Blue Jays Discussion: The trade deadline has passed. Time to see what this can do (most acquisitions expected to be present Thursday in Minnesota)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Last thread actually made it to 2k posts: Blue Jays Discussion: - The trade deadline approaches (Tue, Aug 2 at 6pm ET/3pm PT) and the market is taking shape

Thought I saw this morning that the team expects Bass, Pop, and Merrifield to be there potentially on the roster on Thursday for the Twins series. Mitch White was on option when he was traded and has been assigned to Buffalo, but he will apparently be on the taxi squad and is a candidate to take Stripling's turn in the rotation while Ross is on the IL.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Sadly, I anticipate Springer to go on the IL today and Whit will start in CF.
My guess is he’s going to need surgery in the winter. I’m guessing he goes to the IL comes back and plays until it flairs up again and goes back on the IL again and on we go. It’s not just going to get better just by sitting.

I really wonder what the price of Happ was. Would’ve been way more comfortable knowing we have him covering Springer.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
The team has to start hitting again. Having Springer out 10 days here and 10 days there really puts pressure on guys like Bo who have been struggling to start doing something and helping out. Vladdy and Teo need help also from other guys. Also would nice if Espy started hitting again, guy is hitting .238 the past month or so

Reactions: aingefan

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Springer hasn't hit well for awhile now (due to the elbow inflammation). Soft contact, everything on the ground. They've won games in spite of him hitting leadoff. Kirk's also been pretty underwhelming for a month now. Whiffing more, not taking as many walks, power decline. Looks like he's trying too hard to move/score runners. Lineup definitely needs a little shuffling again.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Whit will fill in for Springer admirably given Schneider’s knack for being aggressive on the base paths. A single/walk will often result in Whit getting in scoring position and if he continues to make contact like he has since July, he should be in scoring position often.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
JBJ just got DFA'd.

Any interest? I know we have Merrifield now. With Espy's OBP plumetting, we might want him taking some bats at 2B.

Springer
Teo
Lourdes
Tapia
Merrifield
Zimmer

Might be too many bench slots going to OFs once Springer is back...

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
JBJ just got DFA'd.

Any interest? I know we have Merrifield now. With Espy's OBP plumetting, we might want him taking some bats at 2B.

Springer
Teo
Lourdes
Tapia
Merrifield
Zimmer

They've had interest in the past but his salary is way too rich. Also think the Jays are fine with running out Espinal/Biggio in a platoon until one catches fire.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
The team has to start hitting again. Having Springer out 10 days here and 10 days there really puts pressure on guys like Bo who have been struggling to start doing something and helping out. Vladdy and Teo need help also from other guys. Also would nice if Espy started hitting again, guy is hitting .238 the past month or so
Whit can give both Springer and Espinal the breathers they need. He was a nice get by Atkins.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
JBJ just got DFA'd.

Springer
Teo
Lourdes
Tapia
Merrifield
Zimmer

He has a $13M option next year with a $8M buyout so no thanks trading for him. He will clear waivers and elect free agency. If he becomes a free agent then I would have interest in signing him to the league minimum to replace Zimmer, assuming Whit takes Collins’ spot.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
They've had interest in the past but his salary is way too rich. Also think the Jays are fine with running out Espinal/Biggio in a platoon until one catches fire.

I don't know if a straight platoon is such a good idea. Santi provides gold glove level D over there, and that's valuable.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Quietly Effective​

Toronto Blue Jays
What They Got:
Zach Pop, Anthony Bass, Whit Merrifield, Mitch White

What It Cost: Jordan Groshans, a giant pile of 40 FV prospects

Life Experience Comparison: Look, shopping at Wayfair isn’t glamorous, but it makes your house look better and doesn’t cost that much.

I’ll keep this one brief, because this list is getting long. I thought the Blue Jays did a great job shoring up the middle of the bullpen, a weakness so far this year. They also added a fifth starter who can become a reliever if necessary in October. They even got 2018’s hottest trade chip in Merrifield.

Groshans probably won’t come back to bite them, but even if he does, this is a good time for Toronto to press their advantages. They’re in a solid position to make the playoffs in a tough division. Living for the now without unduly mortgaging the future is a smart move. Could they have gone bigger in relief? Sure, if they could have somehow snagged Raisel Iglesias, but short of that, I like what they did just fine.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
He has a $13M option next year with a $8M buyout so no thanks trading for him. He will clear waivers and elect free agency. If he becomes a free agent then I would have interest in signing him to the league minimum to replace Zimmer, assuming Whit takes Collins’ spot.

Honestly, I'll keep Zimmer over JBJ. Neither of them is actually any good, and the team has enough better OF options that neither will ever really start any games. So I want whoever provides the most value in the niche pinch-running/defensive replacement role, and that's very clearly Zimmer (similar defensive value and JBJ is slow).

Reactions: Suntouchable13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad