OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Remember when the History Channel showed history?

History Channel (HC) used to be one of my favorite channels. Sure, it was a little WWII top-heavy, but at least it was history.

A few HC shows like American Pickers, you can learn some history from, but that's almost run its' course, as they focus WAY TOO MUCH on the same items over-and-over again. There's only so many oil cans & motorcycle parts I can watch you purchase before I turn the channel.

If you like history, American Heroes Channel (AHC) is way better than HC. It's a little WWI & WWII top-heavy, but at least it shows history.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is how I fish most of the time.

IMG_20170924_150226_zpss9xtvjiq.jpg

Reactions: JK3

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I just read the iPhone 10 came out today; it's 2017, and people are STILL falling for this scam?

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Is anyone else here being redirected to scammy "claim your prize" or "your phone has a virus" websites from HF? It happens at least once nearly every time I've visited this site on my phone the last couple weeks (it only happens on HF).

Reactions: tr83

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Is anyone else here being redirected to scammy "claim your prize"

It happened to me a few days ago from my desktop computer while on HFBoards with Chrome. Only happened once. I immediately ran a malware check and it came up empty.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Is anyone else here being redirected to scammy "claim your prize" or "your phone has a virus" websites from HF? It happens at least once nearly every time I've visited this site on my phone the last couple weeks (it only happens on HF).

Yes to the virus one. Says I need to download something from Apple and use it for the next 4 weeks... seriously, how do they not shut these people down.

Reactions: Darkauron

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yes to the virus one. Says I need to download something from Apple and use it for the next 4 weeks... seriously, how do they not shut these people down.

It is an absolute joke that they let such ads allowed on this site. It is the shadiest and worst of the worst kind of ads. They should be ashamed of for allowing this.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Are those actual advertisements? It seems more like a browser hijack.

I would assume it’s something like what you just mentioned since I also got the one last week which was nude pictures for some new website. Only happened on HFboards tho.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Those ads started here for me as well but I am getting them in other places now... hockey reference also.

It's Amazon, Walmart and Virus alert all behaving in the same way. Looks like an ad redirect. I tried cleaning my cache and deleting data but it's still happening. Going to have read up on it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
has anyone else’s iphone been doing some weird autocorrecting over the past week or so? it keeps changing ‘it’ to ‘i.t’ for me, and there is no way to fix it other than going back and changing every time i type i.t. IT. jesus. i even set up a shortcut in the keyboard settings, but it’s not working

Mine just started changing I to an exclamation point and a square on this forum.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I installed the one you recommended a few weeks ago (uBlock Origin) I think? It works pretty well.

Good call! It's a treat! Also, sadly necessary on some sites (Like this one). Bigger operations put more effort into integrating their ads with user experience - Facebook, for example, doesn't give you full-page popups, because they know people would complain and possibly leave. Smaller operations don't have that luxury, and will take whatever pays the best.

So I just figured out I can circumvent my companies blocked website list my using the Wayback machine.

Feels good.

Oldest trick in the book, and a good one as well! Thumbs up!

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Use ad-blockers! It's for your own (internet) safety! Seriously!

I use No-Script and that works pretty well. Nothing runs unless I want it to.

Are those actual advertisements? It seems more like a browser hijack.

I've seen it happen on a few other sites too. They are essentially clickjacking you, but they are indeed ads, so someone must be paying for them. Damned if I know why though.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Is it?

Awwww man.... it just dawned on me as something to try, and it actually worked; so I thought I stumbled on the "e-circumventing" version of E=MC^2.

Well, not the oldest, but a fairly well-known one. If it makes you feel better, like 99% of the population doesn't know to do that, so you're still in the upper echelon! :)

archive.is is another good resource for similar. The downside of this stuff is that it requires people to actually archive the links before you can find them - so you might find some resources aren't available yet, or at all. And if there was an update to a link after it being archived, that won't show up either, unless someone archived it (again) with the update.

Here's a decent article on how this is all made: https://lifehacker.com/the-best-tools-to-archive-web-pages-1794802605

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
It could be useful for a fast moving thread, where what you're saying could have been posted by someone else already. But most of the time it does seem useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad