GDT: The Schneiderman's Redemption: ECQF Game 4 - Lightning @ Devils, 7:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
This is my point re: these Tavares discussions. In what world do any of you people see Tavares leaving the Islanders for 7/9.5 to come to New Jersey?

I agree somewhat, but the Islanders did go 35-47 and miss the playoffs by several slots.

To say their rebuild is not going as well as was hoped is likely a bit of an understatement. That would be my answer, if it is indeed even possible to pull him off the Island, he might want to go to one of the teams that has a better chance of playing hockey in May/June.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
This is my point re: these Tavares discussions. In what world do any of you people see Tavares leaving the Islanders for 7/9.5 to come to New Jersey? Why would he do that when Islanders will offer him at least the same money at 8 and I cant imagine Montreal, Vegas etc will be in same ballpark. I just dont get it.

Money is one thing but he's probably tired of being on a crap team and with the quick turnaround we had, he wouldn't have to move far and would get to play for a legit franchise in a legit arena.

As for Montreal, I wouldn't go there because their team sucks and even if they offer him 12M$ per year, with the taxes here in Mtl, it would equal the same salary he'd make in NJ or NY. If he's looking to finish his career on a crap team where everyone will be on his case if he doesn't score every other game (see the hate for Carey Price if not convinced), I don't know what to say.

NJ is a nice area, the team is on the up rise and he wouldn't have to be the savior, which might be enticing for someone like JT.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
This is my point re: these Tavares discussions. In what world do any of you people see Tavares leaving the Islanders for 7/9.5 to come to New Jersey? Why would he do that when Islanders will offer him at least the same money at 8 and I cant imagine Montreal, Vegas etc will be in same ballpark. I just dont get it.

i would counter that by asking why anyone would want to sign with the islanders, let alone one of the best forwards in the league?

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Money is one thing but he's probably tired of being on a crap team and with the quick turnaround we had, he wouldn't have to move far and would get to play for a legit franchise in a legit arena.

As for Montreal, I wouldn't go there because their team sucks and even if they offer him 12M$ per year, with the taxes here in Mtl, it would equal the same salary he'd make in NJ or NY. If he's looking to finish his career on a crap team where everyone will be on his case if he doesn't score every other game (see the hate for Carey Price if not convinced), I don't know what to say.

NJ is a nice area, the team is on the up rise and he wouldn't have to be the savior, which might be enticing for someone like JT.

Yeah I mean this is purely opinion so we can argue all day and its meaningless... but no high profile UFA, including Shattenkirk, has ever chosen NJ. And I realize that now the Devils have a brighter picture than they did last summer and all that but this would represent such a reversal of everything thats ever been known. This guy is going to turn his back on his franchise to drive a half hour to Newark? Newark is not desireable for players. I am the biggest Jersey guy in the world. I think its crazy that it isn't. But its the reality. It seems that its only when players get here that they reallize the good things about it.

Carlson on the other hand I believe is realistic. He is from NJ. He went to St Joes Metuchen, 15 minutes from the Rock. When the Caps play in NJ there are a hundred people from the John Carlson fan club in the stands. The Devils have the money. The Devils will make him the anchor of their defense. And most importantly (not the case w Tavares) the Caps may not be ABLE to retain him.

Even if Tavares does choose to leave LI he is not going to come to NJ. The Devils won't go from never getting a Top 5 UFA in their history to getting one of the biggest of all time, from a cross town rival nonetheless. Carlson is almost too big to believe... but it does make alot of sense.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
i would counter that by asking why anyone would want to sign with the islanders, let alone one of the best forwards in the league?

Because it's his organization. He has been raised there and has ties there and lives there. What can I tell you beyond that? I'm not saying he will sign w the Islanders but he's not leaving the Islanders for the Devils.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
no high profile UFA, including Shattenkirk, has ever chosen NJ.

Lou Lamoriello often didn't seek the "high profile UFA", because frankly history has shown "winning" the expensive new toy, is often the wrong move.

So I think it's more accurate to say the Devils typically don't TRY to land the giant free-agent in the crop, as opposed to none of those guys wanting to play in New Jersey.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
devils got kovalchuk. one of the bigger ufa signings of all time

anyway it's not like they live in newark

Like Tavares - He was a Devil. They retained him.

And you are preaching to the choir. I think NJ should be a prime destination. Ive argued that passionately on the main board. But it just isn't. Sorry.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Like Tavares - He was a Devil. They retained him.

And you are preaching to the choir. I think NJ should be a prime destination. Ive argued that passionately on the main board. But it just isn't. Sorry.

I don't think Tavares is signing here just because every team will try to go after him if he makes it to July 1. I'm just saying I don't think those reasons are going to prevent from signing here. I don't think Ray is going to be like we haven't got a big ufa before so there's no point.

Devils got Butcher last offseason and he was sought after by multiple teams. I know it's very different but still never know and it's not guarenteed

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

Presently the Islanders aren’t the most stable organization in the NHL. He’s not a lock to resign there. 50/50. I never thought Parise was leaving until the very end. Anything is possible until he decides.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
I don't think Tavares is signing here just because every team will try to go after him if he makes it to July 1. I'm just saying I don't think those reasons are going to prevent from signing here. I don't think Ray is going to be like we haven't got a big ufa before so there's no point.

Devils got Butcher last offseason and he was sought after by multiple teams. I know it's very different but still never know and it's not guarenteed

Lol i never said Ray would say this gee whiz. I just dont think he will succeed. I think Carlson is a unique opportunity of elite top line UFA + positoin of critical need + player who will potentially choose NJ. Need to get Carlson.

Butcher was outstanding. Big part of that was playing time/opportunity. But that did not play with Vesey the year before or their own guy Kerfoot either (since you are using examples).

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Lol i never said Ray would say this gee whiz. I just dont think he will succeed. I think Carlson is a unique opportunity of elite top line UFA + positoin of critical need + player who will potentially choose NJ. Need to get Carlson.

Butcher was outstanding. Big part of that was playing time/opportunity. But that did not play with Vesey the year before or their own guy Kerfoot either (since you are using examples).
im not saying there's a 100% success rate. I agree with you that I don't think the Devils will get him -- just not for the reasons you stated.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Presently the Islanders aren’t the most stable organization in the NHL. He’s not a lock to resign there. 50/50. I never thought Parise was leaving until the very end. Anything is possible until he decides.

Yes agreed but Parise didn't randomly go to Buffalo for very close money. He went to what he considered an extroadinary situation that pulled him away from NJ. Nothing about NJ - including $ and term - will be extroadinary enough for Tavares.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
exactly. and hope hischier's second contract is along the lines of what tavares and hall's were, 6 years at 6 mil or so and then when that's done he's in line for the next level. it should work with the cap there's no reason why the devils shouldn't be legitimate players for tavares

Reactions: Taylor Hall

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Are Tavares and Hall buds from any Canada teams? Plying with a MVP caliber player in Hall is another incentive.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Than why hasn’t he signed?

lol. I am not saying he is staying in long island, just like i am not saying Parise stayed in NJ. Clearly, he did not. But it was an extraordinary situation (to him) that drew him out of NJ. His home state, his parents, his best friend. It wasn't the 8th seed across town with a very good future and the same or less money and less years. Minnesota to him was an "I can't say no" thing and the Devils are not that for Tavares. He may have several that are. If not he will return to LI.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
take it for what you'd like, but a few months ago when they had those cheap islanders seats at barclays for the isles/devils game, i sat next to a guy who worked at a bank on the island and said that tavares had put his place up for sale, so........

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Are Tavares and Hall buds from any Canada teams? Plying with a MVP caliber player in Hall is another incentive.

I think I remember that the article that came out last year saying Hall started training earlier in the summer than normal mentioned that he was training with Tavares

I could be wrong

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm not saying he's coming here but I think Tavares is leaving the Islanders. Islanders are a shit organization with shit management. That goof Garth Snow somehow still has a job. They still have to play on that shit ice in Barclays and looks like they may bouce back and forth between that dump Coliseum and Brooklyn until that new arena gets built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->