The True Football (Not American)/Futbol/Soccer Thread: Part VI

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I guess my biggest gripe with the ozil discussion is why those same German NT fans who love to complain about Mesut never apply the same criticism to Kroos.

Now I absolutely adore Toni, and love that the last DDR-born superstar has had such a prestigious career, but he's no more effective than Mesut in 50/50s, he's no more physically robust, and he has about as many big game poor showings as Mesut.

Yet those people who ****** about Ozil usually praise Kroos.

Mesut is very effective at intercepting passes in that second wave of pressing. His quickness, positioning, skill and brilliance make him hugely effective at picking off those pressured passes that get past the first wave pressers.

He's one of our most effective players in tight spaces...alongside Brandt, Weigl & Dahoud...and he's carried this team's creative burden for so long that I hope someday he can get the appreciation he deserves. Even if people will never get over their obsession with physicality, despite the sport growing ever more technical & intelligent.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Icardi is the out an out striker for Argentina right now based on the last few call ups. He's ahead of Higuain and Kun.

So, far this year in the Serie A nobody touches Dybala. He's started 2 games and came on as a sub, joint top scorer with Icardi but less minutes. Of course that doesn't tell half the story with Dybala who like Messi drives the offence like nobody in that league.

Don't think I prefer Icardi over Dybala, I totally get that Dybala is better than Icardi now and in the future. However, I do still think Icardi has been much more impressive in the early going. Especially when you consider the talent Juve has on Inter besides Perisic who is an awesome player. Scored a beauty of a volley a couple weeks back.

That is surprising that he's ahead of Kun, but if he's able to stay healthy and the form he's in, he should be your guys top striker.

Yet those people who ****** about Ozil usually praise Kroos.
LOL, that is totally me. However, I think Kroos has done a better job reaching his hype than the likes of Ozil and Gotze (who's probably been the most disappointing player). I like how Kroos plays the game, I love his long shots, passing ability, and versatility. Even if I admit, he isn't as creative as I thought he would be when he goes forward as a BXB/CM. I think he holds on the ball a bit too long getting himself into trouble and that his pace doesn't really make up for it.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Don't think I prefer Icardi over Dybala, I totally get that Dybala is better than Icardi now and in the future. However, I do still think Icardi has been much more impressive in the early going. Especially when you consider the talent Juve has on Inter besides Perisic who is an awesome player. Scored a beauty of a volley a couple weeks back.

That is surprising that he's ahead of Kun, but if he's able to stay healthy and the form he's in, he should be your guys top striker.

I think it's fair to say Icardi was better last year due to Higuain coming to Juve. However, to start this year Dybala has been a class above everyone just look at the who scored ratings. https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/1...5404/PlayerStatistics/Italy-Serie-A-2017-2018

No Juve player in the top 10 other than Paulo.

he now has 8 goals in 4 games, 2 hat tricks and a goal in every league game so far. Still 50ish minutes than Icardi.

I wouldn't say it's surprising considering how much Argentina are struggling and how injury prone Kun is.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
LOL, that is totally me. However, I think Kroos has done a better job reaching his hype than the likes of Ozil and Gotze (who's probably been the most disappointing player). I like how Kroos plays the game, I love his long shots, passing ability, and versatility. Even if I admit, he isn't as creative as I thought he would be when he goes forward as a BXB/CM. I think he holds on the ball a bit too long getting himself into trouble and that his pace doesn't really make up for it.

I love Toni, and he's become a world class 6, so don't feel bad about loving Toni. But his long shots & Mesut's quickness are the only real differences between the two. :dunno:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I love Toni, and he's become a world class 6, so don't feel bad about loving Toni. But his long shots & Mesut's quickness are the only real differences between the two. :dunno:

If Kroos has a guy like Casemiro next to him he's a stud. If he has to play the 6 by himself, he's pretty weak.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Kroos has a guy like Casemiro next to him he's a stud. If he has to play the 6 by himself, he's pretty weak.

Germany have played with just Kroos & Ozil in midfield & crushed it *shrug* I think adding one of Gundogan / Kramer / Dahoud / Demirbay / Amiri next to those two gives us perfect balance with going full Casemiro.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Germany have played with just Kroos & Ozil in midfield & crushed it *shrug* I think adding one of Gundogan / Kramer / Dahoud / Demirbay / Amiri next to those two gives us perfect balance with going full Casemiro.

Drop Ozil and hope that Reus and Weigl will be ready and in good form when the WC arrives.

Also IMO Gundogan should start over Khedira when fit (that seems to be the biggest questionmark for next year going into the WC) but Jogi might not agree with me on that one...

Goretzka also might force his way into the starting 11 if he has a really strong year.

I wouldn't mind Weigl - Goretzka - Kroos in MF if we decide to go 4 3 3.

Reus - Werner - Müller in front of that.

Sounds good to me...

We would only have to find a better LB than Hector (too bad that is not going to happen) to go with Kimmich - Boateng - Hummels and we really could win it again...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Goretzka can't play in the midfield for our NT team at this point in his career. I can see him being an effective false 9 if Werner & Stindl got hurt, but he's way too slow & sloppy when he can't run. And nobody lets our senior NT run anymore.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Goretzka can't play in the midfield for our NT team at this point in his career. I can see him being an effective false 9 if Werner & Stindl got hurt, but he's way too slow & sloppy when he can't run. And nobody lets our senior NT run anymore.

What?

I think Goretzka is one of our most talented young players by far. And he certainly is skilled enough to do everything he wants with the ball IMO. He is no Ozil on the ball but quite adequate and way better than Khedira ever was and he was used in a rather offensive role by Jogi for years unfortunately
Don't think speed is an issue either.

There is a reason why he probably will go to Bayern next season instead of them trying for Keita (which I would have preferred).

Stindl? That name IMO does not even belong in the discussion after Werner has established himself.
Very good player but not one of the best 25 Germans. He should not be nominated next season.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

When was this? In the World Cup he had schweinsteiger and Kramer or Khedira doing the dirty work.

Against France it was Schweini and Can.

Just watch the Valencia Real game and you can see how badly Kroos struggled with out Casemeiro. Super underrated player.

Dunno why Ozil has to be in EVERY comment yesh

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
Yeah to me Ozil is the quintessential player that does good against easier competition or when the team is already doing well.

But he is not the one you want out there when you are facing adversity. That is when he ducks down and pulls his invisibility act.

He is not one to lift your teammates up or turn the game around on his own usually. Thats just not who he is.

I hate that characterization usually and think it is stupid but he to me is the epitome of being "not a big game player"....

When the going gets tough and the stakes get really high, I don't want Ozil on my team...

That is why I'd like to see him benched on my NT for good...

There is a reason why everyone and their mother wanted to get their hands on Suarez this offseason and why no one seemed to be particularly interested in Ozil..

He just is not the player a top club wants if they want to win stuff..

Well. He's a great big game player for the German National team so far (see my previous post).

Suarez and Ozil are completely different players though. Suarez *is* indeed better, but also just a player you can slot into any team (when he's on form at least).
Ozil's characteristics are more specific and you need to play certain ways to get the most out of him.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Man, Everton are not good. I don't think they are in trouble, but I could easily see them finishing outside of the top ten.

They lack so much going forward and are not tight at the back.
Have no idea how City managed to lose points at home against that lot considering how impressive they have been otherwise. (and they were already 0-1 down before the red card)

Also that Valencia goal :rolly:

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Dani Alves shields Cavani so Neymar can take the free kick, Neymar arguing with Cavani so he can take the penalty.

Who saids Ligue 1 isn't entertaining :sarcasm:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What?

I think Goretzka is one of our most talented young players by far. And he certainly is skilled enough to do everything he wants with the ball IMO. He is no Ozil on the ball but quite adequate and way better than Khedira ever was and he was used in a rather offensive role by Jogi for years unfortunately
Don't think speed is an issue either.

There is a reason why he probably will go to Bayern next season instead of them trying for Keita (which I would have preferred).

Stindl? That name IMO does not even belong in the discussion after Werner has established himself.
Very good player but not one of the best 25 Germans. He should not be nominated next season.

Stindl is our best striker when we have to play in possession and can not counter. Werner's form has him ahead of Stindl for me as well, and I'm optimistic that he'll learn to be as effective when space tighten up as he is when he can run; but Stindl is the best alternative we have regardless.

As for LeGo, there's no need to tell me about his talent. I was gushing about his potential on here when I was still watching him visit the Alte Forsterei with Bochum. His skill level is tremendous, he's a freak athlete, and the kid knows how to score goals...

However, no one has ever taught Goretzka how to play in possession. When he doesn't have room to run and opposing defenses are set up rather than racing back, he doesn't know what too do and takes too long on the ball to ponder his options. With how rarely our NT gets to counter LeGo just doesn't offer enough that would actually help this team on the pitch to make up for how much he slows down our possession...unless he's used as a big false-9

Khedira was never the athlete or the talent LeGo is but Sami is a much quicker thinker who has a much better understanding of how to follow the ball and present himself as a constant easy-option for the ball carriers to play 1-2s with; like a poor man's Kramer. So Khedira still benefitted the quickness & efficiency of our possession game; unlike Goretzka or Lars Bender, who both need to take a few touches while deciding where to go with the ball.

I'm optimistic that Tedesco can teach that Schalke team how to play in possession, but that hasn't happened yet and won't happen before this tourney rolls around.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Nice to see someone not influenced by marketing or public opinion.

Pes has like a dozen real liscensed teams. That's the beginning and end of the discussion on their popularity. Pes 17 is the best soccer game ever made but doesn't even have Bayern Munich. So you're going to lose that battle every time.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Pes has like a dozen real liscensed teams. That's the beginning and end of the discussion on their popularity. Pes 17 is the best soccer game ever made but doesn't even have Bayern Munich. So you're going to lose that battle every time.

You do know that you can get all the licenses by installing an option file in 30 minutes? Plus PES has the full license for the champions league, Europa league and so on. FIFA does not no matter what you do. Unless you only have a Xbox then I understand as that hunk of garbage does not allow it, why would anyone buy one anyway boggles the mind.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
You do know that you can get all the licenses by installing an option file in 30 minutes? Plus PES has the full license for the champions league, Europa league and so on. FIFA does not no matter what you do. Unless you only have a Xbox then I understand as that hunk of garbage does not allow it, why would anyone buy one anyway boggles the mind.

Yeah the Xbox one is kinda a disaster. Once I heard you had to be online to play it I was out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad