It's time to start another batch of bacon:

32943949_10116885527110204_260906953855729664_o.jpg

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
nice

do you smoke it?

Cure and smoke. The curing process takes 13 to 15 days, then I smoke it with a combo of apple and hickory wood chips.

This was a 13 lb. belly. Tried a couple classic flavors: Maple Brown Sugar, Brown Sugar, but I also tried a couple very experimental flavors. Hot Pepper Jelly Honey, Mango Pineapple Orange Blossom Honey. Should be an interesting batch.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Cure and smoke. The curing process takes 13 to 15 days, then I smoke it with a combo of apple and hickory wood chips.

This was a 13 lb. belly. Tried a couple classic flavors: Maple Brown Sugar, Brown Sugar, but I also tried a couple very experimental flavors. Hot Pepper Jelly Honey, Mango Pineapple Orange Blossom Honey. Should be an interesting batch.

awesome

i use apple and cherry wood for my stuff but i do it in jan/feb in the back smokehouse part of the shop

would love to hear how the experimental batch turns out

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
awesome

i use apple and cherry wood for my stuff but i do it in jan/feb in the back smokehouse part of the shop

would love to hear how the experimental batch turns out

Will do.

I've always found fruit woods on their own to be a bit too light to really stand up to the saltiness and assertiveness of bacon. That's why I mix in a bit of hickory.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
dont get me started on why alaska owns half the west coast south on that sliver of land

I few years ago I rode the lift up at Smuggler's Notch with a guy from Ottawa. He went on about how central Vermont through central New Hampshire and a good chunk of Maine should be Canada's, and he seemed genuinely annoyed that northern Vermont wasn't a part of Canada (because of all the great ski mountains).

The history lesson was interesting, but I found his passion and near anger a bit odd (and frightening).

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I few years ago I rode the lift up at Smuggler's Notch with a guy from Ottawa. He went on about how central Vermont through central New Hampshire and a good chunk of Maine should be Canada's, and he seemed genuinely annoyed that northern Vermont wasn't a part of Canada (because of all the great ski mountains).

The history lesson was interesting, but I found his passion and near anger a bit odd (and frightening).

im not angry at all about the severance …..im just a heavy cartography guy

my 'office' has a bunch of old maps on the wall……….one i found interesting was a dutch one with the North arrow pointed left on the map.

beautiful interpretations of our world on many of them

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
In regards to Yanny or Laurel

The wife hears Yanny. To me it sounds like oral or coral, which I’m under the assumption that it’s Laurel. I’ve seen some things that suggest that a lot of women hear Yanny, while a lot of men are hearing Laurel. Something with the way in which we hear tones. Unfortunately, my hearing has aged much faster than the rest of me after years of live music. My hearing is not unlike that of the average 50-60 year old and I’m just 35. When it’s quiet I can hear things spoken from a couple rooms away. That’s the bizarre thing. I find myself replying “What’s that?” and “Huh?” a lot. So depressing. I bet I could have deciphered Yanny when I had supreme audio when I was a bit more youthful.

Reactions: Darkauron

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In regards to Yanny or Laurel

The wife hears Yanny. To me it sounds like oral or coral, which I’m under the assumption that it’s Laurel. I’ve seen some things that suggest that a lot of women hear Yanny, while a lot of men are hearing Laurel. Something with the way in which we hear tones. Unfortunately, my hearing has aged much faster than the rest of me after years of live music. My hearing is not unlike that of the average 50-60 year old and I’m just 35. When it’s quiet I can hear things spoken from a couple rooms away. That’s the bizarre thing. I find myself replying “What’s that?” and “Huh?” a lot. So depressing. I bet I could have deciphered Yanny when I had supreme audio when I was a bit more youthful.
You might need that thing that they have on those infomercials. That make sound more audible for those who are hard at hearing.

Remember where they had the older gentleman listening in that commercial. The grandkid and his wife (or maybe it was supposed to be his daughter) were like ''Look what we got grandpa! He'll love it!'' and they think he can't hear them, but he got that thing for his ear and he hears it and gets all excited.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Apologies if this has been a topic of conversation, but to the mods to consider passing along to the powers that be - for the past week or two I have been getting logged out of here very frequently, often within a minute or two after logging in. Not sure if it is a bug or kink that keeps occurring that is impacting others also, but just something to note.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Apologies if this has been a topic of conversation, but to the mods to consider passing along to the powers that be - for the past week or two I have been getting logged out of here very frequently, often within a minute or two after logging in. Not sure if it is a bug or kink that keeps occurring that is impacting others also, but just something to note.

If you are logging in through certain computers that have a lot of security software on it, your cookies may be getting erased.

When I access this site on certain computers, I'm logged in for about 5 minutes before I'm automatically logged out.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
im not angry at all about the severance …..im just a heavy cartography guy

my 'office' has a bunch of old maps on the wall……….one i found interesting was a dutch one with the North arrow pointed left on the map.

beautiful interpretations of our world on many of them

I LOVE old maps.

Should I ever win the lottery, that will be one of those, "silly rich person" purchases that I make, some 18th century maps of Colonial America.

The best ones were made by British military personnel.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Oh **** did someone say maps? I ****ing LOVE maps. Ive tried to make a few myself digitally.

I've done some pretty useful things will GOOG maps. I also find it's great for finding some relatively hidden outdoorsy things, like mountain biking trails and tree skiing.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
And speaking of GOOG maps, I never knew anything about the, "Your Timeline" feature until this week. I dont know if I'm the last person on earth to find this, but I definitely would have mentioned this in the recent, "creepy as hell technology" conversation, and had it near the top of the list.

Basically, GOOG knows EVERYWHERE you have been and stores it. If you go on vacation to California or Florida, etc... they know the dates you went, what hotel(s) you stayed at, where you ate, what entertainment spots you hit, they even log the driving route you took and how fast you drive!

I played with it for almost an hour & found it to be amazingly accurate. I only found 1 error - it claimed I've been to a place called Sheridan, Wyoming, and I've never been to Wyoming in my life. What seems to have happened is the phone picked up a "ping" on the decline in altitude / approach to SLC.

Anyway, it turns out your "location history" can be turned off, but I dont recall ever getting the option. And given what we already know about GOOG & FB etc... I doubt they even listen, they probably just keep it themselves but hide it from you so you think it's not being tracked. We'll learn that roughly 5 years from now!

Reactions: Darkauron

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
And speaking of GOOG maps, I never knew anything about the, "Your Timeline" feature until this week. I dont know if I'm the last person on earth to find this, but I definitely would have mentioned this in the recent, "creepy as hell technology" conversation, and had it near the top of the list.

Basically, GOOG knows EVERYWHERE you have been and stores it. If you go on vacation to California or Florida, etc... they know the dates you went, what hotel(s) you stayed at, where you ate, what entertainment spots you hit, they even log the driving route you took and how fast you drive!

I played with it for almost an hour & found it to be amazingly accurate. I only found 1 error - it claimed I've been to a place called Sheridan, Wyoming, and I've never been to Wyoming in my life. What seems to have happened is the phone picked up a "ping" on the decline in altitude / approach to SLC.

Anyway, it turns out your "location history" can be turned off, but I dont recall ever getting the option. And given what we already know about GOOG & FB etc... I doubt they even listen, they probably just keep it themselves but hide it from you so you think it's not being tracked. We'll learn that roughly 5 years from now!

it’s hilarious to me that people are so ridiculously concerned with their privacy, only to volunteer all of that privacy through their phone, alexa, and whatever else. I did have a girlfriend that once tracked me using the ‘find my iphone’ app, because she knew all my login stuff. that was a fun conversation to have

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
it’s hilarious to me that people are so ridiculously concerned with their privacy, only to volunteer all of that privacy through their phone, alexa, and whatever else. I did have a girlfriend that once tracked me using the ‘find my iphone’ app, because she knew all my login stuff. that was a fun conversation to have

Yikes...that's creepy. :laugh:

Reactions: BenedictGomez

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A few hours ago I broke off what would've been the biggest brown I ever caught. He was easily over 2ft. Broke him off right at my feet and two other people saw the fish.

I watched the fish feed on the opposite bank about 45 feet away for about an hour. He was nestled between two currents and I knew I couldn't sneek a cast between multiple currents 45 ft away without spooking him. After about an hour he slide to the inside seem and I made cast with a size #14 rusty spinner and he sipped it. The whole time I had no idea how big he was, I knew he was a nice fish but I had no idea he was that nice.

I honestly almost cried when that line popped. Back at it tomorrow but I won't get another opportunity like that for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad