mark Calway and especially his humor, like the whole Taker-Roony skit he did with Rock/Triple H/Booker T/Vince.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I was there live at WrestleMania 23 when he beat Batista for the World Heavyweight Title and it's one of my favorite wrestling moments ever. That entrance live is absolutely breathtaking.

I've complained about him a lot the past few years but unlike guys like Big Show, I never lost any respect for him. A true legend.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
What did Big Show do to lose respect? He's nothing but class.

The crying promos. The constant heel/face turns. The awful authority angle. Show is a yes-man, but I imagine that's why the fans can't stand him. Especially when he cries.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
In all due respect to Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, Rock, etc. The Undertaker was the greatest performer of all time. Hands down

No one could have portrayed that Taker character like Mean Mark.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
His jacket, hat and gloves were kept in the ring 30+ minutes after everyone left. No one wanted to touch that lol.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Appreciate him for sure. One of the all-time greats and one of my all-time favorites. I've got goosebumps thinking about his career and some of the classics.

He should have stopped several years ago though. The part-time gig and the booking nature of it made me start to resent him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad