The Strength Thread Part II

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What do you guys think about liftinf in Hi top vans without the sole?

Im looking for new shoes and i have a really ****ing ugly brand new red pair of them laying around. Figured.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Anyone ever injure an adductor muscle lifting? ****ed one up in my right leg deadlifting like 2 weeks ago now and I'm still feeling the soreness/weakness in it when I deadlift just 225. Wondering how long this thing's gonna take.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Anyone ever injure an adductor muscle lifting? ****ed one up in my right leg deadlifting like 2 weeks ago now and I'm still feeling the soreness/weakness in it when I deadlift just 225. Wondering how long this thing's gonna take.
Rice method.

No doctor, but thats common in overloading the bar. Did you go heavy? Might be a tear.

Are you certain its coming from the groin area?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
What do you guys think about liftinf in Hi top vans without the sole?

Im looking for new shoes and i have a really ****ing ugly brand new red pair of them laying around. Figured.

My trainer wears chucks and love them. Dude is 165lbs, dominates his weight class every single competition, and you would never even know it by looking at him. He has a typical athletic build, not bulky at all, and took the competition 520 deadlift, 320 bench, 510 squat. Guy is a beast.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My trainer wears chucks and love them. Dude is 165lbs, dominates his weight class every single competition, and you would never even know it by looking at him. He has a typical athletic build, not bulky at all, and took the competition 520 deadlift, 320 bench, 510 squat. Guy is a beast.

Dwarfs my numbers at 30 lbs less. :cry:

I know about chucks, I know a few powerlifters who swear by Supras and Vans.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
That'll do for Bulgarian Split Squats. They just aggravate my groin too much to continue. Took 6 weeks off and the groin still hurt on the very first rep coming back. Oh well. Went back to Pistol Squats. Honestly, given that I still do my 20-rep Kettlebell Swings sets on the same day, the more quad-intensive Pistol Squats may ultimately balance out my lower body better than BSS.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I only employ Bulgarians as warm up, and I really believe thats where they should be used. People like Mark Bell, Defranco and co seem to agree with me on that.

Moves that put your body under loads of unecessary stress shouldnt usually be weighted imo.

Split squats, Dips, Pull/chin ups, etc are best served as a body weight exercise.

In other news, my shoulder popped out last week. I played football for the first time in years and I was the designated QB. Believe it or not, my shoulder was super sore the next day and I decided to go for my Overhead day... So stupid.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Finally got a 4th rep on handstand push-ups. I've been stuck at 3 reps pretty much for the entire year so far. There was incremental progress here and there, but never enough to get 4. This is at +4" ROM, which feels like a huge sticking point, but I vowed to stay here until I get 4x3. Ultimate goal is still to go all the way (hands touching shoulders), but at this rate it's looking unlikely.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Finally got a 4th rep on handstand push-ups. I've been stuck at 3 reps pretty much for the entire year so far. There was incremental progress here and there, but never enough to get 4. This is at +4" ROM, which feels like a huge sticking point, but I vowed to stay here until I get 4x3. Ultimate goal is still to go all the way (hands touching shoulders), but at this rate it's looking unlikely.

Unassisted ? That's awesome. How did you progress ? Did you start with crow balance ? (Bakasana)

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Unassisted ? That's awesome. How did you progress ? Did you start with crow balance ? (Bakasana)

Yeah, unassisted. I started out not being able to do any (head touching floor). I got from zero to one by doing negative reps and doing reps with a reduced range of motion (books under my head). After a couple months I got one rep and by the time I got to five reps I started slowly increasing the range of motion.

For this latest endeavor to go from 3 to 4 reps, I used a combo of negatives (1 on the last set) and extra quarter to half reps. It wasn't a linear progression. Some days I couldn't even get 3 reps. Also had to take ~3 months off at one point due to a shoulder blade injury. Feeling really good at the moment though.

Last edited:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Finally got 200lbs on flat bench, with proper form and a bum shoulder from years of bad form.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Got 8 reps at 455 lbs deadlifting at 198 lbs, pretty pumped about my cutting progress and still making strength gains. If only my bench and squat were able to keep up. Do you guys prefer low or high bar for squat and close or wide stance?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Got 8 reps at 455 lbs deadlifting at 198 lbs, pretty pumped about my cutting progress and still making strength gains. If only my bench and squat were able to keep up. Do you guys prefer low or high bar for squat and close or wide stance?

Awesome job on the deadlifting! If you are powerlifting I believe low-bar, wide stance is your best bet. Really though it depends on your body geometry and also how you deadlift. You want to mirror those mechanics if possible. When I did those lifts 10+ years ago it seemed that everyone was going wide with their feet on both.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The powerlifting stance is problematic. Low bar is almost 100% better, but wider is not. It depends on muscles, frame, mobility. I go low bar and a bit wider than shoulder, really, as long as you can sit down in your hips, its perfect.

Ive been making moar gains since ive commited to eating like a madman. Currently sitting at 205 lbs at 5 11. I look like a Tolkien Dwarf

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
and i thought 2 plates were heavy. (april ish)..i just did x2(+) my weight of 275x1 PR on low bar SQ....i tried 280 but no go.....but 300 doesnt ...seem that bad....? (hope i'd get closer by the end of the yr though!)

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Took forever to get my adductor back to relatively normal. It's still pretty damn tight, but I can now squat and deadlift without feeling like it's going to pop again. Just need to warm up and stretch it out first. I think it was caused by a combination of relatively weak hamstrings and not pushing evenly through my right foot (which was the side I popped the adductor on). I was pushing so much on the outside of my foot that my big toe was raising up off the ground.

I've cut out higher rep sets and have been doing mostly sets of 3, breaking my grip and re-setting between each one, to try to rebuild a correct movement in my deadlift.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->