OT: The Thread About Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
As of 8:51 this morning, Dare County in the OBX has issued a mandatory evacuation for everyone there.

The NHC has projected Florence to hit SE NC as a Major Hurricane (Cat 4 or higher, 130+ MPH winds). Some models have it being a category 5 with pressure's as low as 902 mb as it comes into contact with NC and OBX.

There is no way this area will be able to withstand that type of storm for as long as it is being projected to stay there. We could see the total destruction of OBX and the eastern shores of NC.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
As of 8:51 this morning, Dare County in the OBX has issued a mandatory evacuation for everyone there.

The NHC has projected Florence to hit SE NC as a Major Hurricane (Cat 4 or higher, 130+ MPH winds). Some models have it being a category 5 with pressure's as low as 902 mb as it comes into contact with NC and OBX.

There is no way this area will be able to withstand that type of storm for as long as it is being projected to stay there. We could see the total destruction of OBX and the eastern shores of NC.

Yeah looks like it is a bad time. Sucks about OBX, I use to go there all of the time.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Yeah looks like it is a bad time. Sucks about OBX, I use to go there all of the time.

I've never been there, but have always wanted to go. I've heard nothing but great things about it. It is sad that they are going to go through this.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
The horses will get through it somehow. They always do
if they swim, they turn into this
Black_Sea_fauna_Seahorse.JPG

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
sorry, getting back to the joke of the WTA

US Open 2018: Serena Williams' claims of sexism backed by WTA

WTA chief executive Steve Simon said the umpire showed Williams a different level of tolerance over Saturday's outbursts than if she had been a man.

"The WTA believes that there should be no difference in the standards of tolerance provided to the emotions expressed by men versus women," Simon said in a statement.

"We do not believe that this was done last night."

Camille the Eel

Yes a joke because besides the point. Assuming that Williams was penalized under a double standard (and there’s doubt about that, because this ref has been equally hard on guys like Nadal) . . . But, meanwhile even assuming that, does the WTA support her behavior on the court on Saturday?

How can a sports governing body overlook her tantrums, disruption, accusations and actions, her attack’s (nearly physical by gesture) on the referee? This was far more serious than anything she suffered. It totally disrupted the match and that was totally her fault. If every time an athlete disagrees with a call they are entitled to stop things and curse and gesture at the refs? I don’t see how the WTA can be silent about that. It goes far more to the integrity of the game than anything Williams suffered.

The politicization of this is quite depressing.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Yes a joke because besides the point. Assuming that Williams was penalized under a double standard (and there’s doubt about that, because this ref has been equally hard on guys like Nadal) . . . But, meanwhile even assuming that, does the WTA support her behavior on the court on Saturday?

How can a sports governing body overlook her tantrums, disruption, accusations and actions, her attack’s (nearly physical by gesture) on the referee? This was far more serious than anything she suffered. It totally disrupted the match and that was totally her fault. If every time an athlete disagrees with a call they are entitled to stop things and curse and gesture at the refs? I don’t see how the WTA can be silent about that. It goes far more to the integrity of the game than anything Williams suffered.

The politicization of this is quite depressing.

Money runs everything. It’s pretty sick to realize this more and more. I wouldn’t be surprised if entire major sports are rigged.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
he's been match penaltied before

He got match penaltied at the Australian Open on his third warning, the same one where Serena got the game penalty yesterday so the rule was a little different at that time. And McEnroe himself admits he's said worse things to refs than Serena did.

The WTA's gutless but considering most of the establishment is behind Serena not sure how far out on a limb they really could go. They probably would have just been better off saying nothing and letting it die with their weak fine.

Reactions: OmNomNom

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
You know, the thing about the Serena nonsense that pisses me off the most (besides ruining the biggest moment of a young girls life) is the ridiculous victim card she plays. I'm sorry, you can't play the double standard card when you are top 1% of Americans in income. Her antics are not bringing attention to a cause, they are distracting from a real cause. I have certainly seen this double standard between men and women in workplaces in the past. It certainly is a a problem. Some coddled multimillionaire complaining that there is a double standard because she is a women and a mom is exactly the kind of thing that will make people apathetic to the real problem.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
people need to take race and gender out of the equation and think about it (unless it's blatantly racist/sexist). You play the game by these rules

when someone as big as Billie Jean King says that everyone should be allowed to talk to their coaches, though... that's how we got into this mess anyway. Don't like the game? LET ME CHANGE THE RULES

I think the catsuit incident got people a lot more sensitive with sexism towards Serena.

That and WTA really really REALLY wanted to sell this Open as her big come back to break the record, yadda yadda. They didn’t want to sell Osaka’s victory.

So in a sense everyone is throwing a tantrum for not getting the result.

The question people need to ask themselves is if the roles were reversed and the Ump did this to Osaka in the final. Would everyone be reacting the same way? I highly doubt it.

Camille the Eel

well I just think you have to act like a pro. Especially when you are a champion. I have no problem with the WTA commenting on a double standard - but I have a huge problem why them giving her a free pass for her extremely unprofessional and distasteful behavior. Her actions were by far the worst thing about the incident.

How in the workd do you make an official comment about this incident and not mention her behavior on the court.

“Sexism” isn’t an excuse to act that way. The powers that be shouldn’t have given her a free pass on it.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The whole thing is ridiculous, right down to her saying it's sexism because, "no man has received a violation for calling an ump a thief".

I'm sure that's true of course, but I'll also bet no man has received a violation for calling an ump a platypus either, because nobody has ever called an ump that word either.

The reality is Serena Williams is not used to getting her azz kicked, and she wasnt just beaten the other day, she was bludgeoned - and her spoiled ego couldn't handle it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Meh the acting like a pro thing I am not buying.

Make athletics throw tantrums all the time, and the media usually doesn’t frame them in the way that they are “out of control”.

Champions act really entitled, it isn’t news. Lebron does it, Shaq cursed a ref out live in an interview.

I have bigger problems with the crowd going into business for themselves and how snivvling WTA’s response was.

My other problem is this is all really anecdotal. One side saying the men don’t get punished with penalties with an outburst as much as women do, while others are saying well Nadal did one and etc.

Hard time being sold either way unless someone does an actual study and proves one way or another it is lopsided.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The whole thing is ridiculous, right down to her saying it's sexism because, "no man has received a violation for calling an ump a thief".

I'm sure that's true of course, but I'll also bet no man has received a violation for calling an ump a platypus either, because nobody has ever called an ump that word either.

The reality is Serena Williams is not used to getting her azz kicked, and she wasnt just beaten the other day, she was bludgeoned - and her spoiled ego couldn't handle it.

I am inclined to believe this is simply what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad