GDT: The Schneiderman's Redemption: ECQF Game 4 - Lightning @ Devils, 7:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
We don't though. Would it be nice? Yeah. Should we be focusing on giving him a huge contract? Nope. We need at least 4 good Dmen to be any sort of contender. That is where we must focus the effort.

If we can get Tavares for nothing else but cash, you do it.

What kind of logic is that, seriously? We need help on defense just as much as we need a "2nd line center".

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If we can get Tavares for nothing else but cash, you do it.

What kind of logic is that, seriously? We need help on defense just as much as we need a "2nd line center".

People keep using the phrase 'just cash'...it's not just cash, that would be easy. But it's cap space too, that's the bigger issue. And I'm not saying I wouldn't sign JT but you have to take cap space into account if you're signing a long-term contract, still need help on D and still eventually need to pay Hall and Nico a lot more money through the life of any JT contract.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Not one person should be remotely concerned about cap space at this current moment. The Devils could realistically afford to pay both Carlson and Tavares and still be OK under the cap.

Once Nico, Bratt, etc come due to be paid, guys like Greene and Zajac drop off. We are set up beautifully to spend big on at least 1 player.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Not one person should be remotely concerned about cap space at this current moment. The Devils could realistically afford to pay both Carlson and Tavares and still be OK under the cap.

Once Nico, Bratt, etc come due to be paid, guys like Greene and Zajac drop off. We are set up beautifully to spend big on at least 1 player.

See post above for more infos on our cap space!

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
Its a shame that the mid season suspension really seems to have castrated Wood. He hasn't looked the same and we could really use the amped up bull in a china shop Wood this time of year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
re: cap space-

we have the following coming off the cap this year:
Ryan Clowe $4.85
John Moore $1.67
Drew Stafford $0.800
Jimmy Hayes $0.700
Brian Gibbons $0.650

Now, I realize you are going to have to replace some of these roster spots with other players. But thats nearly $9 million dollars that is available right there for guys who, I think we can all agree, are not "core" players whatsoever (hell, one literally hasn't played in 3 years).

Nico's 2nd contract and Hall's extension will kick in the exact time Greene retires, by the way.

Like I said, we are set up beautifully on the cap. I think now is the time to "overspend" if we are able to land a Carlson or a Tavares

Reactions: OmNomNom

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
People keep using the phrase 'just cash'...it's not just cash, that would be easy. But it's cap space too, that's the bigger issue. And I'm not saying I wouldn't sign JT but you have to take cap space into account if you're signing a long-term contract, still need help on D and still eventually need to pay Hall and Nico a lot more money through the life of any JT contract.
If you can afford to sign a top-10 player in the league without forfeiting any draft picks or roster players, you do it.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Guys and gals, you all know how the NHL works. They hardly ever call the initial penalty in the playoffs, however, the always call the reaction. So, the Devils should go into the game and initiate. Nothing major and don’t go out to purposely injure, however, play nasty. Not sure we have those type players. Maybe Hall and Wood if he goes back to his old ways.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
re: cap space-

we have the following coming off the cap this year:
Ryan Clowe $4.85
John Moore $1.67
Drew Stafford $0.800
Jimmy Hayes $0.700
Brian Gibbons $0.650

Now, I realize you are going to have to replace some of these roster spots with other players. But thats nearly $9 million dollars that is available right there for guys who, I think we can all agree, are not "core" players whatsoever (hell, one literally hasn't played in 3 years).

Nico's 2nd contract and Hall's extension will kick in the exact time Greene retires, by the way.

Like I said, we are set up beautifully on the cap. I think now is the time to "overspend" if we are able to land a Carlson or a Tavares

Grabner and Maroon's contracts come off as well. Obviously they were pro-rated this season, but still. I think Shero will try to keep Maroon but Grabner can leave now if he wants.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

They’re eventually gonna have to replace those players though, it’s not like they’re all going to be replaced from within by minimum salary players unless McLeod hits right away and they pull another Butcher plus out of the sky.

Butcher is also playing himself into a fairly significant raise in a couple years.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It also has to be taken into account that there could be an internal organizational cap. We don't have much evidence to draw a conclusion on that because being in the rebuilding stage we have been at for several years prior to this, the need to bring in bigger contracts wasn't necessary, but I feel that this isn't something totally unfair to consider.

We've acquired several players who have nice contracts with low money and a couple years of control. We've also given out 2 particular bigger contracts which weren't back breakers and more so sweet deals (Palmieri and Severson. Greene, Henrique, and Larsson could be thrown in there but those were worked on while Lou was still here and still had a larger sway in the decision making.) All while staying well under the cap.

Now that we seemed to have taken a bigger step in the right direction and are in a position to go out and spend to improve what we already have in place, we'll be able to get a better grasp of ownerships spending habits here. This team doesn't rake in the money, even with playoff success over the years it hasn't and these owners didn't make their billions by not managing their money smart, so it'll be interesting to see their strategy.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
They’re eventually gonna have to replace those players though, it’s not like they’re all going to be replaced from within by minimum salary players unless McLeod hits right away and they pull another Butcher plus out of the sky.

Butcher is also playing himself into a fairly significant raise in a couple years.

cap is going up ~$3 to $5 million which more than covers what you are saying

All I am saying is, there is literally no need to worry about the salary cap. If moves can be made/players can be signed, you do it. Look around the league at some of these teams that have multiple players making huge $$$ that seem to always fit under the cap.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
cap is going up ~$3 to $5 million which more than covers what you are saying

All I am saying is, there is literally no need to worry about the salary cap. If moves can be made/players can be signed, you do it. Look around the league at some of these teams that have multiple players making huge $$$ that seem to always fit under the cap.

Exactly.

You spend what you have to spend for your core players and add pluggers around them. Tavares would be just that and I wouldn't have a issue of a core that would include Hall, Tavares, Hischier (who isn't close to getting a big deal), Vatanen and possibly Schneider as well.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think what people sometimes forget re: extensions is that these existing players already are taking up a good chunk of cap

take Hall for example. He is already making $6 million AAV. So when we extend him, he is only going to get ~$3 million (or whatever) AAV more than that. Its not like we are taking an entirely new $9 million and adding it to the existing cap.

If Johansson is extended, he isn't going to get much more than he is currently making.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
how much will tavares' cap hit be? 10 or 11 million? i'd much rather invest that money into our blue line

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
how much will tavares' cap hit be? 10 or 11 million? i'd much rather invest that money into our blue line

I personally don't think he gets a dime over $10.5M. If I'm Shero, I stay as far away from the double digit threshold as I can, while still keeping New Jersey relevant in the negotiation discussions.

As far as investing the money elsewhere, the Tavares contract will largely pay for itself as our current big deals (Clowe @ $4.85M, Zajac @ $5.75M, Greene @ $5M) come off the books. We can certainly afford to hand out a rich deal without compromising attention to another position, if that's what you're implying cannot be done.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I personally don't think he gets a dime over $10.5M. If I'm Shero, I stay as far away from the double digit threshold as I can, while still keeping New Jersey relevant in the negotiation discussions.

As far as investing the money elsewhere, the Tavares contract will largely pay for itself as our current big deals (Clowe @ $4.85M, Zajac @ $5.75M, Greene @ $5M) come off the books. We can certainly afford to hand out a rich deal without compromising attention to another position, if that's what you're implying cannot be done.

im saying we have a pretty good forward group, and some very good prospects still to come. we need to take the money coming off the books and seriously invest in defensive help. top pairing defenseman

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

Investing in our blueline is a no brainer but you have to acquire those players to invest in them. Outside of Carlson, there's no one else I'd target in free agency, so we'll have to either wait for our picks or youngster too bloom or make trades.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
im saying we have a pretty good forward group, and some very good prospects still to come. we need to take the money coming off the books and seriously invest in defensive help. top pairing defenseman

The money coming off the books isn't our only money to play with, though. There's still all that extra cap space floating "above" our books.

We can spend big on a Tavares contract, and still "seriously invest" in defensive help. It's not a zero-sum game here.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Shattenkirk was coming off a career year, which should at least give people some Carlson pause, especially given Shattenkirk's career numbers are generally better than Carlson's numbers.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018

This is my point re: these Tavares discussions. In what world do any of you people see Tavares leaving the Islanders for 7/9.5 to come to New Jersey? Why would he do that when Islanders will offer him at least the same money at 8 and I cant imagine Montreal, Vegas etc will be in same ballpark. I just dont get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad