OT: The Thread About Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Talked to my buddy down in Kill Devil Hills earlier and he's ready to leave depending on how far north this thing makes landfall and what the 11AM update says. He did mention that lot of people have been leaving throughout the day. They have 3 little kids plus they live on the sound so it might be best to just leave.

That NE quadrant of the storm is always the worst, wherever that ends up is going to get pummeled pretty good, the inland flooding is going to be insane too after it stalls as well. I usually go down for a surf trip and to visit in the fall, Rt 12 down through to Hatteras and the lighthouse has been washed out so many times and it's going to get crushed again. They actually just sank the first pilings for a causeway that runs over the sound just west of the highway to try and keep that road open in the future.

Here's a random horse from the last time I was there and went up to Coralla.
UlxwrWB.jpg

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
One side saying the men don’t get punished with penalties with an outburst as much as women do, while others are saying well Nadal did one and etc.

Hard time being sold either way unless someone does an actual study and proves one way or another it is lopsided.

THIS is another thing.

I grew up playing tennis & watched this sport my entire life, and honest-to-god, this is the first I'm hearing of this, "women get violations all the time that men dont" narrative.

I honestly had no idea this is a thing. I've never heard this, and watching a fair bit of tennis as I have, if I was forced to guess I'd say it's totally bogus. When men smash their rackets they routinely get violations. When men call refs ******** they do get violations. So frankly, if Serena and the WTA are GOING to MAKE this accusation, which they have, and which is pretty serious, where the hell is their statistical data to back it up? Because I would genuinely like to see it. Until then, I'm on the side that that's total horse****.

EDIT: FWIW, 14 men & 5 women (including SW) were penalized for racket abuse during the 2018 US Open

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Tennis.com weighing in with an interesting factoid that I hadnt noticed, and havent heard anyone else point out:

The fact is, Serena and her team are wholly responsible for what happened on Saturday night. If Patrick Mouratoglou hadn’t given Serena directives from her player box, hadn’t coached her to go to the net—which he admitted he did—then Ramos wouldn’t have charged Williams with illegal mid-match coaching. Serena claimed, over and over, that she hadn’t seen Mouratoglou’s hand signals, yet within three points she was suddenly hitting approach shots, something she hadn’t done previously. She told Ramos, “I didn’t cheat. I’d rather lose.”

The signal the coach was giving was "come in", which means come into the net. An "approach shot" means a shot that you hit and then follow in to the net for a volley. Hmmmm......

A Crying Shame: The 2018 US Open will only be remembered for Serena

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Has a storm this strong ever made landfall north of Florida since we have been tracking storms?

I’ve done a quick search but can’t find anything north of a Cat 3.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Has a storm this strong ever made landfall north of Florida since we have been tracking storms?

Hugo comes to mind. That was late 80s. I recall vacationing off Charleston in 1992 and the place was still pretty messed up.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Local weather guy who does a lot of informing and forecasting for emergency services said this one is crazy because it jumped right over Cat 3 from a 2 to a 4. It's a huge storm.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Reactions: BenedictGomez

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
so wait is tennis like the only sport on earth where communicating with your coach during the game isn't a thing, or?

sorry but if that's the case that's ludicrous to me. sounds like some hokey uber-traditionalist bullshit, like national league fans hating the designated hitter because they love 2-1 baseball games (even though they almost always benefit from it when playing in american league parks).

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
so wait is tennis like the only sport on earth where communicating with your coach during the game isn't a thing, or?

sorry but if that's the case that's ludicrous to me. sounds like some hokey uber-traditionalist bull****, like national league fans hating the designated hitter because they love 2-1 baseball games (even though they almost always benefit from it when playing in american league parks).

Chess is another game I can think of where in-game strategy isnt allowed, though not really a sport. And it's not even illegal all levels of tennis. For instance, it was perfectly legal in high school for my coach to come over during a change and offer advice (slice to his backhand, etc..), and it's legal in the NCAA as well. I agree though, it's a dumb rule. The logic is that strategy and the mental side is inherent to the game, and I do understand that argument, but I just think they either need to crack down hard or kill the rule. As for the DH, it's a bastardization of baseball that removes much strategy from the game, I'll never yield on that point.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Chess is another game I can think of where in-game strategy isnt allowed, though not really a sport. And it's not even illegal all levels of tennis. For instance, it was perfectly legal in high school for my coach to come over during a change and offer advice (slice to his backhand, etc..), and it's legal in the NCAA as well. I agree though, it's a dumb rule. The logic is that strategy and the mental side is inherent to the game, and I do understand that argument, but I just think they either need to crack down hard or kill the rule. As for the DH, it's a bastardization of baseball that removes much strategy from the game, I'll never yield on that point.
i just hate the calls for removing the rule, in response to this. it seems so millenial:

"I HATE THE WAY THIS GAME IS PLAYED, IT'S DUMB, SO LET'S CHANGE THE RULES"

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
the designated hitter is older than 20% of mlb franchises.

but it's a "bastardization."

listen do something about those two teams in florida that average fewer fans per game than the worst nhl and nba teams then i'll entertain more DH debate.

t r a d i t i o n

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Soccer I don’t believe they allow sideline coaching either. Maybe it’s only an American belief everything should be coached in game.

I agree with BG on the DH, but unfortunately we’re heading to a world where the DH will be inevitable for the NL since pitchers are no longer taught to hit or even bunt on any level of baseball (the DH exists everywhere else). The only ones that can are converted hitters and now Ohtani wannabes. At least twenty years ago pitchers could be semi competitive at the plate and knew how to bunt.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
That's not a very good way to support your position. Maybe if it was 80% that would be something.

how about it's also used throughout the minors, college, high school, and in most international leagues?

the national league and the central league in japan are exceptions, not the norm.

In baseball, the designated hitter rule is the common name for Major League Baseball Rule 5.11,[1] adopted by the American League in 1973. The rule allows teams to have one player, known as the designated hitter (or DH), to bat in place of the pitcher. Since 1973, most collegiate, amateur, and professional leagues have adopted the rule or some variant.[2] MLB's National League and Nippon Professional Baseball's Central League are the most prominent professional leagues that do not use a designated hitter.[3]
A designated hitter reduces the need for late-inning pinch-hitters.[4]

Designated hitter - Wikipedia

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
the designated hitter is older than 20% of mlb franchises.

but it's a "bastardization."

listen do something about those two teams in florida that average fewer fans per game than the worst nhl and nba teams then i'll entertain more DH debate.

t r a d i t i o n

As opposed to the new age way of babying pitchers at every turn - can’t face a lineup more than twice, can’t throw more than 100 pitches in a game or x number of innings in a season, and now can’t hit or run the bases. What’s next, outlawing breaking balls? No position in sports including NFL QB is babied more than the modern pitcher who by the way at least had to face the music at the plate when he went headhunting. Now they can headhunt on the mound and hide behind the DH a la Clemens.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I agree with BG on the DH, but unfortunately we’re heading to a world where the DH will be inevitable for the NL since pitchers are no longer taught to hit or even bunt on any level of baseball (the DH exists everywhere else). The only ones that can are converted hitters and now Ohtani wannabes.

I agree with you, but not your reasoning. I think the DH will be inevitable because pitchers make a TON of money & owners dont want them getting hurt. Similar to how they've changed NFL rules to prevent quarterbacks from getting hurt.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I agree with you, but not your reasoning. I think the DH will be inevitable because pitchers make a TON of money & owners dont want them getting hurt. Similar to how they've changed NFL rules to prevent quarterbacks from getting hurt.

It’s a cause and effect, pitchers hurt themselves on the bases and at the plate more cause hitting and running are no longer something they’re trained to do. People still complain about Chien-Mien Wang. The irony is because of the decreasing # of innings pitchers throw you’re basically talking about one or two AB’s a night at most. But that’s too strenuous.

And Ohtani got hurt PITCHING so I don’t see the relevance of the above. You can’t prevent actual pitching injuries - which are like 95% of the reason pitchers wind up on the DL. But sure let’s eliminate the five percent of mostly non serious injuries, that’ll fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad