The Strength Thread Part II

Mad Brills*

Did around 150 on the bench yesterday for the first time in months...

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I haven't gone to the gym in 2 weeks because I've been pretty ill.

Hard to go back to be honest.

It's the double-edged sword of regular exercise. When things are going normal it's easy to go back to the gym because you have a strong mental/physical baseline. Once things get out of sync (illness, vacation, etc.), you are in a completely different mental state and you just don't feel like yourself (motivation, etc.). Kind of an "objects at rest/motion tend to stay at/in rest/motion" scenario. Maybe just try not putting pressure on yourself to have a hard workout and instead go for lower weight just to get that feeling of exercise back? Set easily attainable workout goals as you ease yourself back into it.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It's the double-edged sword of regular exercise. When things are going normal it's easy to go back to the gym because you have a strong mental/physical baseline. Once things get out of sync (illness, vacation, etc.), you are in a completely different mental state and you just don't feel like yourself (motivation, etc.). Kind of an "objects at rest/motion tend to stay at/in rest/motion" scenario. Maybe just try not putting pressure on yourself to have a hard workout and instead go for lower weight just to get that feeling of exercise back? Set easily attainable workout goals as you ease yourself back into it.

Good post.

What saved me was changing my mindset to "what is going to make me happy". Everyone wants to look like some Hollywood actor, but to achieve that physique you're going to have to put a lot of work in and be on a pretty particular diet. If that's happiness to someone, awesome, but for most it's not. This is why I stopped focusing on weight. I focus more on looks and clothing size. However, I have no desire to eat perfectly clean, but I don't want to be an unhealthy fat, out of shape slob either. So I found a middle ground where I'm happy.

As far as going back to the gym. I think the other thing that helped me is figuring out what I enjoyed doing. When I was focusing on cardio, I ****ing hated it. It made me not want to go. I found things I liked doing to replace running. I enjoy swimming and doing the row machine so I have cut out all running. You also have to factor in life in general. If I was single, I'd go to the gym every day for at least 1 hour because I love lifting weights. However, having a family makes that very difficult. I tried going after work, but with kids soccer practice, homework, etc.. it was very inconsistent, which really killed my motivation. Now I just go on my lunch break about 4 days a week. It's only 30 minute workouts, but I enjoy them, and I can routinely do it. Wish I had more time, but it's been amazing for my overall health. Anyway, I think it's important to find something you really enjoy doing as opposed to something you need to do.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Worst feeling ever.

My 2nd week back, i decided to squat even thoughy back still felt weak from DLs I did three days ago, well, my back just completely gave up and now im suffering.

What a stupid reinsertion. Listen to your body lads.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
So, watched a video from Omar Isuf about what your expectations should be in terms of what weight you can lift after 1 year training. According to him a good target is 1.25x body weight Bench, 1.75x body weight Squat, 2x body weight Deadlift. Honestly, this makes me feel good since I hit my 2x body weight deadlift after 6/7 months and the 1.75 squat after 8.

Then I remembered that I have a poverty level bench and I'm still 15lbs away from hitting 1.25x body weight. 3 more months to go though, still might get it...

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I've been more dedicated to working out my shoulders this year. Been making some noticeable gains. However, I will wake up in the night and the shoulder that I have been sleeping on (I almost always sleep on my side) is almost numb. Have had this for the past few weeks. Could this be a sign of nerve damage?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've been more dedicated to working out my shoulders this year. Been making some noticeable gains. However, I will wake up in the night and the shoulder that I have been sleeping on (I almost always sleep on my side) is almost numb. Have had this for the past few weeks. Could this be a sign of nerve damage?

Maybe even over training, too. When I play a lot of tennis and am lifting during the summer, this happens to me. I have found many ways to protect it through the night. I use KT tape if i'm way overusing my shoulder and I also prop my arm on a pillow to keep a good spot for it to rest as opposed to turning and leaning on it.

Post what you are currently doing with your training. It might just be a little too much. If you are over-training, I recommend A LOT of band work/lighter weight accessory workouts for rotation and protection.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Been out of my routine for a while due to moving to an under-developed area of Chicago that doesn't have a neighborhood gym (making it a train ride to get to the gym before work), and going through the busiest period of my career at work. So got a little fat and lost some strength over that time...but I've been getting back on track over the last few weeks.

Hit, what I believe is, a rep PR deadlift yesterday at 315x7. That was after 3 singles at 355 and 2 sets of 5 @ 315. My PR for 1RM to date is 425. maybe a few more weeks of solid training and I'll attempt another 1RM.

Mad Brills*

Isn't it true that if youre shoulders are wider than hips it's better?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Has anyone hear suffered from a Labrum tear?
I have a SLAP tear in both shoulders, really don't want to get surgery but from what i've heard its the only option to get it back to 100%, or at least close to it, since it is cartilage which doesn't heal by itself

In the meanwhile I have been focussing on strengthening my rear delts since I neglected them a lot while i was a lifting noob, and I feel it may have had a part in my injury

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Maybe even over training, too. When I play a lot of tennis and am lifting during the summer, this happens to me. I have found many ways to protect it through the night. I use KT tape if i'm way overusing my shoulder and I also prop my arm on a pillow to keep a good spot for it to rest as opposed to turning and leaning on it.

Post what you are currently doing with your training. It might just be a little too much. If you are over-training, I recommend A LOT of band work/lighter weight accessory workouts for rotation and protection.

Just doing the normal shoulder workout. Military press etc... Nothing that unusual just I might be going a little heavy. Only been a little sore this week. Away on vacation for about 10 days. Will see how they recover on the break.

Thanks for the advice.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Figured my strength progression is very interesting. First time using AAS so my strength should continue to progress real nicely and fast.

First week 215 for 3 sets of 3
second week 225 for 3 sets of 5
Tonight will be my third time hitting flat barbell. Hoping for 225 for 3 sets of 8 maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad