Blue Jays Discussion: The trade deadline has passed. Time to see what this can do (most acquisitions expected to be present Thursday in Minnesota)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
How did Kikuchi get $36M for 3 years.... Like I read how in 2019 they really wanted him then, but he went with Seattle, but his numbers in Seattle weren't anything great, but he gets rewarded with $36M because this management thinks they could changed a few things on him to be worth the overpayment basically... Like what....

It’s understandable to be upset about the deal, but I’m not sure why it bears repeating even after he has decent outings.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
It’s understandable to be upset about the deal, but I’m not sure why it bears repeating even after he has decent outings.

I didn't realize that's how much he got, I thought for some reason he got $16M for 3 years, so when I saw how much he really got it shocked me, still shocks me because he's no good, and just because he has 1 decent outing, doesn't mean you can't question him still. So any player who struggles now and has 1 good game you can't question them again until they have a bad game again, interesting didn't know that.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
What do you think Ross Striplings next contract will look like? Have to think some team will pay him alot?

Not a great comparator as Estrada pitched more as a starter but they have similar styles. Estrada got $26M over 2 years after 2015 for his aged 32-33 seasons.

Estrada pitched just under 600 innings in his 4 years leading up to free agency and put up 7.2 WAR.
Matz put up 7.8 WAR in roughly 730 innings in his career and got $44M over 4 years for his aged 31-34 seasons.

Stripling is 30 and out up 7.2 WAR for his career which is 638 innings.

Really depends if he wants to stay, i could see him getting under $25-30M with the Jays. But he could get a Matz type deal. Personally id offer him the QO and hope he declines and we get a pick. With Kikuchi on the books i think your "4th starter" behind Gausman, Manoah and Berrios has to be better than most 4th starters, With Ryu coming off the books after 2023, i would aim extremely high for a starter considering you have no position player free agents this season.

Im throwing money at Verlander, de Grom, or Rodon. And if you dont think Kikuchi can bounce back, grab Bassitt, Eovaldi, Syndergaard, Heaney or Taillon. White is your new Stripling out of the pen.

Got no issue with getting Verlander and say Heaney knowing you are likely losing Teo, Gurriel and Whit next offseason. Blair says he doesnt see Teo on the Jays next season if he doesnt take an extension. Got to extend Chapman, move Springer to RF and get a CF and LF. Maybe the LFer and 2B is a platoon between Espinal/Biggio/Otto Lopez. Joey Gallo may not be a bad buy low this offseason.

I would be trying Lopez in CF and or move Orelvis to the OF. Need some OFers in 2023.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Think Stripling will go the way of Estrada. Qualify him and end up giving him a 2 year deal at a bit of a discount from the QO (something like 2/34).

Reactions: Discoverer

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Merrifield has been a huge disappointment so far.

Everyone acquired has been so so at best outside of Bass who has been excellent. Bass is what the Jays needed in the bullpen. Still would feel more comfortable with an extra quality starting pitcher personally. I mean the Richards/Kikuchi duo was scary in a battle to be in the playoffs.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't realize that's how much he got, I thought for some reason he got $16M for 3 years, so when I saw how much he really got it shocked me, still shocks me because he's no good, and just because he has 1 decent outing, doesn't mean you can't question him still. So any player who struggles now and has 1 good game you can't question them again until they have a bad game again, interesting didn't know that.

No, but even after a good outing he’s still being criticized? I’m used to people on this board being quiet after highly criticized players do something good. We all know he’s been bad, unreliable, and worthy of release.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Think Stripling will go the way of Estrada. Qualify him and end up giving him a 2 year deal at a bit of a discount from the QO (something like 2/34).
Listen, Buck said he would sign him right now 2 years/$16 million, $8 mil per year lol, do it.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I wish both Gausman and Berrios come through tomorrow and show why they are both 100M+ front of the rotation starters. I hope our talent comes through in general. We are more talented than the Os. They shouldn't be stealing our playoff spot.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
As rough as the offence was in this Pirates series, they still swept them and showed adversity. The last three series the Dodgers have lost were Mets (Aug 30-Sep 01), Nats (Jul 25-27), and Rockies (Jun 27-29). Obviously the stretches between that is why the Dodgers have been so successful, but even two of the worst teams in baseball took series wins over LAD. Even the Pirates swept them earlier in the season. The hot O’s just got shutdown by Adrian Martinez… This series easily could’ve gone sour, instead they made up a game on the Os (and potentially Rays) which is big.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
As rough as the offence was in this Pirates series, they still swept them and showed adversity. The last three series the Dodgers have lost were Mets (Aug 30-Sep 01), Nats (Jul 25-27), and Rockies (Jun 27-29). Obviously the stretches between that is why the Dodgers have been so successful, but even two of the worst teams in baseball took series wins over LAD. Even the Pirates swept them earlier in the season. The hot O’s just got shutdown by Adrian Martinez… This series easily could’ve gone sour, instead they made up a game on the Os (and potentially Rays) which is big.

You're right. There are no gimmies. Even Seattle's supposedly weak sched to finish the season doesn't mean a thing. Still have to play well enough to win.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Albert needs 5 bombs in 28 games to get the big 700

Gotta wonder if the Cards start trotting him out more with the Brewers basically on life support and then basically locked into their seed (Dodgers ran away with home field, Mets are like 6 games up)

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Just to add, he could be a solid middle of the rotation starter in his final two years on his contract.

The stuff is fine. Not talking about a Tanner Roark.
i'd argue its equally tough to recover from the mental issues as it is form non-stuff issues

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
How did Kikuchi get $36M for 3 years.... Like I read how in 2019 they really wanted him then, but he went with Seattle, but his numbers in Seattle weren't anything great, but he gets rewarded with $36M because this management thinks they could changed a few things on him to be worth the overpayment basically... Like what....
Matz, stripling and Ray are probably reasons as to why they thought they could do some tweaks with Kikuchi with a level of success. Unfortunately, this year it hasn’t worked out. Hopefully, next year they can finish the tweaks and get him confident

Reactions: aingefan

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Seattle sweeps the Guardians, thus leaving them and Minnesota tied and the White Sox 2 games back.

The baseball fan in me is rooting for Cleveland to pull through but the Jays fan in me want them to crash and burn since i don't want a postseason matchup with them.

I want Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad