OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
All this sports betting stuff got me thinking, I almost forgot about it but my uncle went to jail for 3 months in the 70's after getting caught up in a numbers racket. He was a cook at the place they went to hang out and bet that got raided. They took care of my aunt while he was in, money and such, movie type stuff lol.
Damn!

Who took care of her with money while he was in jail? Are you talking like government help or help from the guys who ran this gambling ring?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i can't believe this website is free sometimes
I can’t believe I even discuss my personal life on this forum so much or post on it as much as I do. :laugh:

On another forum I used to frequent, some guy wouldn’t even discuss the schooling he went through for his occupation, because he claimed it was venturing close to too personal territory. So he asked that member PM him and that member was friends of his I guess, so he didn’t mind discussing it with her. The guy was a marine biologist, which he publicly stated, so I’m not sure why the privacy was needed about his schooling. Maybe he has online stalkers in his family that he’s cut off, like I may?

Then I discussed a story involving a friend of mine and a band he was working with (not Cage Helmet from this forum, another friend) and the story about the three non-Weiland STP members they met and how big of doosh bags they were. So immediately this guy is asking me “So what’s the name of the band your friend was with?”, which I was wasn’t gonna out, especially not to that guy.

Reactions: Darkauron

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I'm genuinely curious why the TaN exists and there's a whole separate OT thread for entertainment (Which I avoid for the most part).

At least in here, a conversation flows sorta naturally (I was talking about nerd culture, someone responded about anime, conversation turned to anime). Kinda awkward and tedious to, if I wanted to continue that conversation, go to a whole other thread with a whole other dynamic to continue it.

Anime is entertainment in movie and tv form correct? Then it goes into the entertainment thread which has movies, tv, music, books and video games, which encompasses a lot of nerd culture. If you post about anime and in there people will pick up the conversation (that whole conversation was moved there). The TaN is just random stuff that isn't about hockey and doesn't fit or necessarily need another separate thread and zero politics. A lot of topics in the TaN get discussed for a few posts or a page then it changes to something else an moves on. The anime, Star Wars, LOR and Avengers stuff went on for pages.

You know what's tedious? Reading through threads and threads of posts, deleting crap and keeping all them on track. This isn't directed at you but there's so much cross posting of topics on here, threads are getting derailed constantly, we're just trying to keep things tidy.

Reactions: njdevils1982

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Anime is entertainment in movie and tv form correct? Then it goes into the entertainment thread which has movies, tv, music, books and video games, which encompasses a lot of nerd culture. If you post about anime and in there people will pick up the conversation (that whole conversation was moved there). The TaN is just random stuff that isn't about hockey and doesn't fit or necessarily need another separate thread and zero politics. A lot of topics in the TaN get discussed for a few posts or a page then it changes to something else an moves on. The anime, Star Wars, LOR and Avengers stuff went on for pages.

You know what's tedious? Reading through threads and threads of posts, deleting crap and keeping all them on track. This isn't directed at you but there's so much cross posting of topics on here, threads are getting derailed constantly, we're just trying to keep things tidy.

but shouldn't the TAN not need to be monitored? this is where we throw all of our crap.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

just my 2 cents, but wouldn't it be easier to manage if some of these threads were consolidated? the OT threads, the out of town threads, etc?

Reactions: OmNomNom

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
like granted, it's bound to get cluttered if it were all thrown together, but sometimes the TAN is RELATED to anime/movie talk. like, is it really bothersome to the community if it's jumbled/do people care enough? is it worth the effort?

i'm not arguing that there aren't other threads, but it's like... if we have a container for red balls and a container for blue balls, but no one actually cares where the balls are put, do we really need 2 containers?

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
just my 2 cents, but wouldn't it be easier to manage if some of these threads were consolidated? the OT threads, the out of town threads, etc?

There are too many OT threads and the blaring red title doesn't help. I don't care about soccer, football or baseball at all especially on a hockey site. Other people do care though and if they were all combined people might not like it. The Out of Town Scoreboard is basically a GDT for games other than ours and the News Around the League is like our Devils General Discussion thread for the the other teams. We'll see what the other guys say about it.

Things were already cleaned up a bit, the sticky threads are limited with some combined, plus the post limit per thread is gone, I kinda liked the progression of seeing Part II, III and so on over time though. We had some massive GDT's that would have made it to part II or III.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There are too many OT threads and the blaring red title doesn't help. I don't care about soccer, football or baseball at all especially on a hockey site. Other people do care though and if they were all combined people might not like it. The Out of Town Scoreboard is basically a GDT for games other than ours and the News Around the League is like our Devils General Discussion thread for the the other teams. We'll see what the other guys say about it.

Things were already cleaned up a bit, the sticky threads are limited with some combined, plus the post limit per thread is gone, I kinda liked the progression of seeing Part II, III and so on over time though. We had some massive GDT's that would have made it to part II or III.

Plus some people hate megathreads as it is (I personally don't see the big deal, you click the blue dot to go to the last post and you're not going through 3500 posts to catch up to a discussion, just click the last few pages for crying out loud).

I kind of like things as it is, semi-specialized enough to have some seperation but not too much so where there's fifty different threads including one for every single player and coach. In the case of the entertainment thread though I'm not sure we NEED one considering there's only been 600+ posts in a year and a half of it but it doesn't matter to me, especially in the offseason. I kind of forgot it existed tbh, but that's cause I never really use it or this too much.

Reactions: JK3 and Darkauron

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I will say this place is much less cluttered than it was back in the day when we had 15 off topic threads at any given time. Keeping those on topic and distinct was basically imoissible.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Did you ever make an appointment for that stress test?:p:
It’s reccomended to be done when you’re 10 years younger than your parent who had their heart attack. I’ve still got a little more than five years to go. My dad was 50 years and almost 9 months when he had his. I live a much cleaner and healthier lifestyle than he did. My hearing might go by 50, though. It’s scary not knowing much about my dad’s biological family. Heart attacks at 50 or younger could he common in his bloodline. My dad wasn’t overweight, but was a moderate pack a day smoker and daily consumer of 6-12 beers per night. I’m hoping my abstinence from such toxins, keeping myself in good shape, a stress free job and excellent home life will combat any possible heart problems that could arise during a less than advanced age.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I drink a bit too much myself. But I do believe a couple beers/drink a night is a good thing. Thin the blood, relieve some stress.

On the other hand, it's a tight rope, and like I said, I do drink a bit too much. I have gotten better though.

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
Know that feeling. Trying to jump completely to being healthy but it's hard, especially after a crappy week - and it's only Wednesday!

Got in the habit every weekend and using it as a stress reliever.
Maybe just have to be smarter about what I drink to ease myself off instead of strong growth whiskey pours.

I've changed my diet though- cooking prepared meals and cutting out carbs and sugar, although cheat every now and again.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Do we have an OT thread dedicated to the most overrated shows ever?

giphy.gif

I'm speechless! I'm without speech!

Reactions: Billdo

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Just stumbled onto the fact that my alma mater now costs $59,100 per year. College costs really have become batcrap insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad