The Strength Thread Part II

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I've decided I don't enjoy going to the gym at all. Is it possible to gain some strength without lifting heavy weights?

You can gain a lot of strength without lifting heavy weights or going to a gym. Your options are:

1. Bodyweight exercises (push ups, pull ups, one-legged squats, etc.) at home or office.
2. Light weights at home or office.
3. Combination of both.

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
You can gain a lot of strength without lifting heavy weights or going to a gym. Your options are:

1. Bodyweight exercises (push ups, pull ups, one-legged squats, etc.) at home or office.
2. Light weights at home or office.
3. Combination of both.

Another option is resistance bands incorporated in a body weight routine. T-Rex could also add some variety to a body weight routine

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Depends on what it is that you don´t like with lifting heavy weights I guess. If you don´t mind the exercise, but just don´t like lifting heavy and/or going to the gym - then sure. Depends on your genes and eating habits how "far" you can take it, but you can certainly become very athletic without lifting heavy or going to the gym. If you don´t generally like exercising and is just looking for a "quick way out" - then most likely no. 1 in a million seem to get big and/or strong with extremely limit amount of exercise, but most got to work hard for every gram of muscle/additional strength over a certain point.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
You guys should all check out Odell beckham jrs brother on Instagram.

@fbaftermath

This guy is a monster lol

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
That 4 inch defecit deadlift is just disgusting, I've seen far worse form too.

He's a legit beast man. Plays for the jets I think

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Had a little "dip off" with a gym buddy and nailed 25 the other day

Was definitely my PB

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Any of you guys do rack pulls? Just started doing them a month or so ago. Typically doing 275 for 12.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I understand why people do them, but it's just annoyingly too loud. :laugh:

When I go to the gym, I am the only one in the entire building.. seriously. So the noise definitely isn't an issue for me. I get not doing them at some franchise gym at 5 PM.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
When I go to the gym, I am the only one in the entire building.. seriously. So the noise definitely isn't an issue for me. I get not doing them at some franchise gym at 5 PM.

I think it's a great way to improve your deadlift and a great way to work your lowerback in a safe way. Form should be good and roll your shoulders back.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Lowest the rack goes is to my knees. I know most like to go a bit below their knees. You actually feel it a fair bit in your trips, more so than the deadlift IMO. Love it.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Never done rack pulls myself. Not sure if I have even seen anyone doing them regularly. Out of curiosity what is the point of them?

You can always argue about what "full range of motion" really means. E.g. bench press with a bar doesn't really give you a full range of motion for your pecs, but why would you want to limit the range of motion more than what is "functionally" necessary?

To me even the normal deadlift is imperfect because it doesn't allow for anything close to a full range of motion for your hamstring- restricting it even further seems odd (?) - unless you have to due to pain, injury etc.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Never done rack pulls myself. Not sure if I have even seen anyone doing them regularly. Out of curiosity what is the point of them?

You can always argue about what "full range of motion" really means. E.g. bench press with a bar doesn't really give you a full range of motion for your pecs, but why would you want to limit the range of motion more than what is "functionally" necessary?

To me even the normal deadlift is imperfect because it doesn't allow for anything close to a full range of motion for your hamstring- restricting it even further seems odd (?) - unless you have to due to pain, injury etc.

Less technique needed than deadlifts. Definitely think injury prevention plays a factor. I've also had a groin surgery so I'm not a big fan of deadlifts.

Something I've noticed in them is you hit your back more with racks while obviously you hit your glutes and hamstrings with the dead (obviously your lower and entire back as well). Try rack pulls out - seriously you feel it a lot in your traps. I have weak traps so I think this movement is going to be perfect for me. I've only been doing them now for like a month and a half.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Wow, didn't know this existed, but I definitely want to be a part of this!

New to strength training, about 4 weeks into Stronglifts 5x5 after going for 6 weeks and taking around a month off because of the holiday (travel, all that, just let it slip).

I'm loving it so far, I've always been fairly athletic and coordinated, played soccer in high school and intramurals in college, and was always active enough to just naturally stay in shape. Last few years of college and now after graduation, that has changed, and I needed something quick to keep me in shape. Discovered Stronglifts, and have kinda drunk the Kool-Aid so far, it's awesome and I'm now a squat addict. My upper body has always been relatively weak, to the point where I'm excited that if I don't stall after work today at 5x5x130, Friday will be my first time benching a plate (embarrassing, but trusting the process). Loving my beginner gains finally following a structured program instead of doing isolation exercises for two hours a day and seeing no progress.

Anyway, will definitely be dropping by this thread every once in awhile, I'm on HFBoards every day (Canes fan), so this will can be a regular stop as well now. Probably lurk more than contribute, since I'm a beginner and really just trying to learn, but excited that this is here.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Wow, didn't know this existed, but I definitely want to be a part of this!

New to strength training, about 4 weeks into Stronglifts 5x5 after going for 6 weeks and taking around a month off because of the holiday (travel, all that, just let it slip).

I'm loving it so far, I've always been fairly athletic and coordinated, played soccer in high school and intramurals in college, and was always active enough to just naturally stay in shape. Last few years of college and now after graduation, that has changed, and I needed something quick to keep me in shape. Discovered Stronglifts, and have kinda drunk the Kool-Aid so far, it's awesome and I'm now a squat addict. My upper body has always been relatively weak, to the point where I'm excited that if I don't stall after work today at 5x5x130, Friday will be my first time benching a plate (embarrassing, but trusting the process). Loving my beginner gains finally following a structured program instead of doing isolation exercises for two hours a day and seeing no progress.

Anyway, will definitely be dropping by this thread every once in awhile, I'm on HFBoards every day (Canes fan), so this will can be a regular stop as well now. Probably lurk more than contribute, since I'm a beginner and really just trying to learn, but excited that this is here.
Good stuff. I started myself with Stronglifts last May and enjoyed it as a way to build a foundation, but I did start to get bored at around the 3 month mark. You can probably keep going with it past that, but I think I'd recommend adding in more upper body work. But if it is working for you, keep with it and have fun! Sounds like your progress is actually going quicker than mine did, which is awesome.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Up to 190 on bench for 5 sets of 5. Nearing 200 finally...

I still only weigh like 178 lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad