OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sounds like my last computer. After it ran for like an hour it sounded like it was powering up to blast off into space.
Mine don't make much noise. I don't even hear the fan running on it, when it starts to get hot. I don't even know if it has a fan?

It just starts lagging, running really slow, freezing for 30-60 seconds at a time. And if I let it idle for more than a couple minutes? Forget about it. It runs like it's not running at all, once I get back to it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I've had some chest pains for the last few days. Thought it was a heart condition because I have family history. After a battery of tests, it turns out I have....acid reflux.

I get really bad heartburn sometimes, almost feels like what I’d assume is a heart attack. I know to stay away from certain foods now. It sucks when it happens. Oddly enough one of the foods that doesn’t but isn’t what you’d expect (greasy, spicy, etc) is Chobani Greek yogurt. No other brands do it but Chobani messes me up.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I get really bad heartburn sometimes, almost feels like what I’d assume is a heart attack. I know to stay away from certain foods now. It sucks when it happens. Oddly enough one of the foods that doesn’t but isn’t what you’d expect (greasy, spicy, etc) is Chobani Greek yogurt. No other brands do it but Chobani messes me up.
It seems like caffeine is the big trigger for me. I usually have 1-3 coffees a day and iced tea is my drink of choice for casual sipping. I've been trying to cut down because my mother has been dealing with kidney stones the past 2-3 years and I know my grandpa had them as well. I don't want to go through that and hers seem to be connected with caffeine.

It hit me in the shower on Saturday. I almost called an ambulance because I thought it might have been a heart attack. But I wasn't lightheaded, dizzy, weak, nauseous, and the pain wasn't severe. More uncomfortable than anything really. Pain in my arm, too. It never got worse, so I self medicated with aspirin hoping it would go away on it's own. Never did, so I called the doctor this morning. She gave me nitroglycerin just in case, since I do have a family history. But the EKG looked beautiful and my lipid panel was sparkling.

I had heartburn issues when I was younger, but going to college and changing my diet seemed to put a stop to that. The constant caffeine binge that is grad school seems to be bringing back my worst habits.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Somehow today my boss and I got to talking about fishing. She just couldn't understand the draw. So she asked why I like it so much, and what the point is if you're not keeping anything. One part was easy to describe: When I'm fishing, particularly in a creek in the middle of the woods, I feel more at peace with everything than I do anywhere else. The second part is, I don't know, "the call of the wild" maybe? It's kind of an inexplicable draw to nature, or the unknown. Not knowing what is around the next bend, or what could be lurking in the next pool. It's like an unseen force is pulling you constantly upstream begging you to cast along that undercut bank. But as I'm explaining this, I'm thinking, from her perspective, this must sound pretty stupid. I'm not sure I can adequately explain it, but I get the feeling that it's just something that you have or you don't.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yeah, caffeine tends to trigger mine as well, which is why I've tried to cut back on it in recent months. I'm usually okay with a coffee or two, or a can of pop a day but anything more than that and it can get uncomfortable. Thankfully I don't drink as much caffeine as I did in my 20's, because back then I would have been one irritable son of a bitch if I had to cut back on it.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Somehow today my boss and I got to talking about fishing. She just couldn't understand the draw. So she asked why I like it so much, and what the point is if you're not keeping anything. One part was easy to describe: When I'm fishing, particularly in a creek in the middle of the woods, I feel more at peace with everything than I do anywhere else. The second part is, I don't know, "the call of the wild" maybe? It's kind of an inexplicable draw to nature, or the unknown. Not knowing what is around the next bend, or what could be lurking in the next pool. It's like an unseen force is pulling you constantly upstream begging you to cast along that undercut bank. But as I'm explaining this, I'm thinking, from her perspective, this must sound pretty stupid. I'm not sure I can adequately explain it, but I get the feeling that it's just something that you have or you don't.
It is what you make of it. My grandfather was into fishing because it gave him something to do with his kids and grandkids. I did it with my uncle and grandfather because they let me start drinking with them around 13 not to mention it was something I did with them almost every weekend.

Fishing is one of those love them or hate them things. Like golf. And then some people do it just to get drunk. Also like golf.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

A lot of women love to sunbathe. I'll never understand the draw of sitting in a chair and letting the sun just beat down on you and sweating your ass off.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It is what you make of it. My grandfather was into fishing because it gave him something to do with his kids and grandkids. I did it with my uncle and grandfather because they let me start drinking with them around 13 not to mention it was something I did with them almost every weekend.

Fishing is one of those love them or hate them things. Like golf. And then some people do it just to get drunk. Also like golf.

That's a bit different, though. It's much easier to explain to someone why you enjoy spending time with your grandchildren or why you like to drink. If you are using it as a means to accomplish a goal like that, the explanation is more relatable. But the act of fishing itself, and why I like it so much, is much more difficult to communicate.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's kind of the same with me and hunting. A lot of times I don't care if I even get anything, it's just relaxing to be out in the middle of nowhere, even if it involves trudging miles through fields or getting up at 3 AM to go out and set up decoys in 20 degree temperatures. Granted, where I live the "middle of nowhere" is like a half hour drive outside of town.:laugh:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It seems like caffeine is the big trigger for me. I usually have 1-3 coffees a day and iced tea is my drink of choice for casual sipping. I've been trying to cut down because my mother has been dealing with kidney stones the past 2-3 years and I know my grandpa had them as well. I don't want to go through that and hers seem to be connected with caffeine.

It hit me in the shower on Saturday. I almost called an ambulance because I thought it might have been a heart attack. But I wasn't lightheaded, dizzy, weak, nauseous, and the pain wasn't severe. More uncomfortable than anything really. Pain in my arm, too. It never got worse, so I self medicated with aspirin hoping it would go away on it's own. Never did, so I called the doctor this morning. She gave me nitroglycerin just in case, since I do have a family history. But the EKG looked beautiful and my lipid panel was sparkling.

I had heartburn issues when I was younger, but going to college and changing my diet seemed to put a stop to that. The constant caffeine binge that is grad school seems to be bringing back my worst habits.
Had a real bad dizzy spell a month ago, which I think then triggered an anxiety attack. I thought I was a goner. Went to the hospital to make sure the heart was OK and everything seems fine. Though I did continue to feel a bit off here and there for a couple weeks.

My self diagnosis is too much drinking, followed by Caffeine. So I cut back considerably on both(though I was only a cup a day coffee guy, that one cup would tweak me out pretty good).

I look at episodes like that as my body trying to tell me to change things up. At 42 it's a good time to start watching my health a bit better, so that's what I'm trying to do. But it is not easy to avoid the booze. Opportunities to drink are everywhere.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
has anyone else’s iphone been doing some weird autocorrecting over the past week or so? it keeps changing ‘it’ to ‘i.t’ for me, and there is no way to fix it other than going back and changing every time i type i.t. IT. jesus. i even set up a shortcut in the keyboard settings, but it’s not working

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It's kind of the same with me and hunting. A lot of times I don't care if I even get anything, it's just relaxing to be out in the middle of nowhere, even if it involves trudging miles through fields or getting up at 3 AM to go out and set up decoys in 20 degree temperatures.

Same. It's peaceful and you see things in nature you'd never normally get to see. Last October or November I was in a field, and I saw a coyote come out high on a ridge stalking the stream-bed below looking for mice, rabbits, ground hogs or what have you. He then stood in the field I was in in the sunshine for almost 30 minutes like a statue and listening for movement. It's things like that you'd never get to see just going on a hike, etc...

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Some people just see the outdoors as a burden, an obstacle to be overcame... I find that sad personally but I figure the less people in the woods or on the water the better ;)

But as far as fishing, I have found women really respond to fly fishing and almost equally to fly tying.

My wife keeps a fly rod in her car and regularly gives lessons to women who say *I don't get the draw". She always appeals to the artisty and elagance of casting a fly rod, almost as if it were a dance and women seem to really respond to it.

But there is something so magical in watching a fish eat a dry fly. In fact, I don't know anyone that has experienced it that didn't get some level of satisfaction from it. Even non fishermen get excited when they see a fish rise, a striper or blue blitzing bait or really any preditory behavior... hell they have a whole shark week on TV :)

Last edited:

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I think for some people, they got a bad taste for fishing when they were younger. My dad was a big fisherman growing up, and sometimes I had to go with him, and it was boring. I wanted to jump my bike off ramps or play video games or something.

Now though, nothing sounds better than standing on a boat in the sun and throwing a line out for fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad