The Return of the Hartford Whalers

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Voice of Reason said:
Not to get too far off course, but is the Hartford Civic Center to only arena left in North America that hasn't sold its naming rights to some corporation? Why is that? I've seen it referred to as MSG-CT, but that's not quite the same thing.

There's a couple still left in Detroit

Joe Louis Arena
The Palace of Auburn Hill (i believe the person who won the naming contest still gets free tickets for every event at the palace)
And i guess you could count Ford Field cause William Clay Ford owns the Lions.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
JWI19 said:
Voice of Reason said:
Not to get too far off course, but is the Hartford Civic Center to only arena left in North America that hasn't sold its naming rights to some corporation? Why is that? I've seen it referred to as MSG-CT, but that's not quite the same thing.

Joe Louis Arena
The Palace of Auburn Hill (i believe the person who won the naming contest still gets free tickets for every event at the palace)

There's also the Nassau Veterans Memorial Mausoleum.

Majik1987

I know kung fu...
Nov 27, 2005
Northern Illinois
JWI19 said:

Joe Louis Arena

If you count Ford Field, you could then count Wrigley Field. How about Fenway Park?

blk25

Feb 25, 2006
Ditto the previous posting. The sorry thing is that the Whalers were drawing to 93% of the Civic Center's capacity. Even more sorry is that the AHL Wolfpack consistently outdraw the Carolina Hurricanes.

One additional thing I might add is that Harford has the misfortune of being sandwiched between the New York and Boston markets, making it tough to recruit a large enough fan base (although Whaler fans were vocal).

Personally, I think the WHA merger back in 1979 was a tough pill for the NHL to swallow and the league is ambivilent to see the four teams that integrated head to other locations -- note that only Edmonton is still in the same spot, but for a variety of economic reasons is vulnerable. Thus, while I would like to see the Whalers return, it doesn't seem likely to happen.

Long Live the Whale! }3

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
blk25 said:
Even more sorry is that the AHL Wolfpack consistently outdraw the Carolina Hurricanes.

That's a pretty laughable statement. What is even more laughable has been the product that the ownership expected people to shell out money to see on a nightly basis the past two years. The team finished almost dead last the past two years, and there aren't many markets in the entire NHL that will shell out money to see a stinker on the ice every night. Take a look at Boston, NYI, and New Jersey. Those traditional markets even have trouble drawing to the arena when they have a bad team.

Compare the numbers between the Wolfpack and the Hurricanes from the past two months, and you'll get a better idea of the fact that Carolina can and will support a team that is put on the ice to win. Plus, AHL tickets are cheaper and there is less sporting event competition in Hartford

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
Carolina blew it, big time, right off the hop. They inherited the Forever .500s, and just should have gone with that as the franchise's new name down there--a perfect NASCAR play. Made in asphalt heaven. They drop that absolute natural, for what? -- a natural disaster.

-- hub

GWhale*

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
We will have to wait and see. This isnt something that we will hear in an announcement next week or anything, it will probably happen sometime after the playoffs. But it will be worth the wait.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Caniacforever said:
Take a look at Boston, NYI, and New Jersey. Those traditional markets even have trouble drawing to the arena when they have a bad team.
New Jersey a traditional market?

Their attendance has always stunk regardless of whether their staus as a perennial cup contender. NJ isn't anything close to a "traditional" market, they have no long history in hockey nor any huge built up fanbase over the decades, no incredibly well supported teams in lesser leagues. No historical significance. Hockey is not now nor has it ever been a major player in New Jersey.... were it not for their success they'd be up with Nashville as the team most popularly cited to move elsewhere.
In their best years they have difficulty approaching even the mid mark of the NHL in terms of attendance, and that was pre-trap high scoring cup winning Devils.
Not exactly a huge surprise that NJ would have difficulty filling the stadium when they've struggled to make the playoffs.

Boston sure, definitely a traditional hockey town, albeit one the ownership seems to take for granted given their treatment of the fanbase over the years. The Islanders also host a major market, however hockey's typically played second fiddle there and the Rangers are the real meal ticket in NY.

I can honestly say I've never heard anyone refer to New Jersey as a traditional hockey market however. 20 odd years of struggling to stay in existence despite frequent success isn't exactly the hallmarks of a hockey mad city.

canes-sth

Feb 21, 2005
blk25 said:
Ditto the previous posting. The sorry thing is that the Whalers were drawing to 93% of the Civic Center's capacity.

In a 16k arena (as mentioned in the article http://www.boston.com/news/local/co...o_buy_penguins_for_possible_move_to_hartford/) the Canes would have a 96% capacity figure. So what?

blk25 said:
Even more sorry is that the AHL Wolfpack consistently outdraw the Carolina Hurricanes.

AHL Attendance
http://sports.ctnow.com/default.asp?c=ctnow&page=mlh/stat/ahl-attendance.htm

Hartford Wolfpack 4,998

That would have been funny.....it it had been anywhere near true. :shakehead

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Cablevision(Rangers)and Comcast(Flyers)have a 50/50 partnership in Fox Sports New England with Cablevision being the managing general partner.If the Penguins moved to Hartford,it opens up the door for FSN NE to add a NHL team to their Boston Celtics coverage

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
RangerBoy said:
Cablevision(Rangers)and Comcast(Flyers)have a 50/50 partnership in Fox Sports New England with Cablevision being the managing general partner.If the Penguins moved to Hartford,it opens up the door for FSN NE to add a NHL team to their Boston Celtics coverage

ah... the good ol' Sports Channel days... the Hartford Whalers would be back home.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
RangerBoy said:
FSNE really, really needs the programming, too. Except for the Celtics and a half hour sports show, its all syndicated Fox Sports crap that nobody watches. I'd love to see it happen, just so I can watch Whalers games in Boston.

As for New Jersey, they are in no way a traditional market. Even when they were winning, they struggled. They were paying to get their games on the radio for quite a while. They had trouble selling out the 1st round of the playoffs in the 90s. And I believe they were one of the teams playing fake crowd noise on their PA. They're doing better now, and thats a credit to their organization.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
dafoomie said:
FSNE really, really needs the programming, too. Except for the Celtics and a half hour sports show, its all syndicated Fox Sports crap that nobody watches. I'd love to see it happen, just so I can watch Whalers games in Boston.

Strike up the brass bang.I loved that song :handclap:

bamdelabam

Feb 13, 2006
753bc9ea.jpg

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
shawnmullin said:
Toronto?? Is someone actually trying to bring a second team to Toronto?

I mean, I think it would work, but since when?

This is great news. Toronto, like Boston, has been hoping to get an NHL franchise for decades!

--hub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad