The Ryan Reaves Debate

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I’ve been seeing lots of discussion about Reaves and his usage, so I created a thread for it. My stance is he should be the 13th foward and only be dressed against teams with goons.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's bad, but people overstate how much of an issue he is. He doesn't play enough per game to get the hatred towards him. It sucks for the 4-6 minutes a night that he plays, but that's also 2 extra minutes a night for better players. He shouldn't be an everyday player, but he's not the big issue on the 4th line. The bigger issue is the players who should be producing better, but aren't.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I think you may as well dress him most regular season game but should be scratched against teams like Chicago and Carolina (Of course he shouldn't see the ice come playoff time). The problem is that he's an AHL bottom 6er playing with guys like Rowney/Kuhnhackl/McKegg who themselves are 12/13th forwards. If he was two 3rd/4th line tweeners then he'd be less of a problem. He shoul

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Yeah 13th forward would be good. There are games where he's useful in the regular season, but he's not good enough to be a regular. Definitely not good enough to be in the way of anyone else getting in the lineup.

Reactions: Shaffer

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
What is there to debate? He's trash. JR seems to think that Reaves, who sees 8 mins of ice if he's lucky, will stop the cheapshots in a league where talent is taking over and where pests and goons are becoming extremely hard to find. And even if there were goons, Reaves wouldn't stop a thing when he barely sees the ice and rightfully so because he's garbage.

Now the only reason he's still in the lineup is simply because of the price JR had to pay to acquire him.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I will say it seems to be a tough concept to swallow for most that we simply will not have abother Matt Cullen fourth line during this attempt at a three peat. When people realize that, they can either choose to put a tremendous amount of whining and hate on our fourth line - or realize that our lack of a true 1-2-3 punch + decent defense is killing us. Couple that with an inured starting goalie for half the season so far and a cup hangover... misguided is the undertone here.

Reaves didnt come in and rock anyone's world - those who hate the move are the most outspoken. My take is that Sully is trying to work the guy into a system of hockey he's never played in the NHL and prepare him to be a speedy big man who may get a goal every 15 games. When comparing a player like that to the Matt Cullen piggybacked line - yeah it sucks - but when considering we might draw an Ottawa or Columbus, it sounds pretty good to have a huge stay at home forward who can plaster people.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I feel like there hasn't been much of an instance yet this season of Sid or Geno taking cheap shots, and us complaining about the league not doing anything. It's more us complaining about how Reaves isn't scoring or driving possession. We never expected the latter; the former could be a case of us not appreciating something not happening because it's well, not happening. Or it could be an irrelevant coincidence.

With that being said, I feel like people would complain about his usage less if it wasn't the combination of having Kuhnackl, Rowney, Sheahan, Mckegg, etc in the lineup as well. If we still had Cullen, and played Simon or Archibald over Kuhn, I feel like most rational people would at least tolerate Reaves' game. The problem is the combination of losing two solid bottom six centers and replacing them with AHLers and a goon. Not specifically Reaves.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Bottom 6 was thought to be the major issue coming into the season. It's not. He's not doing the bottom 6 any favors but he's far from the #1 issue. The issue is the combination of all similar players who add ZERO offense. It's fine if he's the only one. He's not.

Nonetheless, like I said when the trade went down, I don't want him on the team and I'd rather have 4 lines of skill/speed/tenacity. I cannot believe he dresses every game. The whole bottom 6 needs revamped, but surprisingly it's not the #1 issue this year. And that is very surprising.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Sure, he only plays 4-6 minutes a night, but when you have people who can play a better 4-6 (or even, stay with me here, 8-10 minutes) sitting in the press box its a problem. I mean, seems like a really fun dude and a great teammate, but being a nice guy only means something when youre Phil Kessel.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
he's not a good player for this team's system (from what we've seen of him so far). however, i see a lot of people give him a ton of flak for the team's lack of solid performances this season. not 100% people here, but fans in general like to point to Reaves and the Pens trading for him for the team's failures while they'll tirelessly defend the efforts of Letang, the lack of bottom-6 scoring, and topsy-turvy line combinations any time the team struggles.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He was a terrible acquisition...

Shame on anyone that tried to justify this trade in June. He prevents cheap shots? No, he’s wasting a roster spot. I would have liked this move 10 years ago. He’s a awful fit on this team. We used to beat teams with speed and skill.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
So can you name any instances where Sid, Geno, Kessel, Guentzel, or Letang have missed time due to a dirty hit this season? Can you point to a game this season where afterwards the discussion was 'the nhl needs to do something about such and such'? Feel free to correct me, but I recall a lot of that all last season, and none this season.

Reactions: Tweed

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
He doesn't seem to do anything useful out there and I've never bought into the enforcer/deterrent nonsense so, yeah, not looking like a good acquisition right now. Pretty low on the list of concerns though.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I wouldn’t call it the bottom 6...I’d call it the bottom 5. That includes the following: Hagelin, Sheahan, Kuhnhackl, Rowney, Reaves

Sheahan is getting better and is producing actually. Hagelin isn’t, Kuhnhackl isn’t, Rowney isn’t, Reaves isn’t. The issues is our 3LW and 4C. If we get a 3LW who can score(possibly Simon/Sheary), then it would be a 3LW-Sheahan-Rust/Hornqvist line which is a legit and good 3rd line. Then for 4C, I got Cullen penciled in by playoffs, and I think Hagelin-Cullen-Reaves is a very good 4th line.

Reactions: EightyOne

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
My biggest problem with Reaves is that he has been on a line with Rowney/McKegg and Kuhn. It's just not a good mix for a line. Nobody on that line can drive any offense. One or 2 of those guys is fine. Three of them is a problem.
Him with Cullen and Hagelin should do well.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Reaves is a Sheriff. He does his job very well. No one traded for Reaves for his offense.

Exactly. Reaves is doing exactly what we brought him in to do - deter dirtbags from wearing down our superstars with cheap shots. He doesn't need to play every game like he is because those threats aren't present every game, but he is performing the role he was given.

Reactions: wtd and Pens17

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Exactly. Reaves is doing exactly what we brought him in to do - deter dirtbags from wearing down our superstars with cheap shots. He doesn't need to play every game like he is because those threats aren't present every game, but he is performing the role he was given.

The game against Buffalo a week or so ago, the second of the back to backs, that was potentially a physical game with the Sabres playing for pride. Reaves kept that game calm. That's what a good sheriff does. Reaves has only been in 5 fights this year. He's the f***ing champ. What I don't get is some folks trying to equate accidental injuries as to what a sheriff can prevent. That is just stupid and lazy.

Its clear the team is making an effort to stay healthy. I think that is why we can look lethargic and lazy at times. I mean, your other options are Archibald and Rowney at RW. Those guys aren't in playoff mode. Sprong is probably the 3rd call up among forwards.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The game against Buffalo a week or so ago, the second of the back to backs, that was potentially a physical game with the Sabres playing for pride. Reaves kept that game calm. That's what a good sheriff does. Reaves has only been in 5 fights this year. He's the ****ing champ. What I don't get is some folks trying to equate accidental injuries as to what a sheriff can prevent. That is just stupid and lazy.

The mantra after the 1st game was that Reaves should have fought in the last 5 minutes and consequently gotten himself suspended for the 2nd one. Good thing his actions aren't dictated by HF.

Reactions: Badfish87

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
It's very clear to me that our stars are not getting their usual abuse this year. Teams like Winnipeg have been noticeably quiet. That was his job when he came in, and I'm sure JR is happy with the results.

Reactions: Tweed and Badfish87

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This is my analysis.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->