GDT: The Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
People are irrationally upset with this deal. Namestnikov >>>Miller. The rest is fine for McDonagh, who will quite possibly break down during this playoff run. Two firsts basically cmon they will win the cup lets be real. PLUS a mcdonagh-light dman and a stepan-esque center. Whoever that exec was that said we got a grinder in Howden is a f****** moron. Absolute idiot. I trust @SteveKournianos with the scouting reports on the prospects. This is a fair deal. Yes Gorton did not blow it out of the park, but we sure as hell did not get fleeced. Depending on how we draft this is a win for both teams. Calm yourselves. Sergachev was not the answer either. And to be honest I think if Tallon was dumb enough to put Borstrom on the table then McDonagh would be going to FLA and the package would be worse, we would just be getting Borgstrom so most people would like it. This is a good deal for both teams and makes us a better team in the future. We have a C pipeline of Zib, Hayes, Namestnikov, Spooner, Lias, Chytil, Howden. Granted some will be moved to win this is fantastic. We will be contending in 3 years tops.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
So a recap of the 2018 Firesale:

OUT

McDonagh
Nash (50% ret)
Miller
Grabner
Holden

IN

2018 1st (BOS)
2018 1st (TB)
2018 2nd (NJD)
2018 3rd (BOS)
2019 7th
Conditional 2nd (TB) (1st if TB wins cup next 2 seasons)
Namestnikov
Spooner
Belesky (50% ret)
Howden
Lindgren
Rykov
Hajek

13 players for 5. Am I missing anything?

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Interesting that most of the speculation was that we'd be targeting young players who were NHL ready as returns. Other than Spooner and Nemestnikov, who both appear to 'role players' rather than top line talent, it ended up being a bunch of moves that we won't see the results of for a few years yet.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
TBL have been drafting pretty strong out of CHL, and specialy out of WHL. Tp be honest, I would thrust TBL scouts more then our own when picking from WHL

Reactions: wafflepadsave

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Interesting that most of the speculation was that we'd be targeting young players who were NHL ready as returns. Other than Spooner and Nemestnikov, who both appear to 'role players' rather than top line talent, it ended up being a bunch of moves that we won't see the results of for a few years yet.
most of the kids we got are in their D+2 years or more. I think that was the point. Howden will be in the ahl next year for the Chytil treatment, and Chytil and LA will make the jump. Team can start an actual pipeline of talent to the big club and have it staggered the way youd like it rather than everyone coming at once. They aren't going with the oiler model of throwing 15 kids on a team w 3 vets and thinking it will work...

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
How far away is Howden and Hajek from making the NHL realistically?
He could make the team next year, especially is Hayes is traded
Vesey goes out too
Staal bought out

Same with Hajek

Kreider Zib Buch
Chytil Howden Zucc
Spooner Andersson Kovalchuk
Namestikov Nieves Fast

That lineup is raw, but has a lot of talent. And that 4th line would bring it every game.

Dahlin Shattenkirk
Skjei Pionk
Hajek DeAngelo

or

Skjei Boqvist
xxx Shattenkirk
Hajek DeAngelo

Last edited:
Reactions: Ori

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The one thing I appreciate in all of this is that they got back a ton of assets. Players and picks could be dealt to accelerate the process or move up to select true talents. 13 players for 5 at the deadline. There are some quality prospects in there as well, in addition to Andersson and Chytil. Also what will amount to be 7 draft picks in the top 3 rounds which is the most in the NHL going into the draft. We'll see where this goes.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I like Namestikov's game more than Miller. Miller put up points, but it always seemed so pedestrian and the guy was allergic to the playoffs - wasn't even snakebitten and couldn't be defended the way Nash could.

Spooner I actually really like more than most - Brassard 2.0
Look at Brassard's stat line before coming here and same with Spooner - same age and trajectory. Same skill set. I could definitely see Spooner going that same route.

I think Hayes is gone, maybe Vesey too.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I hope he skates much better!
His skating actually looks pretty good to me

The clip I attached starts right at where I am talking about. Watch that to see his skating in close, and then the clip that plays right after shows is skating on the rush. I'm good with it. Seems like he handles the puck well too. Liked his edge work as well. Strong on his skates and hard turns.

Last edited:

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Going to miss McDonagh. Wish we could have got Sergachev. Hoping Howden turns into a Getzlaf. I have nothing to say about Miller. He's a meh player that's going to be pricey next year.

Praying that our player development works well and the future players we draft, reach their potential.

Reactions: Doctor King Schultz

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think it's becoming more and more clear that something happened behind the scenes where mcd needed to be moved.

My uninformed guess is that someone (dolan or whoever) not only decided it was time to tear this thing down, but also pointed to mcd leadership and or the pulse of the team and targeted the captain as a piece that needed to go in order to change the culture here. Once that decision was made and mcd got hurt they (conveniently) held him out of the lineup even when he was healthy to make sure he was not injured before the deadline and told him in private why he was not dressing. After they did that they were at the point of no return and needed to trade him by this tdl...

This... I'm rather confident there are some issues behind the curtain that we don't fully know about yet. I'm sure Brooks will leak a few bits later

Reactions: Blueshirt Special
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad