The Ryan Reaves Debate

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’m going to be pissed if he’s re-signed.

Surprisingly not so much. If you were to look at minutes and shifts over the season these last few games wouldn’t stand out. I think they’ve been together for 5 games and Reaves has been at or under the ATOI for 3 of those games. That really doesn’t stand out for his season. I know they had a lot of special teams yesterday but they also had a comfortable lead for a decent amount of time and that’s surely happened in other games.

I don’t think he does re sign. Maybe having Oleksiak is enough for whoever wanted Reaves.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
its clear that Sullivan and Rutherford were not on the same page when that trade happened.

Rutherford was trying to send a message to the league that no one was listening to.

Sullivan barely uses him and as a 4th Liner who doesn't kill penalties or take face-offs its just a matter of time before him in the press box.

once the pens get that 3rd line center and Sheahan is pushed to the 4th line i bet you'll see a guy like Rowney get pushed to 4th line wing and Reaves is odd man out.

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
And if it happens, Reaves and possibly Sully are going to get the book thrown at them. Reaves will have to do it subtly for it not to get league attention.
Matt Cooke says Hello to Karlssons ACL and about 100 headshots. Sid got taken out because of Dbag plays like Cooke made numerous times; retaliation is a thing. The eye for an eye thing is really bad for the game. Drop the instigator penalty. I loved seeing Iginla get mad and drop the gloves and bloody some ones face after his emotions came raging out. Hockey is so emotionless these days, and its not a bland game to play.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
its clear that Sullivan and Rutherford were not on the same page when that trade happened.

Rutherford was trying to send a message to the league that no one was listening to.

Sullivan barely uses him and as a 4th Liner who doesn't kill penalties or take face-offs its just a matter of time before him in the press box.

once the pens get that 3rd line center and Sheahan is pushed to the 4th line i bet you'll see a guy like Rowney get pushed to 4th line wing and Reaves is odd man out.

I disagree.

First of all Sully has input in the moves that JR makes.

Second of all just having Reaves sit on the bench is helpful because of his presence.

If Sully didn't like having Reaves on the team he wouldn't be playing him every game.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If Oleksiak's going to be in the lineup every game then I don't see a need for Reaves. Just sign someone like Jordan Nolan to be the 13th forward and then insert him in the lineup when needed.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If Oleksiak's going to be in the lineup every game then I don't see a need for Reaves. Just sign someone like Jordan Nolan to be the 13th forward and then insert him in the lineup when needed.

I did find it to be mildly ironic against the Rangers that Oleksiak beat the crap out of a guy, getting an instigator penalty, for checking Reaves onto his rear end. Oleksiak was protecting Reaves.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Nolan is a terrible hockey player. I would rather keep Reaves.

Oleksiak is a solid defenseman that also happens to be a damn decent fighter, while Reaves is a fighter that can play a decent shift. Both are some of the top fighters in the game when they need to be. But having both, I don't mind it. I'm all for the Bash Bros in the line-up.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Oleksiak is a solid defenseman that also happens to be a damn decent fighter, while Reaves is a fighter that can play a decent shift. Both are some of the top fighters in the game when they need to be. But having both, I don't mind it. I'm all for the Bash Bros in the line-up.

Nolan's not that much more terrible than Reaves, he'd cost about half the price and you wouldn't need to have in the lineup every game.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

tenor.gif

Reactions: domaug

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
I'm ... not even sure what you are trying to infer here.

He is inferring that we didn't trade only a first for Reaves and is making a sarcastic joke. It would be like me saying "I cannot believe we traded all those pieces for Dupuis" when we actually also got Marian Hossa.

We didn't trade a first for Reaves. We Traded Sundqvist+31overall pick for Reaves+51nd Overall Pick so we traded Sund for Reaves and moved back 20 spots.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
I think the Oleksiak acquisition allows us to send Reaves to the press box come playoff time. For now though, especially if we continue winning, he probably stays in the lineup.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
He is inferring that we didn't trade only a first for Reaves and is making a sarcastic joke. It would be like me saying "I cannot believe we traded all those pieces for Dupuis" when we actually also got Marian Hossa.

We didn't trade a first for Reaves. We Traded Sundqvist+31overall pick for Reaves+51nd Overall Pick so we traded Sund for Reaves and moved back 20 spots.
Ha. I was going to use the Hossa/Dupuis trade.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I would be very surprised if Sullivan dresses Reaves in the playoffs. To be honest, it would be a waste of a spot.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I would be very surprised if Sullivan dresses Reaves in the playoffs. To be honest, it would be a waste of a spot.

Seems unlikely he'll have a spot come playoff time, especially if we add a forward at the deadline.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Don't want to get into another enforcer debate, but I've been pretty disappointed with the lack of skull cracking from Reaves. I was at least promised I'd be entertained by booming hits and some sweet punches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad