OT: The Thread About Nothing: Party like it's 199

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Be ready to hear all sorts of panic tomorrow, becuase the GFS (which most US based media use) just went farther out to sea (like the Euro), BUT then does a button hook back into Jersey, much like Sandy.

Nevermind that this might just be the START of the model caving to the Euro's full-blown harmless out to sea solution (and thus be WRONG about the eventual button hook), I guarantee they'll be talking about the button curl back to Jersey just so they can get people INSANE and worked up that Sandy Part 2 is coming.

TRANSLATION: If you live near the shore and need gas or groceries, get them early to mid-day tomorrow (i.e. today), not because you'll probably need them, but because I sadly think that by 5pm tomorrow the media will loathsomely be having people needlessly panicking and in tears thinking Sandy 2.0 is going to destroy the Jersey Shore.

What if they are right though.

Better to be prepared, the storm is extremely unpredictable at this point and a Cat 3.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Be ready to hear all sorts of panic tomorrow, becuase the GFS (which most US based media use) just went farther out to sea (like the Euro), BUT then does a button hook back into Jersey, much like Sandy.

Nevermind that this might just be the START of the model caving to the Euro's full-blown harmless out to sea solution (and thus be WRONG about the eventual button hook), I guarantee they'll be talking about the button curl back to Jersey just so they can get people INSANE and worked up that Sandy Part 2 is coming.

TRANSLATION: If you live near the shore and need gas or groceries, get them early to mid-day tomorrow (i.e. today), not because you'll probably need them, but because I sadly think that by 5pm tomorrow the media will loathsomely be having people needlessly panicking and in tears thinking Sandy 2.0 is going to destroy the Jersey Shore.

Ugh I can't get to the store until it gets insane on Friday.

Hopefully it follows the Euro because otherwise it would be a disaster.

Still with all the rain we are already going to get. Even if it brushes by there will be a decent amount of local flooding. Obviously take that over the worst case but it won't be completely harmless.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What if they are right though.

Better to be prepared, the storm is extremely unpredictable at this point and a Cat 3.

There really is no right or wrong yet. Most good forecasters have made a point to be clear there is a ton of uncertainty with this storm's track.

The Euro might win and we can all breath but it's better to be a little safe then sorry at least at the moment. Tomorrow should hopefully shed some more light on what to expect.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Follow Gary Szatkowski on twitter. He's a meteorologist for the NWS. He's always on point with his interpretations of the weather models and stresses how nothing can be certain.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
This storm is currently stronger than Sandy was at the same point in time.

It could end of being the strongest storm our generation has ever been through.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
This storm is currently stronger than Sandy was at the same point in time.

It could end of being the strongest storm our generation has ever been through.

Which will stink for all the tuna that will be rained on out in the Atlantic.

Stop buying into the media hype. Despite what the media is telling you at the moment for ratings and hysteria, this storm now has a very high probability of going out to sea.

Not only is it not "going to rain all weekend" and not only is a "MAJOR HURRICANE" likely not going to "HIT NEW JERSEY", I think there's a better chance this weekend may be somewhat pleasant.

<---- Still loathes the media

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Which will stink for all the tuna that will be rained on out in the Atlantic.

Stop buying into the media hype. Despite what the media is telling you at the moment for ratings and hysteria, this storm now has a very high probability of going out to sea.

Not only is it not "going to rain all weekend" and not only is a "MAJOR HURRICANE" likely not going to "HIT NEW JERSEY", I think there's a better chance this weekend may be somewhat pleasant.

<---- Still loathes the media

And this was what was said right before Sandy decided to make a left. Better to be overprepared than underprepared.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
And this was what was said right before Sandy decided to make a left. Better to be overprepared than underprepared.

Thing is the model that predicted early that Sandy would make its crazy turn towards Jersey was the Euro, and that is the model saying this thing is going far out to sea.

That said it isn't infallible as it also predicted we were going to get that gigantic snow storm last year that went up to Boston instead.

Edit: That said most are still confident that even if it stays well off shore, we are still in for a significant rain event this weekend. It should be quite wet so don't drive into flooded roads (why people try this I will never know)

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

I don't remember that.

I remember the mood being somber at a bar the Friday before the storm, everyone was talking about preparing for it.

The media and most forecasters were wrong though in their blizzard predictions this past winter, we barely got a snowflake and they predicted 2 to 3 feet.

I don't trust this current storm, it keeps wiggling and if it wiggles left at some point it could be extremely devastating to New Jersey.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

That's a different scenario though.

With Sandy, one model (the best one) perfectly showed it walloping NJ/NY, the rest of the models all showed it out to sea. So it wasnt a complete shock.

This time, there isn't even one model any longer showing a NJ hit. Even the GFS (the model that showed the scary NJ strike yesterday) is trending out to sea now. Yet the media is still panicking people.

Could this all change and NJ gets hit? Well, sure. The Yankees could lose the next 4 games and miss the playoffs too, but at the moment that isn't a likely scenario.

The below shows the 20 runs that comprise the GFS operational run. There is only 1 of the 20 runs that shows a NJ hit, which is a 5% chance (i.e. 95% chance it's not happening). The Euro model which is generally more accurate and has 51 runs, doesn't have a single one showing a NJ strike (0%). Yet panic us the media must.

GEFS.jpg

Last edited:

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
The Euro has obliterated the forecasting capabilities of the other 26 models for the last 5 years or so. But I say that because all of these models are built on probability algorithms and are only as good as the data they're being fed.

I roll my eyes at Congress because they struck down funding that would help meteorologists build a computer to handle the data that can't currently be computed by current models.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The Euro has obliterated the forecasting capabilities of the other 26 models for the last 5 years or so. But I say that because all of these models are built on probability algorithms and are only as good as the data they're being fed.

I roll my eyes at Congress because they struck down funding that would help meteorologists build a computer to handle the data that can't currently be computed by current models.

Not sure where you're getting that from.

The GFS and a few other American weather models were just upgraded very recently at the cost of millions of dollars, all approved by Congress, and the models all still stink compared to the European suite.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/news/2015/013015.html

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Not sure where you're getting that from.

The GFS and a few other American weather models were just upgraded very recently at the cost of millions of dollars, all approved by Congress, and the models all still stink compared to the European suite.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/news/2015/013015.html

Oh, I stand corrected. The last time I heard, meteorologists were screaming at congress for the money. With this Congress, I'm shocked that it was funded.

I'm having a bad day:cry::laugh:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Oh.... what do you know.... our National Weather Service at 11pm has FINALLY adjusted their predicted Hurricane Joaquim track to go harmlessly way far out to sea.

And we spend millions on these clowns.

Weather_tools.jpg

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Oh.... what do you know.... our National Weather Service at 11pm has FINALLY adjusted their predicted Hurricane Joaquim track to go harmlessly way far out to sea.

And we spend millions on these clowns.

Weather_tools.jpg

****….im not even american and i use this resource all the time!…….and ya, im pissed off.

wanted some rain on monday so i could get some **** done at home and not have to go to work

…and now a deviation on the forecast……

**** them all……its a roll of the dice it seems…….i too can play the prognostocate guy,.,,,,,

100% chance of my hopes up and crushed ….just like that

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My uncle, who is 61 years old and pretty miserable, keeps telling me a big cat 4 or 5 will hit the Tampa/St Pete/Gulf coast. Every year we're supposed to get this big one according to him.

He also claims that he lives in Las Vegas because he's safe from hurricanes, unlike in Jersey and Florida. In reality, he's envious that I live here and he's stuck out there. He's always wanted to move here, even before I was born. I actually started vacationing here because I started going with him when I was younger. He had friends here, who he would visit. I've always told him he's welcome to move here with me, not that I would be too excited about it. He always declines though.

Just a couple months ago he told me New Jersey was getting another Sandy this year, luckily I haven't had the opportunity of speaking with him in the last couple days. He would have said ''See! I told you! This is what I told you would happen! It's happening now!'':shakehead

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Hey dudes and gals. If you guys are interested and have a television, I am gonna be on The Voice this Monday. If you wanna see a Devils fan sing, nows your chance.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Hey dudes and gals. If you guys are interested and have a television, I am gonna be on The Voice this Monday. If you wanna see a Devils fan sing, nows your chance.

Now how in sam hill are we going to know who you are?

edit: Better yet, do you get picked??

Last edited:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Son can you play me a memory, I'm not really sure how it goes....

Good stuff

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Cool. Normally I'd rather pull my finger nails out with rusted tweezers than watch that, but I'll DVR it to catch you. :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille