GDT: The Schneiderman's Redemption: ECQF Game 4 - Lightning @ Devils, 7:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I think NJ should be a prime destination. Ive argued that passionately on the main board. But it just isn't. Sorry.

that may still be true, but we've improved enormously in that regard. we couldnt attract UFA's under lou, but i think the page is turning on that. for example, if we brought in hall 5 years ago, i would be freaking out every day thinking he would at least listen to other offers when he's a UFA. but now? i don't worry about that at all.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Yeah I am normally very skeptical about these big name UFAs actually leaving their teams, but it does feel like there's a higher chance of it happening in this case. Of course we heard that from all the NHL insiders about Stamkos as well, but the Islanders are in a far worse position for the next 5 or so years than Tampa was in 2017.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
2402431.jpg

e5

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
New Jersey was never a desirable destination for free agents because Lou barely attempted to to sign them here. That's not a knock on him, the way he did things worked for quite a while and let's also not forget that up until 2005, UFA age was 31. Lou would often times let his own big name UFA's walk, when they were going to cost too much and weren't worth it anymore. I'm talking even before the lockout. Holik, Gilmour, Mogilny 1.0, Lemieux 2.0, Andreychuk, etc.

Lou didn't start signing free agents until 2013 or so, when he really had to because he insisted on trying to have the team compete. He signed a few second tier UFA guys or supplemental guys like Zubrus (to kind of replace Gomez), Matvichuk back in 2004. I guess if you count Kovalchuk (who was already with us), Tallinder and Volchenkov, maybe 2010 was when he first really went on a UFA spending spree, but even that was after Paul Martin had left and we lost Oduya in the Kovalchuk trade, so those two were helping replace them.

And I really doubt any players live in Newark, even the nice parts of the city. Most visiting teams don't even stay in Newark. They usually stay in Jersey City or the Short Hills Hilton. Probably because there's more to do in Jersey City and the Short Hills Hilton is much nicer than the one in Newark next to Penn Station. A lot of teams used to stay in the Hilton Hasbrouck Heights, back when we played in The Meadowlands. There's plenty of other NHL cities/buildings that are close to pretty bad neighborhoods too. I've heard the Joe and even the new building are close to some unsavory neighborhoods that you wouldn't wanna walk through at night after games.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
New Jersey was never a desirable destination for free agents because Lou barely attempted to to sign them here. That's not a knock on him, the way he did things worked for quite a while and let's also not forget that up until 2005, UFA age was 31. Lou would often times let his own big name UFA's walk, when they were going to cost too much and weren't worth it anymore. I'm talking even before the lockout. Holik, Gilmour, Mogilny 1.0, Lemieux 2.0, Andreychuk, etc.

Lou didn't start signing free agents until 2013 or so, when he really had to because he insisted on trying to have the team compete. He signed a few second tier UFA guys or supplemental guys like Zubrus (to kind of replace Gomez), Matvichuk back in 2004. I guess if you count Kovalchuk (who was already with us), Tallinder and Volchenkov, maybe 2010 was when he first really went on a UFA spending spree, but even that was after Paul Martin had left and we lost Oduya in the Kovalchuk trade, so those two were helping replace them.

And I really doubt any players live in Newark, even the nice parts of the city. Most visiting teams don't even stay in Newark. They usually stay in Jersey City or the Short Hills Hilton. Probably because there's more to do in Jersey City and the Short Hills Hilton is much nicer than the one in Newark next to Penn Station. A lot of teams used to stay in the Hilton Hasbrouck Heights, back when we played in The Meadowlands. There's plenty of other NHL cities/buildings that are close to pretty bad neighborhoods too. I've heard the Joe and even the new building are close to some unsavory neighborhoods that you wouldn't wanna walk through at night after games.
Phillys arena is in the middle of an old shitty shipyard well outside the city. Worse location than the Rock and you do not hear anything about Wells Fargo being in a bad location. That talk is over hyped by the fans.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018

This is an unnecessary debate. I myself have made this argument on many occasions. Devils players live primarily in JC and Hoboken for the younger guys and the guys with families in places like Short Hills, Chatham, Millburn etc. Its a wonderful place to raise a family, be a young guy with money... Hall by recent comments has settled in JC and loves it.

Visiting teams do stay on the water in JC, Short Hills as well as the W in Hoboken. All places that would highlight the beauty and excitement that NJ offers. Again, you are preaching to the choir.

It remains to be seen if what you are all arguing is true and that NJ is now a prime destination. I agree that it should be, I don't think it is. Look at Hall's reaction to the trade, for example, vs how he feels now after being here. What I am saying is that a guy like Tavares literally will have his pick of 15 places and I see no way or how he leaves the Islanders for what will be the same or LESS money, LESS term to a building team - one that is further along than his own but still a building team with a terrible defense and goalie play that has been at best inconsistent, and a market that does not have the reputation around the league of being an extremely desireable hockey market. You want to keep arguing this? So be it.

EDIT: People claiming the city of Newark is a negative to the Devils is ridiculous. Imagine saying that the Bronx is a detractor to players picking the Yankees? Nobody would ever say that. It would be ridiculous. They play in the Bronx. They are the Manhattan/Westchester/Connecticut/New Jersey Yankees. The Devils actually have one of the best setups in the NHL with a practice rink/game arena on same sight.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Phillys arena is in the middle of an old ****ty shipyard well outside the city. Worse location than the Rock and you do not hear anything about Wells Fargo being in a bad location. That talk is over hyped by the fans.
The worse thing about Philly to me (Washington is another one off the top of my head) is that most of the players live in Jersey and coming over the Woodrow Wilson bridge around 4:00-4:30 on a weeknight is probably pretty lousy. Even though most of the traffic is leaving Philly at that time.

Washington practices out in Alexandria, Virginia and I'm assuming the players all live out there. Coming into DC during rush hour for games is probably not optimal. I would say the Rangers, but most of their players live in the city, from what I gather, but the commute up to Tarrytown for practice on the morning after a game probably isn't a fun, nor is having to drive back from Tarrytown to Manhattan after practices.

LA is another one. I'm sure everyone loves to live there, but the practice facility and where the players live is very far from LA, especially if there's the typical traffic they have there. A lot of these teams have their morning skates on game days at their practice facility, since it's closer to the players homes.

And speaking of nightmare commutes, Tavares and the Islanders have been commuting from Long Island to Brooklyn by train for the last 3 years on game days. It must feel like every game is a road game. I know they're playing 12 games at the old Coliseum again next year, but that's gotta be annoying as f***.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The worse thing about Philly to me (Washington is another one off the top of my head) is that most of the players live in Jersey and coming over the Woodrow Wilson bridge around 4:00-4:30 on a weeknight is probably pretty lousy. Even though most of the traffic is leaving Philly at that time.

Washington practices out in Alexandria, Virginia and I'm assuming the players all live out there. Coming into DC during rush hour for games is probably not optimal. I would say the Rangers, but most of their players live in the city, from what I gather, but the commute up to Tarrytown for practice on the morning after a game probably isn't a fun, nor is having to drive back from Tarrytown to Manhattan after practices.

LA is another one. I'm sure everyone loves to live there, but the practice facility and where the players live is very far from LA, especially if there's the typical traffic they have there. A lot of these teams have their morning skates on game days at their practice facility, since it's closer to the players homes.

And speaking of nightmare commutes, Tavares and the Islanders have been commuting from Long Island to Brooklyn by train for the last 3 years on game days. It must feel like every game is a road game. I know they're playing 12 games at the old Coliseum again next year, but that's gotta be annoying as ****.
Having our practice facility next to the arena has always been an advantage for us.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is an unnecessary debate. I myself have made this argument on many occasions. Devils players live primarily in JC and Hoboken for the younger guys and the guys with families in places like Short Hills, Chatham, Millburn etc. Its a wonderful place to raise a family, be a young guy with money... Hall by recent comments has settled in JC and loves it.

Visiting teams do stay on the water in JC, Short Hills as well as the W in Hoboken. All places that would highlight the beauty and excitement that NJ offers. Again, you are preaching to the choir.

It remains to be seen if what you are all arguing is true and that NJ is now a prime destination. I agree that it should be, I don't think it is. Look at Hall's reaction to the trade, for example, vs how he feels now after being here. What I am saying is that a guy like Tavares literally will have his pick of 15 places and I see no way or how he leaves the Islanders for what will be the same or LESS money, LESS term to a building team - one that is further along than his own but still a building team with a terrible defense and goalie play that has been at best inconsistent, and a market that does not have the reputation around the league of being an extremely desireable hockey market. You want to keep arguing this? So be it.

EDIT: People claiming the city of Newark is a negative to the Devils is ridiculous. Imagine saying that the Bronx is a detractor to players picking the Yankees? Nobody would ever say that. It would be ridiculous. They play in the Bronx. They are the Manhattan/Westchester/Connecticut/New Jersey Yankees. The Devils actually have one of the best setups in the NHL with a practice rink/game arena on same sight.
Let's wait and see. Who knows if we'll even go after Tavares? I feel like Shero will be in the running for Erik Karlsson. I feel like Carlson (The Caps Carlson) will probably be someone that he targets. He's originally from Jersey.

I'm not convinced the Islanders are gonna back up the truck for Tavares, because it's already been leaked somehow that the owners are more worried about money than anything.

The Islanders are a very poorly run franchise. Even if he likes it there (and he probably does), he might turn around and be like ''Wow! These owners suck! They should have signed me right away. Fan outrage is already pouring in to fire Garth and they haven't delivered''. Maybe he likes Garth though? Who knows?

And that's a good point about the Bronx. Although the neighborhoods surrounding Yankee Stadium are actually decent and pretty expensive. I'm old enough to remember when New York City had this reputation for being a very dangerous and scary place, that most wouldn't dare venture into. And now it's one of the safest big cities in the country.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Having our practice facility next to the arena has always been an advantage for us.
I'm surprised more teams don't start doing it.

The Blue Jackets have one right next to their building and I'm pretty sure the new Oilers building was constructed with a practice rink on location.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm old enough to remember when New York City had this reputation for being a very dangerous and scary place, that most wouldn't dare venture into. And now it's one of the safest big cities in the country.

Rudy cleaned it up with an iron fist. I'm old enough to remember when mid-town Manhattan was loaded with filth, garbage littering the streets, hookers (in broad daylight), XXX shops, and graffiti everywhere. Now it's Starbucks, Dave & Busters, and the Disney Store!

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Rudy cleaned it up with an iron fist. I'm old enough to remember when mid-town Manhattan was loaded with filth, garbage littering the streets, hookers (in broad daylight), XXX shops, and graffiti everywhere. Now it's Starbucks, Dave & Busters, and the Disney Store!

Used to take the bus into port authority 42nd street in the 80s at the age of 14. I don't know what my mother was thinking. It was a cesspool. May not like him too much, but Rudy sure got the job done right on his watch...

Reactions: BenedictGomez

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
New Jersey was never a desirable destination for free agents because Lou barely attempted to to sign them here.

i think thats part of it. but i also think players didn't want to come play in lou's old school nazi regime. no social media, no facial hair, etc etc. god knows what other rules he had. who would want to play here in that environment, especially when the success dried up? glad to see he loosened some of that up in toronto

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Ryan Reaves is also a UFA. Depending on where we are with roster spots... a 1 yr deal there would be interesting specifically because of the issues the team is facing now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i think thats part of it. but i also think players didn't want to come play in lou's old school nazi regime. no social media, no facial hair, etc etc. god knows what other rules he had. who would want to play here in that environment, especially when the success dried up? glad to see he loosened some of that up in toronto
I think he loosened some of that up in Toronto because he's mostly just a figurehead in Toronto. Obviously he gets to make some decisions, more than if he had stayed here, but I don't think he's really in charge there. They did adopt a few of his policies, like no media on the team plane and the clean shaven thing. He probably has a say in things, but also can easily be overruled by Shanny, which wasn't the case when he was here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad