OT: The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
School is of different value to different people. I think learning outside your primary discipline makes you a well rounded person....but oftentimes the most important lesson that some college classes teaches you is to do work you don't like and has no point because you have to. Given, I didn't learn that lesson at the time (I dropped out of college after 5 years), but the lesson was learned by me...eventually.
i agree with the idea that discipline is the most important part of success, but you also need to be undisciplined for a long enough period to discover new things. maybe it happens naturally. it did for me i think in my personal life. i am disciplined with my own things which brings me happiness. work is just work. it doesn't make me feel better or worse

school doesn't really count. it's not nearly the same as just working a job. jobs are way easier imo... even the hardest jobs. i say that this because you can't really improve an institution like you can a company. organizations will make a more direct effort to evaluate and act upon feedback. being in school just feels helpless and trapped. they're making money off of you instead of through you in a way. it's depressing, hopefully you make it out alive

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
i agree with the idea that discipline is the most important part of success, but you also need to be undisciplined for a long enough period to discover new things. maybe it happens naturally. it did for me i think in my personal life. i am disciplined with my own things which brings me happiness. work is just work. it doesn't make me feel better or worse

school doesn't really count. it's not nearly the same as just working a job. jobs are way easier imo... even the hardest jobs. i say that this because you can't really improve an institution like you can a company. organizations will make a more direct effort to evaluate and act upon feedback. being in school just feels helpless and trapped. they're making money off of you instead of through you in a way. it's depressing, hopefully you make it out alive

I like your points but I'd argue against them equally. In school you can work hard and succeed alone through the short term validation of a grade. With a job you can work hard long or short term and not receive that personal gratification of a good grade. It' an interesting dynamic to think about. I find working harder than my peers at a job that you don't get a graded validation from to be more stressful in the longterm. That being said my job forces me to write my own yearly review and merely have a superior sign off on it. I essentially evaluate myself and if my superiors are lazy they just check off a box and say yep I agree. My personality needs personal validation to give creedance to my hard work but one could argue that's a charter flaw lol

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I like your points but I'd argue against them equally. In school you can work hard and succeed alone through the short term validation of a grade. With a job you can work hard long or short term and not receive that personal gratification of a good grade. It' an interesting dynamic to think about. I find working harder than my peers at a job that you don't get a graded validation from to be more stressful in the longterm. That being said my job forces me to write my own yearly review and merely have a superior sign off on it. I essentially evaluate myself and if my superiors are lazy they just check off a box and say yep I agree. My personality needs personal validation to give creedance to my hard work but one could argue that's a charter flaw lol
i get that. i'm kind of the opposite. i tend to be more hard on myself and don't really care how others evaluate me, cause i know if i'm doing a good job or not. this is probably why i do better in jobs. school was always a boring grind to me. i did pretty well but that idea that someone had to tell me how i was doing when i already knew how i was doing sucked the life out of it for me... so i primarily hated the idea of school unless my professors were almost totally hands off and only reacted when i legitimately came to them for external evaluation

my last review was the bi-partisan type. i did the same review of myself that my boss did. in due course i undervalued my own performance and my boss thought i exceeded expectations quite a but in most areas. i didn't take much from it other than the fact that i could probably work a lot less hard. that's not a fun idea for me though.working less hard would just equate to me being bored at work. i'd rather ask for a raise leveraging my performance, and look for other jobs if i didn't feel i was being compensated properly

i'm kind of going through that process now. it's... interesting

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Pegulas purchase Aurora estate for $2.5 million
The owners of the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres, through their East Property Management, bought the 57-acre Aurora estate of Richard E. Garman, the former owner of Buffalo Crushed Stone. The purchase price paid to Garman's estate was $2.5 million.
It's a nice starter home for the kids to use.

staticmap.png

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
<Robin> “Holy caped crusader collision, Batman!!!”

<announcer> “Batmobile breakdown in Buffalo?? Tune in next time to see how our heroes respond. Same bat time. Same bat channel!!!”

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012

Laurel or Yanni?

I hear Laurel no matter what

Yanny.

Has something to do with hearing higher frequencies that others cannot, which would make sense because I'm the only one in my family that can hear bats.

I remember when I first did the blue/black dress that it looked white/gold for about 10 seconds and it slowly changed to blue and black. Now it's always blue and black to me.

I always find these things interesting because seeing and hearing isn't always believing. A kid may grow up seeing the world an entirely different color than you right now and there would be no way for you to know it, maybe the grass is actually red to him. How do you explain a color? You can't.

Add in all the things a human can't see or hear on top of how our brain alters reality itself. For example humans can't see nebula with the naked eye...or how we actually see the world in 2D but our brain alters it to 3D, which in itself can cause errors.

Last edited:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Spent the morning working on my query letter for my novel and formatting MacBooks. Yesterday was a pitch event on Twitter, and I had a few agents request I submit to them, which means writing these blasted query letters. At least the MacBooks are relatively mindless.

Reactions: Chainshot

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Can we convince the team to put up a banner at the Key honoring Taro Tsujimoto, or even a Japanese flag in tribute? That would be incredible in the vein of Syracuse having a banner for Reggie Dunlop.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Caution! Hockey in the OT thread!

My son is currently watching highlight videos for various yet-to-be drafted kids. I think he's watching Svechnikov or Zadina because I keep hearing "he scored AGAIN" from the living room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad