OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't let them have what they want, you got to play a little hard to get
I think that's fine to a point. Just be decisive and don't make them think you only wanna be friends or you'll be quickly banished to the dreaded friendship zone. Then you become their ''Girlfriend'' like one of their female friends. I had that happen about 192 times as a teenager.

When I say go for the kiss, I'm talking by the end of the date, not leading off with a kiss haha.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
basketball-kiss-cam-on-the-phone-shouting-couple-1420389585M.gif

How scripted can you get, pfffft

Reactions: Darkauron

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I think that's fine to a point. Just be decisive and don't make them think you only wanna be friends or you'll be quickly banished to the dreaded friendship zone. Then you become their ''Girlfriend'' like one of their female friends. I had that happen about 192 times as a teenager.

When I say go for the kiss, I'm talking by the end of the date, not leading off with a kiss haha.

There's multiple ways to show a girl you are interested without kissing her. If she wants it more then you do, you're doing it right, especially at the beginning. People get bored of things that are too easy

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Alright, we got dating coaching services here, Rocky enthisiast talk, fast food talk haha.

It's been a slow work day for me, can you tell? Usually I am unable to post heavily post during these hours.

Snowbird season is coming to an end!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's multiple ways to show a girl you are interested without kissing her. If she wants it more then you do, you're doing it right, especially at the beginning. People get bored of things that are too easy
Fair enough

But I think you gotta have a kiss before that first date/first hangout is over.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I've never gone to and refuse to go to smash burger because of their awful hipster commercial that was played during the Devils games one season.

I also refuse to eat a Chipotle because the owner was an obnoxious ass on this TV show America's next great restaurant I think was the name.

If you annoy me with your garbage advertising I'll never give you any money lol

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kiss her on the butt
That's a little too fast! If it escalates to that? That's cool. Just don't force things like that, I'd never advocate that.
there's no such thing as a friendzone lol
There doesn't have to be. It's usually just guys who pretend to be their friend, since they think it will increase their odds of getting the woman to change her mind after rejecting you. That's not right to do either. If you wanna be her friend, then be her friend. Accept that she doesn't see you as more. If you want more than that, don't accept the friendship. And of course, there's ways of doing that without being mean and calling her names.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nope lol, I call it lack of perseverance
There's plenty of other women to date (I should take my own advice on that one day), no use in getting hung up on someone who doesn't want you.

Actually, I originally read that as ''Persistence'' and not perseverance haha, so maybe we're thinking alike on this one?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Soooo re: the Rocky stuff, it's a good thing they didn't kill him off in V the way they wanted to cause Rocky Balboa and Creed were both pretty good films. Even though to a degree I look on Creed as a new-age version of the original Rocky I with the lost younger fighter finding his way with a wily old trainer and ex-fighter, and finding the girl of his dreams on the way lol.

Changing the ending probably did ruin Rocky V though (among other things), especially since the final fight was a street fight rather than a ring showdown, it was different but more anticlimactic.

I love all the Rocky films but I haven't watched one all the way through in a long time. Funny thing is when I was a kid I first saw Rocky IV before any of the others and I thought the Russian was an actual robot given the way he spoke, especially when they were pumping him with the PED's lol

Reactions: Bleedred

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Sure there is a thing called the friend zone lol. It goes both ways.. You can like a person but them not like you enough to date but enough for them to still value you as a friend. Ive had a few girls that have liked me but I didn't like them enough in the romantic sense, but still have a great friendship. It is just those people that get so hung up on it and being shallow.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
That bracket doesn't even have Checkers! Easily among the best "burgers" in fast food (For actual burgers in fast food, Checkers and Wendy's, ainec) and good other random foods. The "other random foods" are what ranks Sonic so high for me. Dem slushies

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Soooo re: the Rocky stuff, it's a good thing they didn't kill him off in V the way they wanted to cause Rocky Balboa and Creed were both pretty good films. Even though to a degree I look on Creed as a new-age version of the original Rocky I with the lost younger fighter finding his way with a wily old trainer and ex-fighter, and finding the girl of his dreams on the way lol.

Changing the ending probably did ruin Rocky V though (among other things), especially since the final fight was a street fight rather than a ring showdown, it was different but more anticlimactic.

I love all the Rocky films but I haven't watched one all the way through in a long time. Funny thing is when I was a kid I first saw Rocky IV before any of the others and I thought the Russian was an actual robot given the way he spoke, especially when they were pumping him with the PED's lol
Dolph Lundgren is the most famous Russian that's not really a Russian, due to that movie! He's really from Sweden haha. Since that's his most famous role, people probably refer to him as ''The Russian guy'' when they meet him, even though he isn't really Russian!

I kind of liked that Creed didn't really have many Rocky connections from the old movies, outside of Rocky himself. The only thing I didn't like it about it was that it makes Apollo an adulterer, since Adonis was conceived from an affair that he had, but I guess that needed to be the relevancy to why he was living in a boys home as a kid, before Apollo's wife adopted him. I was scared that Rocky was gonna die in the end of that film. He had that health scare in the movie. It was definitely original Rocky-esque. Rocky and Adonis also had the big blowout and shouting match where Adonis flips out on Rocky like the way Rocky did on Mick at his apartment in the original movie. And it has that love story angle to it, like you mentioned.

Speaking of PED's, looking at Stallone in Rocky's 1 and 2, then in 3 and 4 is a huge difference. He was really ripped in those two movies and probably did weigh his billed weight of 202 pounds or whatever it was and really low body fat. I think they said he had 2% or 3% body fat in Rocky 3, which is a far beyond unhealthy amount of body fat. Whereas in the first two, he was billed as 190 pounds or something, but he was probably 175-180 pounds with a modest amount of body fat.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Speaking of PED's, looking at Stallone in Rocky's 1 and 2, then in 3 and 4 is a huge difference. He was really ripped in those two movies and probably did weigh his billed weight of 202 pounds or whatever it was and really low body fat. I think they said he had 2% or 3% body fat in Rocky 3, which is a far beyond unhealthy amount of body fat. Whereas in the first two, he was billed as 190 pounds or something, but he was probably 175-180 pounds with a modest amount of body fat.

Yeah I heard that too...it's amazing you think oh it's just part of the movie the way he looks but when you hear he took health eating and training to that extent it's like dude, it IS okay to have a burger once in a while lol

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Dolph Lundgren is the most famous Russian that's not really a Russian, due to that movie! He's really from Sweden haha. Since that's his most famous role, people probably refer to him as ''The Russian guy'' when they meet him, even though he isn't really Russian!

And he has a masters in chemical engineering.

Same vein but much older: everyone assumed Anthony Quinn was Greek because of one movie (Zorba the Greek), but he was Mexican.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah I heard that too...it's amazing you think oh it's just part of the movie the way he looks but when you hear he took health eating and training to that extent it's like dude, it IS okay to have a burger once in a while lol
I figured he had to have a burger or something. The metabolism at 2%-3% must be like lightning bolts. I figured he'd have that Michael Phelps diet, which was like something like 12000 calories per day or something! He must have been able to eat lightning and crap thunder! One of my favorite Mickey-isms!
And he has a masters in chemical engineering.

Same vein but much older: everyone assumed Anthony Quinn was Greek because of one movie (Zorba the Greek), but he was Mexican.
Was he Mexican? Quinn is like the most Irish name ever! It's like more Irish than corned beef and cabbage, which probably wasn't even from Ireland, right?:laugh:

A lot of people think Al Pacino was Cuban because of Scarface!

Wasn't Dolph Lundgren like the head of Sweden's olympic committee or something? I remember him having something to do with that back in the day.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
there's no such thing as a friendzone lol

That's a little too fast! If it escalates to that? That's cool. Just don't force things like that, I'd never advocate that.

There doesn't have to be. It's usually just guys who pretend to be their friend, since they think it will increase their odds of getting the woman to change her mind after rejecting you. That's not right to do either. If you wanna be her friend, then be her friend. Accept that she doesn't see you as more. If you want more than that, don't accept the friendship. And of course, there's ways of doing that without being mean and calling her names.

Bingo.

It's based around entitlement. Oh, I deserve sex and a relationship from her just because I am nice to her.

That sort of thing isn't helped when romance in TV shows and movies push problematic to flat out unrealistic relationship BS. Look at older romantic comedies. The things they have the protagonist do to win over their love interest / obsession is pretty creepy and highly problematic at times. It ventures anywhere from really pushy to flat out stalker like. And while it would be easy to write it off and say don't pay attention to it, those sort of things have been reinforced through generations of people who have and raise their kids maybe having similair views on how to handle things etc.

Same with some love songs. Like, Baby It's Cold Outside is really f***ing weird when you realize how pushy the male singer is being when she doesn't want to stay.

The whole "nice guy" that is just being nice to get a relationship / sex is f***ed up. It's really toxic, because most of those "nice guys" are really terrible when they get rejected. Like you said, it turns into them just being mean and throwing out insults and being emotionally / verbally abusive.

And it can even be more extreme. Look at Eliot Rodger, that supposed nice guy that made a video right before he started killing people in Isla Vista because he was rejected and he thought he was owed sex and attention because he was "nice".

It's also really selfish and pretty emotionally manipulative to try to force someone into something they rejected all while carrying on a platonic relationship as a facade to get what you want.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Per wikipedia, his grandfather was an Irish immigrant to Mexico
That explains that! I knew with that name they had to be from Ireland, although Scotland and England probably also have plenty of Quinn's!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bingo.

It's based around entitlement. Oh, I deserve sex and a relationship from her just because I am nice to her.

That sort of thing isn't helped when romance in TV shows and movies push problematic to flat out unrealistic relationship BS. Look at older romantic comedies. The things they have the protagonist do to win over their love interest / obsession is pretty creepy and highly problematic at times. It ventures anywhere from really pushy to flat out stalker like. And while it would be easy to write it off and say don't pay attention to it, those sort of things have been reinforced through generations of people who have and raise their kids maybe having similair views on how to handle things etc.

Same with some love songs. Like, Baby It's Cold Outside is really ****ing weird when you realize how pushy the male singer is being when she doesn't want to stay.

The whole "nice guy" that is just being nice to get a relationship / sex is ****ed up. It's really toxic, because most of those "nice guys" are really terrible when they get rejected. Like you said, it turns into them just being mean and throwing out insults and being emotionally / verbally abusive.

And it can even be more extreme. Look at Eliot Rodger, that supposed nice guy that made a video right before he started killing people in Isla Vista because he was rejected and he thought he was owed sex and attention because he was "nice".

It's also really selfish and pretty emotionally manipulative to try to force someone into something they rejected all while carrying on a platonic relationship as a facade to get what you want.
I was definitely guilty of this back when I was young, like a teenager.

Like if a girl rejected me and gave me the ''Let's just be friends'' speech, I would accept and still try and hit on her and hope she'd change her mind. I figured if she could see what a great guy I was as a friend, she'd change her mind. It never works, except in the movies and some rare cases in real life.

If a girl that I like says to me ''Let's just be friends'' I just politely decline. I don't need hang around and be her friend when I want more than that. I don't need to hang around and hear about what she's doing with some other guy that isn't me. It's nothing personal or an indictment on them as a human. Just like I don't take it personally if they don't like me. A lot of people frown on this and say ''Well she's worthy of being your girlfriend, but not your friend? That's f***ed up!'', which I don't understand either.

Reactions: tr83
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad