GDT: The Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It’s interesting. I know a few weeks ago I was hoping there would be a way for us to pry Sergachev out of Tampa. I wasn’t expecting it, but it would have been nice. I had a feeling the return would be less though.

Today while listening to tradecenter and hearing Dreger, Johnston, Duthie, LeBrun, etc. all speculate on what type of return we could be getting, I got my hopes up again. I mean... they were throwing out names like Point (unlikely but possible), Sergachev (who they thought was a forgone conclusion to be included since Miller was going) and Foote. When none of those names were included, I was a bit disappointed. How can I not be? We just traded our Capitain and Miller and that was the return? Granted I don’t know a ton about Namestnikov but hearing TB fans unanimously shout that he was a product of his line, it seemed even worse.

But if Gorton made the deal it had to be the best one out there. I’ve been torn as to whether or not the better time to trade McD was now or at the draft. I think it’s much riskier to trade him at the draft so we got the best we could. And while I think some people have taken it to the extreme, there is a fairly good point in saying that this isn’t the McDonagh we knew. The guy we traded this year isn’t the same guy as last year. He isn’t the same guy who was a top 10 defenseman 2 years ago. He looked hurt. He wasn’t 100%. Maybe this summer he can rest up and get back to playing some solid hockey. Maybe he returns to his old self.

Then again, maybe he doesn’t. I think some people were expecting a return for McDonagh like he has been an injury free player, with 3-4 more years an 4.7 million. Neither of those are the case. He is still a #1 defenseman but for how much longer? What if those injuries continue to plague him.

From what I have read, Howden has top 6 upside and Hajek top 4 upside. Getting a 2nd/3rd line tweener, 1st rounder, Cond. 1st rounders, a potential top 6 forward and a potential top 4 defenseman for two guys that were obviously no longer in the long term plans of the organization? Well that isn’t a bad deal by any means. Yes, my dislike for Steve Y drove me to want to see Gorton hose him in a trade. I wanted Gorton to win the trade to screw Yzerman more sothan I wanted it to help the Rangers. That’s not the way to be.

It’s a new era in Rangers town. I still firmly believe Gorton is the right man for the job. I don’t envy him. To have to trade Grabner, Nash, Holden, McDonagh and Miller in the span of a week? Well that takes a set of boulders my friend. Because if you **** those deals up, you’re going to pay for a very long time. Of course we won’t know for a few years how good/bad we did. But will it really matter? At this point it’s not like we had any other choice.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
It’s interesting. I know a few weeks ago I was hoping there would be a way for us to pry Sergachev out of Tampa. I wasn’t expecting it, but it would have been nice. I had a feeling the return would be less though.

Today while listening to tradecenter and hearing Dreger, Johnston, Duthie, LeBrun, etc. all speculate on what type of return we could be getting, I got my hopes up again. I mean... they were throwing out names like Point (unlikely but possible), Sergachev (who they thought was a forgone conclusion to be included since Miller was going) and Foote. When none of those names were included, I was a bit disappointed. How can I not be? We just traded our Capitain and Miller and that was the return? Granted I don’t know a ton about Namestnikov but hearing TB fans unanimously shout that he was a product of his line, it seemed even worse.

But if Gorton made the deal it had to be the best one out there. I’ve been torn as to whether or not the better time to trade McD was now or at the draft. I think it’s much riskier to trade him at the draft so we got the best we could. And while I think some people have taken it to the extreme, there is a fairly good point in saying that this isn’t the McDonagh we knew. The guy we traded this year isn’t the same guy as last year. He isn’t the same guy who was a top 10 defenseman 2 years ago. He looked hurt. He wasn’t 100%. Maybe this summer he can rest up and get back to playing some solid hockey. Maybe he returns to his old self.

Then again, maybe he doesn’t. I think some people were expecting a return for McDonagh like he has been an injury free player, with 3-4 more years an 4.7 million. Neither of those are the case. He is still a #1 defenseman but for how much longer? What if those injuries continue to plague him.

From what I have read, Howden has top 6 upside and Hajek top 4 upside. Getting a 2nd/3rd line tweener, 1st rounder, Cond. 1st rounders, a potential top 6 forward and a potential top 4 defenseman for two guys that were obviously no longer in the long term plans of the organization? Well that isn’t a bad deal by any means. Yes, my dislike for Steve Y drove me to want to see Gorton hose him in a trade. I wanted Gorton to win the trade to screw Yzerman more sothan I wanted it to help the Rangers. That’s not the way to be.

It’s a new era in Rangers town. I still firmly believe Gorton is the right man for the job. I don’t envy him. To have to trade Grabner, Nash, Holden, McDonagh and Miller in the span of a week? Well that takes a set of boulders my friend. Because if you **** those deals up, you’re going to pay for a very long time. Of course we won’t know for a few years how good/bad we did. But will it really matter? At this point it’s not like we had any other choice.

Good post. Agreed pretty much all the way around. This was my take from a little earlier:

Alright, earlier in the day the boards were impossible to post on and I gave short, emotional responses to the trade. Now that the smoke has settled, here is my take.

If you go back in our roster building thread, I had been saying for weeks that Foote, Howden, 1st, 2nd (conditional 1st) was more than realistic for McDonagh and to temper our expectations. This deal is in line with that, but... Foote was always supposed to be the main get, IMO. While Hajek is good as well, the fact that we held the cards so to speak but were unable to pull Foote perturbed me a little. However, c’est la vie. I can live with that aspect, but I don’t like that we essentially bent to Yzerman’s will. He wanted McD and he didn’t want to move Sergachev or Point. I never thought he would. But then he also got to tell us no on non roster prospects as well.

Additionally, I am simply not high on Namestnikov at all. Not even a little. I REALLY hope he proves me wrong but he and Miller were drafted same year. Miller’s last 3 NHL seasons have been 40 in 63 on our depleted team, 56 in 82 and 43 in 82. Namestnikov’s last 3 seasons have been 44 in 62 playing on the best offensive line in the league, 28 in 74 and 35 in 80. Miller’s production last year nearly equals Namestnikov’s last two years combined. Miller barely trails him this year on a far less potent team. Namestnikov is not going to be able to produce here. He will be back to a 35-40 point player.

The Namestnikov for Miller bit is what elicited such a negative reaction from me. WE Rangers fans here on HF are sour on Miller right now because he’s been playing some boneheaded hockey under AV on our terrible team. But on a good team with a better coach I still believe Miller is a very good player. Being the same age as Namestnikov and much more proven (multiple 20+ goal seasons, much more production, etc.) the fact that we got Namestnikov when we added Miller doesn’t sit well with me. When I saw that the McD trade was going to include Miller I assumed we must have gotten Yzerman to cave in on something by including JT. When I saw the return it seems as though Yzerman got US to cave in and include JT for a package that McD should have been able to pull on his own.

I do believe the return is decent. I’m not unhappy with it. I hope Namestnikov proves me very wrong. I don’t dislike the way he plays at all, I just don’t think he can drive production and his points are going to fall back to ~40ish per 82 on our team. Nothing to get excited about. I love Howden as a prospect. I’m very happy he was included. I mentioned his name every post I made about McD to TB. Hajek may turn out to be a gem. I’ll definitely be rooting for all the ex-Rangers to win the Cup and get us a second 1st rounder. I still believe Gorton was bested by Yzerman. Harsh as people have been on Miller this season on these boards, Yzerman got the two best players in the deal and the likelihood is that Howden MAY one day be about as good or a bit better than Miller. I’m okay with the trade but I don’t think it was a great one by any means.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Like I said, I had my heart set on Foote/Howden. I felt if we could get Foote/Howden/First/Conditional first, we were in great shape.

Once the Foote-Karlsson info started floating around, I knew that wasn't going to happen.

I guess I don't feel let down about Sergachev or Point because I never really considered them serious options. Same with Marner, I just didn't think that was on the table.

I think we did very good at this deadline, better than a lot of people realize because they had their hopes connected to sexier names who were more established. But I think the prospects we received will make for a nice infusion of talent. Already Howden is our third best forward prospect, and the defensive prospects we have compare favorably to what was in the system.

Lost in all this is the fact that the Rangers have three first round picks, including what looks like a top 10 pick. Under normal circumstances, the board would be thrilled with that. Heck, at this point, we're potentially looking at having 8 percent of the first 100 picks in this draft. Potentially more if the Rangers do their usual draft day wheeling and dealing. That's a lot of picks for Gordie and company to play with.

I think we're underrating the NHL talent we got back in our trades as well. Spooner and Namestnikov have their warts. But there is some talent there. We're talking about a recently turned 26 year old who is on pace for 20 goals and 50 points, and a 25 year old on pace for 26 goals and 58 points.

Yes there are concerns there. Yes, those numbers could fall playing on this shell of a team down the stretch. But it's also nothing to dismiss either. I know there's an immediate reaction to trade them for more picks, and maybe that's what the Rangers do. But I'm not convinced that's a foregone conclusion. Both guys are young enough, and have enough talent, to at least be transitional players for this team. Rebuild or any other name, the Rangers are not going to field a team of rookies and cheap talent next season. So we'll see what happens.

This team most likely isn't done. Zucc, for better or worse, looks like a prime candidate for a draft or mid-summer trade. You could see the Rangers get a return of a prospect, a transitional piece and a first there as well.

But it's important to keep in mind that this is going to be a longer process than most realize. It's easier to look at other teams rebuild and feel like time is flying than it is to live through one yourself. There are going to be swings and misses. There are going to be surprises. Prospects you like are going to level-off, others are going to surprise you. Some guys will be packaged at some point, others will become afterthoughts. Some will take longer to develop, others will come along faster. You're not going to like every trade, every pick and every signing. You're going to feel frustrated and angry and concerned. You're going to swear some guys are being held back. The next coach is going to drive you crazy. He will have his favorites too.

You're going to fight with one another. Unfortunately, you will sometimes make it personal, and you will sometimes take it personal. You will hear a lot of stupid things. You will hear a lot of insightful things. Some of the people posting here today will not be posting here the next time we are contenders. People who aren't posting now will be.

There has never been a more exciting or scarier time in this franchise's modern history, not even 2004.

Try to take the good with the bad. It's a very unique experience.

Don't be jerks to each other. You all want the same thing in your different ways.

Try to enjoy yourself.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Mango a go go, for Spooner
Apple n charge, for O'Gara

Team wanted to treat the new guys to smoothies

Reactions: TheTakedown

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
me thinks this organization is thinking quick retool ala the devs.

add some speed and some talent to the core.

add a top 3 pick this year and some more skill, retool the defense and see what happens.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
We now have ammo for a OEL/Karlsson/Doughty type trade. I'd rather look for a Hjalmarsson type.

I'd still try to sell Tavares on the Rangers. Tell him he could become a legend like Messier. He'll win a cup in his 3rd year. Book it e5

Reactions: TheTakedown

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't think the Rangers are packing for those types of deals.

I'll think they'll make runs at free agents. But I really don't get the feeling they did all this to fire away at a big trade.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Just like nhl players, prospects go up and down in value. Tomorrow’s flavor of the day may be an unknown right now. Paying a premium on a hot prospect isn’t necessarily the only way to go.

Last edited:

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
me thinks this organization is thinking quick retool ala the devs.

add some speed and some talent to the core.

add a top 3 pick this year and some more skill, retool the defense and see what happens.
The Devils rebuild took about 3-4 years. I'd say it started back in 2015 when they got Zacha, but they also sucked in 2014 just had a late first due to the kovy stuff

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
He probably didnt

Agreed, I don't think Miller was a whiner.He wants to play well and win. He's still a kid who still wears his emotions on his sleeve so to speak and can't hide his disappointment when he feels he hasn't performed up to his ability. If JT learns to harness his emotions and use them motivation--given his skill level--he will become a very dangerous player. And even if he can't quite do it, he still has enough talent to be productive in the right role.

Even though he's been traded, I'm still interested to see how it all turns out for him.

Last edited:

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
So I mentioned earlier, in the OT thread, I went to my local craft hangout and had a couple of heavy hitting barleywines. Came home and got into the barrel proof bourbon and started watching some McDonagh highlights, which led me to some older highlights of Dubi, Cally, Gaborik... even Prucha, Kotalik, Drury. Now I’m sitting in my favorite armchair watching highlights with my Girardi jersey on, working on finishing what’s left of this bottle and reminiscing a really good decade of Rangers hockey. Got ugly here the last year and a half-ish but we had it pretty darn good for a while. No Cup sadly, but I had a lot of fun. Especially when I still lived in New York and got to go to the Garden regularly. The one damn thing I don’t like about the military, not being able to live where you want.

Love this team, although I’ve had my moments over the last few seasons where I lost interest and dedicated more focus to the league in general. I think it was partially just seeing the writing on the wall and being ready for this rebuild a year or two before it happened. There’s a strange sense of satisfaction now that it has begun. It was necessary. A bitter sweet end to one period but a bright hope for another. Gonna watch someHowden, Chytil, Lias and Libor clips while I finish this bourbon and look forward to the future. I’ve watched enough Shestyorkin clips already; can’t bring myself to watch himright now and think about the day Hank isn’t in net any more.

I’ll be cheering for TBay these next two post seasons, that’s for sure. Girardi and McD can finally get a cup paired together, along with Millsy, Cally and Strawman.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don’t know much about coaches outside of Keefe (who I like, but I doubt they hire him), but if they fire AV, I would be very surprised if Gorton didn’t go scour the NCAA coaching pool for someone

Specifically the Boston area

The guy from BU I would interested in (Quinn, I think is his name)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad