OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just had a really bad senior moment. Memorial Day is usually busy at work, as I work for a small resort hotel. So I was thinking “Next
Monday is gonna be another busy one. It’s the 4th of July”.

Yikes! I guess I forgot June was a month!:eek:

Next Monday really is the 4th.... of June.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't even think I own a funnel.

I'm a pro at this. Somehow, I possess the skills to pour oil down my motor without spilling even a tiny bit of it.

In fact, this makes friends of mine jealous and if they are present, they will do things to try and throw me off and mess with my concentration. Occasionally they're able to, but I try to make sure no one's around when I'm changing oil!:D

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
It costs me like $20 and I enjoy the half hour or so I take to do it. Plus I know what products I'm using. I do see you're point though but I hate having to sit somewhere if i don't have to.
I was being sarcastic, I definitely get why people like to change their own. I look at it as I could spend some of the very precious non-work time I have to change my oil or I could kill two birds with one stone and go grocery shopping while my guy does it across the parking lot. One day I'll probably prefer to do it myself when I have a little more free time.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Seeing as you can't change floor mats in new cars without special tools and a licensed mechanic anymore, its one of the few things i am able to do that reminds me of my childhood with my Dad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aethon

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It costs me like $20 and I enjoy the half hour or so I take to do it. Plus I know what products I'm using. I do see you're point though but I hate having to sit somewhere if i don't have to.
Recently went to get my oil changed and, I didn't even park the car, they waved me right onto the lift. I was out of there in 5 minutes.

Unfortuneately since then my car, which has been an absolute rock for 15 years has begun giving me troubles. Broke down on the parkway a month or so ago, and just yesterday was overheating on me. I have a couple other issues on top of it.

Will knock these issues out, but I am wondering if the end is near.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I was being sarcastic, I definitely get why people like to change their own. I look at it as I could spend some of the very precious non-work time I have to change my oil or I could kill two birds with one stone and go grocery shopping while my guy does it across the parking lot. One day I'll probably prefer to do it myself when I have a little more free time.

No I get it. I like the peace and quiet of it too.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Car repair isn't bad if you have the right tools. It makes all the difference.

I still change the oil, filters, ignition coils, change the disk brakes, lights, and things like that. I won't touch anything involving belts. I'm lucky to have a gearhead for a BIL. He'll do almost anything except rebuild a tranny or engine

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I do all my own repairs, if possible, as well as changing oil/other fluids. I don't really like working on other people's stuff though.

Getting oil changed is cheap, but I really don't have $350-$500 bucks to pay them to replace my alternator or water pump, when I can do it myself in an hour and spend no more than $100 bucks on the part. And with this old 99 F-250 that I got (not my daily driver anymore), I've changed a couple of them each over the 275k+ miles that I've had it. The original alternator and water pumps both lasted close to 200k.

The hardest thing that I've ever done was a transmission, but I had a friend help me.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I do all my own repairs, if possible, as well as changing oil/other fluids. I don't really like working on other people's stuff though.

Getting oil changed is cheap, but I really don't have $350-$500 bucks to pay them to replace my alternator or water pump, when I can do it myself in an hour and spend no more than $100 bucks on the part. And with this old 99 F-250 that I got (not my daily driver anymore), I've changed a couple of them each over the 275k+ miles that I've had it. The original alternator and water pumps both lasted close to 200k.

The hardest thing that I've ever done was a transmission, but I had a friend help me.

As long as you have the tools as @tr83 mentioned, most of it is relatively just take off and replace. I'm still hesitant to do anything more involved than brakes and oil changes though.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I won't pour oil into the engine without a filter because I don't want to get any particulates that might be hiding on the rim into the engine. I also don't want to spill the oil (like on windy days) on or down the side of the engine block that could cause a fire.

I fixed the wiper fluid jets on my car about a month ago. Felt like a boss. It was literally pulling out one or two plastic bits and plugging new ones into the hoses. Still.

Now do the filters. The air filter is 4 screws and the cabin filter is usually folding down the glove compartment.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I won't pour oil into the engine without a filter because I don't want to get any particulates that might be hiding on the rim into the engine. I also don't want to spill the oil (like on windy days) on or down the side of the engine block that could cause a fire.

Now do the filters. The air filter is 4 screws and the cabin filter is usually folding down the glove compartment.

Maybe! It's a Volvo, though, which means almost everything is proprietary and a huge jerk. Even the stereo console isn't one of the standards.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
real men do not wear colonge
I hate cologne, I won't wear it. The smell gives me a headache and irritates me!

I just wear deodorant, but I have to switch it up once in a while because if I wear the same deodorant for months and months at a time, it loses its effectiveness and either stops working or doesn't work for the 24 hours that it's supposed. I can always go back to each brand or scent down the road and it will be efficient again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad