The Strength Thread Part II

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
OK Bro's,

Anybody ever have elbow tendonitis/tennis elbow?
If so, how did you treat it and prevent it from re-occuring.
a google search said the basic: ice/rest/anti-inflammatory... anybody have any additional advice?

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
It's there for me always, consistently. Rest/ice/anti-inflammatory helps but then you go back to working out and it comes back. Basically avoid things that make it worse or go easy on those. But yeah, that **** never really goes away until you take a long break.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
OK Bro's,

Anybody ever have elbow tendonitis/tennis elbow?
If so, how did you treat it and prevent it from re-occuring.
a google search said the basic: ice/rest/anti-inflammatory... anybody have any additional advice?

Extension bands. Place heavy rubber band(s) over your fingernails of all five digits on each hand. Extend out and hold for 2-3 seconds. Repeat for 15-20 reps, then rep out without any holds. Do 2 or 3 sets a day.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Been off the pull-ups for a while...

Getting to weighted ones as of today though. Can only knock out sets of 6 reps with a 25 plate ATM.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Never knew there was a thread for this.

I just got into lifting about 6 months ago, so my lifts are still pretty low but I'm really enjoying it. Current body weight is 145, started at around 130, its been a grind but its the first time I'm gaining weight instead of losing it in almost a decade. Right now my highs are:

Bench: 160x5
Squat: 240x5
Deadlift: 305x5

Tomorrow I'm going for 315 for 5 on deadlift, and it will be my first time pulling 3 plates. My form started to break down a little bit last week at 305 on the last couple reps, so I'm going to be careful with 315, will stop if I start to feel I'm rounding.

My squat would be higher but I have a problem with my balance, so I tend to lean on the right a bit too much so I've taken a deload to try and correct that. Working at 225 right now. Same thing with bench, I have a really hard time keeping form and end up bringing it down too high on my chest, so my elbows flair when I'm working at higher weights. So I'm working at around 140 now, trying to get that sorted out. Hoping to get to around 190 before my first year is done.

When I started, I struggled with 135 on deadlift and only started with the bar on bench and squats, so I'm pretty happy with the progress. Hoping to hit some of the numbers thrown around in this thread some day!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Never knew there was a thread for this.

I just got into lifting about 6 months ago, so my lifts are still pretty low but I'm really enjoying it. Current body weight is 145, started at around 130, its been a grind but its the first time I'm gaining weight instead of losing it in almost a decade. Right now my highs are:

Bench: 160x5
Squat: 240x5
Deadlift: 305x5

Tomorrow I'm going for 315 for 5 on deadlift, and it will be my first time pulling 3 plates. My form started to break down a little bit last week at 305 on the last couple reps, so I'm going to be careful with 315, will stop if I start to feel I'm rounding.

My squat would be higher but I have a problem with my balance, so I tend to lean on the right a bit too much so I've taken a deload to try and correct that. Working at 225 right now. Same thing with bench, I have a really hard time keeping form and end up bringing it down too high on my chest, so my elbows flair when I'm working at higher weights. So I'm working at around 140 now, trying to get that sorted out. Hoping to get to around 190 before my first year is done.

When I started, I struggled with 135 on deadlift and only started with the bar on bench and squats, so I'm pretty happy with the progress. Hoping to hit some of the numbers thrown around in this thread some day!

Damn, nice beginner gains.

Someone's coaching you or something ? Form is really, really important. Not only for injury, but to actually lift heavy (er) and for a plethora of reasons.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Damn, nice beginner gains.

Someone's coaching you or something ? Form is really, really important. Not only for injury, but to actually lift heavy (er) and for a plethora of reasons.
Thanks, it has been a fun journey so far. I probably could have started with more than the bar when I first started squatting and benching, but I just wanted to take it slow and learn the movements first.

Yeah, I have been going with a coworker who has been going to the gym for 3+ years. He's been really helpful, I doubt I would have stuck with it if it wasn't for him. He is really focused on form and has taught me to be the same. I'm also following a pretty structured program, which has been great. I started with Stronglifts but found it got boring really quick, so after about 3 months I moved on to a PPL. It's been more interesting and I've definitely seen more upper body gains from it. Now I just have to get myself eating more consistently and maybe I'll see even more improvements.

My deadlift actually got stuck for a long time at around 225 because I wasn't comfortable with the lift. But then I finally nailed down the form a couple months ago and its been a steady 10lbs every week. Hopefully I can keep it up for awhile yet.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Thanks, it has been a fun journey so far. I probably could have started with more than the bar when I first started squatting and benching, but I just wanted to take it slow and learn the movements first.

Yeah, I have been going with a coworker who has been going to the gym for 3+ years. He's been really helpful, I doubt I would have stuck with it if it wasn't for him. He is really focused on form and has taught me to be the same. I'm also following a pretty structured program, which has been great. I started with Stronglifts but found it got boring really quick, so after about 3 months I moved on to a PPL. It's been more interesting and I've definitely seen more upper body gains from it. Now I just have to get myself eating more consistently and maybe I'll see even more improvements.

My deadlift actually got stuck for a long time at around 225 because I wasn't comfortable with the lift. But then I finally nailed down the form a couple months ago and its been a steady 10lbs every week. Hopefully I can keep it up for awhile yet.

Don't get frustrated with plateaus, as you'll eventually hit some. 315 is pretty good for a beginner of any weight, but at 145 lbs, it's damn impressive. I've been lifting for so many years @ 175-200 and I never cleared more than 500. Maybe you have something going. You're halfway to Hawthorne and his 600ish LBS deads :laugh:

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Don't get frustrated with plateaus, as you'll eventually hit some. 315 is pretty good for a beginner of any weight, but at 145 lbs, it's damn impressive. I've been lifting for so many years @ 175-200 and I never cleared more than 500. Maybe you have something going. You're halfway to Hawthorne and his 600ish LBS deads :laugh:
Haha thanks. I'm pretty aware that I'll probably hit a plateau soon, especially if I can't get my diet back in check. I'm not sure how deadlift has become my best lift, it was my worst for a long time. I've been wearing a belt and using chalk the last couple weeks which has definitely helped. Not sure I would have even hit 285 without chalk, my grip tends to slip especially when I get stuck with a smooth bar.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Getting a belt has served me really well. Really helps me be more confident that I'm bracing properly, so I'm finally comfortable with my squat form again and going to start pushing the weight back up. Will hopefully be back to 240 within a couple weeks. It is too bad though that I'm probably not going to hit 260 by the new year, which was my goal.

Oct 18, 2011
can someone give me a list of good shoulder exercises? I do them every week but looking to switch things up a bit

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
can someone give me a list of good shoulder exercises? I do them every week but looking to switch things up a bit

Sometimes to get inspiration, I run through bodybuildings list of shoulder workouts and mix them with my own. http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/12/muscle/shoulders

My current routine:

- Superset Shrugs + upright row (3x8)

- Cable work (Front raise, Lateral Raise, face pull) 3 sets x 10. So it's 30 reps each superset. Really burns the **** out of the shoulders. Has really given me a lot of definition where I want it. Plus it builds a lot of strength for tennis/hockey.

- Shoulder Press (Whatever you like the most, dumbbells, smith machine, etc) 3x8

- Burnout shoulder plate routine (something my trainer gave me.. 15 lb dumbells, up/out/straight in front of you and out to burnout)

If I don't do burnout shoulder routine, i'll add additional rear delt work or something similar.

Additional stuff:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/content...men-the-7-best-routines-for-bigger-delts.html

http://www.muscleandperformance.com/article/10-shoulder-exercises-9359

Upright Cable Row.
Front Barbell Raise.
Cable Front Raise.
Machine Shoulder Press.
LeaningDumbbell Lateral Raise.
Cable Rear-Delt Fly.
Arnold Dumbbell Press.
Smith Machine Upright Row.

Oct 18, 2011
how do you know when you are being technically sound with your shoulder lifts though? i work out alone, on my other exercises i know my technique is good but sometimes i feel like i am lifting with my arms too much, does that make sense?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I honestly started with a trainer when I was training for hockey and every few years I get a trainer to make sure i'm re-focused and not getting bad habits... so I go that route.

The #1 thing they always tell me is to drop to a low weight when working a new exercise that you are unfamiliar with. I remember the first time I deadlifted, it was a 30 minute session with just the bar and 135 until the form felt right.

I would just say do warm up sets at a very low weight and then go 50-60% until you get very comfortable. Really overexaggerate focusing on your shoulders. Especially on front/lateral raises, upright row, shrugs, etc. Ultra focus on targeting that muscle.

And lastly - don't be afraid to ask. If you see someone there, give 'em a shout. People are willing to help.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
how do you know when you are being technically sound with your shoulder lifts though? i work out alone, on my other exercises i know my technique is good but sometimes i feel like i am lifting with my arms too much, does that make sense?

Just ask people around, but unlike back or even chest, it's a lot harder to queue "shoulder focus"...

Simple method would be to tire out your triceps first, but that has it's own drawback...

Another one would be to just lift the weight (With proper form) without really concentrating on the muscle focus...

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
On shoulders. Be aware that one of the most "controversial" exercises there is is the upright row. Personally I´m not sure why upright row would pinch your nerves more than for example military press, as the movement of your shoulder at some point throughout the exercise is basically similar anyway, but that is what is argued. Might be worth a google search. In any case seems like a good idea to keep your elbows down - if you decide to still do this exercise.

Most shoulder exercises you can´t really use your arms "too much". Shoulder press with dumbbells you might extend too early in the lift - which means you end up using your shoulders/neck to laterally move your arms to reach top position. Not ideal of course, but hardly a big issue. You can just try extending your arms at a 45 degree angle with some light weights doing that exercise and you will quickly realize you won´t be able to manipulate the movement too much - as you just won´t able to lift as much as you would with the correct technique.

Shoulders are tough technically. I think mostly because you can´t use really heavy weights - so people compensate by either using their legs (bending their knees) or by swinging the whole body to get momentum from the bottom of the movement. Both completely useless of course unless you are specifically targeting getting stronger at the "end of the move". Not unique though as for example the lat pulldown is the same. You will lift more with poor technique swinging your body before initiating the movement than by keeping your back stable. Lifting more always sounds like a good idea so....

As a rule of thumb I would say never bend your knees (of course if you are planning to go to failure giving you yourself some "help" with the last or two last repetitions with your knees might not be such a bad idea). And if you start the move in for example the mentioned upright row by straightening your body before lifting the weights - be aware. You are probably doing it wrong (a slight move is almost impossible to avoid if lifting really heavy weights - most - even experienced lifters still move too much tough).

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
On any deltoid raising exercise, front or lateral raises, as soon as you go above 45 degrees or so it becomes all trapezius not delt exercise.

After 40+ years of lifting, I no longer do anything overhead.

Remember, the shoulder is a very fragile/sensitive area.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm officialy taking time off deadlifting. I'm going to try and get my hams up to speed.

Went to get a "professional" opinion yesterday, and it appears I'm doing the majority of the lifting with my back, lower and upper, so that's probably one of the reason why I plateaud so hard.

The dip in performance though ? Unexplainable. Might be overtraining... Might be a number of things. I'll let go of DL a bit. I'll take time to get to 500 LBS Squats and 400 LBS Bench press (I don't think that's possible for me, but I'll try. :laugh:)

Yeah, again, dips kill your shoulder after a while.

This is true. Especially if you don't do them properly.

I used to dip twice a week.

Now ? I might rotate them once in a month or something, and even then it hurts my shoulder too much.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I used to absolutely love dips. I was really good at them too. Way better than I was at flat bench. Like others though, I can no longer do them due to the shoulder pain they cause. I seem to try them once every year to see if I can do them again, but same result every time. Sigh.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I grew bored of what I was doing and decided to do a 5x5 program with an Olympic lifting focus.

Snatch Day
5x5
Overhead squat
Squat to press to overhead squat (Squat down, press overhead in snatch grip, then get back up)
Snatch grip deadlift

3x3
Power snatch
Power snatch to overhead squat (pause at top of snatch, then squat)
Snatch

Clean and Jerk
5x5
Front squat
Push press
Clean grip deadlift

3x3
Power clean
Power clean to front squat (pause at top of clean, then squat)
Clean and jerk

I'm not even moving heavy weights at this point, but there so much more stabilization I have to do that my stabilizers are sore, but the rest of me feels not too bad.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I've decided I don't enjoy going to the gym at all. Is it possible to gain some strength without lifting heavy weights?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad