GDT: The Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
is it at all possible people are upset at the return because everyone was convinced that sergachev or foote were coming our way? or the fact that McD's value wasnt as high as we thought cause he hasnt been as good since the stanley cup run? or that miller played himself out of town with his attitude and lack of compete and being a little whiny bitchy baby?

Reactions: Crease and nyrage

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
is it at all possible people are upset at the return because everyone was convinced that sergachev or foote were coming our way? or the fact that McD's value wasnt as high as we thought cause he hasnt been as good since the stanley cup run? or that miller played himself out of town with his attitude and lack of compete and being a little whiny *****y baby?
Yes, I think people are upset at the return because they thought an overpayment was realistic.

The return the Rangers got was great.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
is it at all possible people are upset at the return because everyone was convinced that sergachev or foote were coming our way? or the fact that McD's value wasnt as high as we thought cause he hasnt been as good since the stanley cup run? or that miller played himself out of town with his attitude and lack of compete and being a little whiny *****y baby?

I don't follow/read a lot of off ice stuff. What did Miller whine about (also, to who)?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm stoked that Gorton is committing to this and isn't trying that "retool on the fly" stuff anymore. He's laying a strong foundation for the rebuild here. 7 picks in the first 3 rounds this year. Added 4 very strong prospects. This deadline was always about stockpiling, and not about the individual returns for players. Gorton did very well.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX

I don't think that McDonaugh has been great the past couple of years regardless of who he had to play with. He's still very good though, but I think the injuries had an impact on him. That's just my opinion. I didn't want us to commit to another contract, so I wanted us to trade him.

Miller disgusted me this year. Aside from disappearing in the playoffs, he disappeared often enough this regular season. He seemed like he didn't care. I was tired of his turnovers, too.

Overall, I thought the deal was ballpark fair. However, I was pissed because I felt like Gorton blinked and didn't get Sergachev. I didn't expect him in the deal for McDonaugh alone, but I did once I heard Miller was included. I thought Gorton had leverage in this situation, but blew it. I don't know. Who knows what other teams offered. I'm sure Gorton did some research on what he could get at the draft from other teams and decided to make this deal.

That said, it's a very exciting time for the franchise. Our prospect pool is greatly enhanced from a year ago and we have a chance to add a lot of other nice pieces.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
The reactions are a bit... bipolar. Yesterday, Miller is a lazy bozo who needs to be shipped out asap. Today he's a young 50 point quasi power forward who doesn't rely on his linemates unlike the return.

People have been clamouring for picks like they are the last bitcoin but now the 2 prospects are reduced to a small percentage to actually pan out. A pick is exponentially less likely to work out but ok.

McDonagh has a broken hand fwiw.

We were never, ever getting a roster player besides namestnikov. That's the only name that has ever been rumored. The reasonable proposals had 2 prospects and 2 1sts. That's this deal.

I truly believe people wanted a deal that they could shove in Yzerman's, and lightning fans, face. They wanted him to feel some pain on this trade. That's emotions and that will get you in trouble in negotiations.

The only question is if a better return was there in the summer. I have my doubts. I think there will be a ton of movement and some outstanding defenders will go for some low prices. That will be the detail that this trade is measured against.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I just want to point out that we got a LD in every transaction we made leading up to TD.

O'Gara
Rykov
Lindgren
Hajek
Bigras

And if we magically end up with #1OA, we're adding Dahlin. I mean, we won't get the #1 but hey (Sam Rosen NY State Lottery voice: "you never know!").

So I hope some pan out and we can swap for RD or get a decent one or two in the draft. But we still need a higher ranked C, and I'd love a real sniper.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I have to agree that Gortons done a good job.

Something tells me his hand was forced a bit in the last several days regarding Mac, and I was disappointed that Miller was thrown into the Mac deal.

Not upset that he was traded, but I was saying all along that to maximize value for each of these players you need to deal them on their own.

We saw that with the Grabner, Holden and especially in the Nash deal. The question is, if Mac was traded on his own to TB or elsewhere and Miller to say the Jets or elsewhere, would the full return been more?

If Miller wasn’t in their plans then so be it, but i felt they cut into Macs value by adding him.

The important thing is they have 7 picks in the first 3 rounds in a good draft and possibly another 1st in one of the next two drafts. They also have amassed several prospects and roster players that they can flip or keep.

So all in all it was a positive deadline. Things could’ve been worse I believe. Nash and or Grabs could’ve gotten injured in the past month and they could’ve lost them for nothing. Or Mac could’ve been miserable and demanded a trade during the summer effectively degrading his value. No one could’ve sprung for a 3rd for Holden. So I’m trying to look on the bright side here though it’s a little difficult after the last trade.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm stoked that Gorton is committing to this and isn't trying that "retool on the fly" stuff anymore. He's laying a strong foundation for the rebuild here. 7 picks in the first 3 rounds this year. Added 4 very strong prospects. This deadline was always about stockpiling, and not about the individual returns for players. Gorton did very well.

This will be scoffed at by the pie chart crowd but I also like the leadership group they're building with Lias, Howden and Lindgren.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad