OT: The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Just picked up new glasses. They’re bifocals, and I’m used to using reader cheaters that I picked up at the dollar store. So now I have to get used to you not trying to look down the end of my nose with my glasses I think I have a headache already and I’ve only been wearing these things for five minutes.
I got progressives about 6 months ago and I can't get used to them.

Reactions: Chainshot

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Hawaii hands down.

But $3500 won’t last you 3-4 weeks. Flight, hotel, things to do etc ... More like 2 weeks.
is this in Hawaii or anywhere in general? I've traveled Europe for like 2 months straight and only spent about 1500. It doesn't have to be so expensive if you're savy about things

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
2 months for 1500?

I live here and barely would make it through the first month with so little.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I've traveled Europe for like 2 months straight and only spent about 1500. It doesn't have to be so expensive if you're savy about things

1500 USD or Euros? Are we talking hostels and stealing food? What helpful hints do you have to stretch your money? I have a stash of money and am trying to figure out something fun and memorable to do with it. It was interesting to see 1972's question because I have been asking friends a similar question. If you could go anywhere in the world what would you like to see with your own eyes or where would you like to spend a vacation?

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Almost completed the free Sports Management courses at Columbia U. Hoping to enroll soon.

Just starting to invest long term with Wealthsimple. Excited to watch that growth.

Going to continue working out as well, just took a month off because I wasn't in the right mind set to do it.

Hope everyone is doing well and achieving their dreams

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
1500 USD or Euros? Are we talking hostels and stealing food? What helpful hints do you have to stretch your money? I have a stash of money and am trying to figure out something fun and memorable to do with it. It was interesting to see 1972's question because I have been asking friends a similar question. If you could go anywhere in the world what would you like to see with your own eyes or where would you like to spend a vacation?
Argentina is the best value. The dollar goes a long way there. More so now than ever with the currency crisis.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
that was in euro, so maybe like 1800 USD these days? I was hosteling it, cooking most of my meals, taking buses from City to city, cheapest flights available, etc. I also spent a lot of time in eastern europe which is naturally like 1/3rd of the price than the west.

honestly, just going to the grocery store and making my own food prolly saved me 400-500 euro. Eating out is expensive. I was also living in Madrid at the time, so add maybe 200-300 for a flight from the states (I started with a flight from MAD to Athens)

that said I wasn't trying to spend less, that's just what I ended up spending. I would have had to think about it to spend more

I'd like to do South America next, then south east Asia and the Pacific. I'm not really a bucket list kind of dude, just think it's interesting being in different places and learning a bit more about the world.

Cuphead

Jul 16, 2010
Anyone have an Amazon Fire tablet? I want a small tablet for just browsing the internet and YouTube.

the super cheap one? i picked up a 3 pack for like $60. rooted, they make a solid light switch/smart device controller/cookbook. although echo dots have pretty much replaced them.

id get an older gen refurbished ipad before the 10" though. 8" might not be bad.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Nah. I'm just going to make him fill my gas tank as he uses more gas as I'm teaching him to drive than I do.

Think of it in Poker terms. You've staked him for 16 years and he's finally start turning a profit.

Time to start collecting half

giphy.gif

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I got progressives about 6 months ago and I can't get used to them.

I guess they call them progressives because your eyes are getting progressively worse!:laugh:

I certainly didn't feel more modern, liberal or tolerant when they switched out my glasses...

Getting old really, really sucks..... (despite all that stuff your Doctor tells you about maintaining your "quality of life". I'll take age 25, 35,even 45 over any of that B.S.... :laugh:)

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
My 16yo got a job, too.

It will be interesting to see if this sparks his work ethic since he isn't putting in the required work at school.

Enjoy it. And treasure it. Soon they will be leaving home. And you'll miss them.

But eventually, they return. And then you definitely will want to charge them rent!!!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Enjoy it. And treasure it. Soon they will be leaving home. And you'll miss them.

But eventually, they return. And then you definitely will want to charge them rent!!!

He's the one that barely ever comes over, so he essentially moved out from my house years ago.

And my plan is to buy a tiny house so there is noplace for them to move back to!

:lol:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
18yo got a job a couple months ago. Will have it thru the summer and any time she's home on break from college. She also helped me replace the side view mirror she knocked off a month or so ago on my 20yo Toyota (she was avoiding an oncoming garbage truck and struck a mailbox. residential roads are narrow here, 18' for two lanes, no curb, no shoulder). She gets her own gas now; she'll get the oil changed and inspected for registration renewal this week and I'm writing her instructions for the errand so she doesn't get rooked on the service.

16yo has applied for summer jobs; trying to get a grocery store gig or similar. Might end up bussing tables with friends at a restaurant.

15yo is about as useless as an umbrella in a hurricane. Begrudgingly does his laundry, cleans his room/their bathroom, minimal help with outside chores. He has been getting PT on his feet due to constant pain / exceedingly high arches / short tendons. It's actually keeping him from sleeping. But the feet sure aren't keeping him from playing video games.

Almost completed the free Sports Management courses at Columbia U. Hoping to enroll soon.

Just starting to invest long term with Wealthsimple. Excited to watch that growth.

Going to continue working out as well, just took a month off because I wasn't in the right mind set to do it.

Hope everyone is doing well and achieving their dreams
My master plan for Total World Domination remains on track.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I got bored of school by the time I started making money. Missed more school in a week compared to 10 years working. Teachers always said I needed to put in more effort to reach my potential, I just found it to be a waste of time most days. Being taught all kinds of stuff that I'll never apply in the real world.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I got bored of school by the time I started making money. Missed more school in a week compared to 10 years working. Teachers always said I needed to put in more effort to reach my potential, I just found it to be a waste of time most days. Being taught all kinds of stuff that I'll never apply in the real world.

School is of different value to different people. I think learning outside your primary discipline makes you a well rounded person....but oftentimes the most important lesson that some college classes teaches you is to do work you don't like and has no point because you have to. Given, I didn't learn that lesson at the time (I dropped out of college after 5 years), but the lesson was learned by me...eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad